U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
California 4 36.36%
Switzerland 5 45.45%
Sichuan 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,770,558 times

Advertisements

How would you compare these places in terms of natural beauty and overall travel experience?

California:

- Most diverse of all 3. Got mountains, beaches, deserts, forests, and lots more.
- On par with Switzerland in terms of cost but likely cheaper for Americans (due to not having to travel overseas.)

Switzerland:

- Probably least crowded of the three.
- Also likely has the least natural features of the three (you better be a fan of mountains if you're gonna spend time here.)
- About as expensive as California but may be cheaper for Europeans.
- Most developed infrastructure of the three.

Sichuan:

- Some geographic diversity (tropical forests, alpine meadows, etc.) California has every geographic feature they've got but they lack beaches and deserts.
- Probably the most crowded of the three but some areas of the province are very sparsely populated (esp near the border with Tibet.)
- Least developed of the three but also the cheapest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,405,549 times
What a strange comparison. I would never even think to compare Switzerland to California...and Sichuan? I doubt you will find many, if any, that have been there.

Switzerland is much more expensive than California and is much more crowded except in the alpines. You sure you have been to Switzerland?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,540,967 times
Why would you want to compare a very diverse state with a country of mountains, lakes and beautiful meadows and villages or with a part of a country that offers a much more exotic experience?

P.S. Switzerland is just as expensive for Europeans.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:54 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,770,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What a strange comparison. I would never even think to compare Switzerland to California...and Sichuan? I doubt you will find many, if any, that have been there.

Switzerland is much more expensive than California and is much more crowded except in the alpines. You sure you have been to Switzerland?
Isn't that the whole point. Most common comparisons have already been done here and won't warrant a separate thread.

I've lived in both places.. the cities definitely are not as crowded as Californian cities for sure though the rural areas may be somewhat more populated than rural California.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,540,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've lived in both places.. the cities definitely are not as crowded as Californian cities for sure though the rural areas may be somewhat more populated than rural California.
Thought there were three places. Did I miss something?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
I would pick California, for diversity. California does not only have cities (which I am not that much interested in), but has a very diverse landscape. I love national parks such as Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Death Valley, Lassen Volcanic, Joshua Tree, ... you have snow covered mountains as well as beaches or deserts, Lake Tahoe, forests, ...
You have great food, good wineries (tasting tours in Sonoma or Napa), you have a lot of water-related activites and a beautiful coastline.

I also like Switzerland, but it is expensive as hell and while it is beautiful, it is not extraordinary diverse, even though it offers rather Italian atmosphere in Lugano and rather high Alpine atmosphere at other places.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:52 PM

5,938 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Chengdu is one of my favorite cities in the world, I'd pick it to travel in over most others for the food alone. It's a perfect mix of old and new... on one street you can have lunch at one of those traditional spicy rabbit head places then walk a few blocks further and be eating Tex Mex at Peter's.

Before they split Chongqing into it's own bull**** province I'd say Sichuan had two of the great culinary cities in the world for spicy food lovers.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:04 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,604,445 times
I was born in Sichuan, lived in Switzerland for over a year, and now live in America. I have been to California a few times.

Sichuan is way bigger, and very diverse, so it is hard to compare. Sichuan food is the most influential in China, and it is becoming popular in America too. Anyway I would like to post some photos of Sichuan to promote it

Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times
1) Sichuan
2) Switzerland

103) California

YMMV, but I do happen to get to CA much more frequently than Switzerland or Sichuan (at the ment) Lived in all three.

Switzerland is NOT CHEAP, but the others can be done on a dime. Glad I brought home my Raclette cooker! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

I like Mtns, so all three fit me.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
I can't speak for Sichuan except to say I would love to go.

As for Switzerland & California, it's a pretty odd comparison. Switzerland is the most expensive place I have ever visited. The food and wine are good, and the mountains are stunning. Zurich is a pretty city, but not exactly the most exciting urban area around (and I understand the same can be said of Geneva). California is ~10x larger than Switzerland. It is the most geographically diverse US State, and home to one out of eight Americans.

The Sierras are stunning, and offer every bit as much recreational enjoyment as the Alps. California's coast and old growth redwood forests are justifiably acclaimed.

The Southland and the Greater Bay Area are much more exciting urban areas than Switzerland offers. I'll take California for food & wine as well as art & architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or