U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 PM

285 posts, read 296,131 times

Advertisements

March/April is not hurricane season, but it is Spring Break season, so at minimum, I'd expect higher costs. As others have said, if you're looking for an all-inclusive, beach, pool, cocktails vacations, and don't plan to venture much beyond the resort, I find most of Mexico/Caribbean to be very similar. Search on a booking site for all-inclusives, price out flights, and pick one that meets your budget (and has good reviews, of course). You'll have a great time. Don't overthink it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 913 times
Thank you all again for your input. Sorry I didn't mention, we are from East Coast. Although cruises are fun, we opted out of that due to fact he's been on one and got very sick.
Thank you fro bringing up the Spring Break issue that I hadn't even considered. That leaves us leaning more towards the quieter relaxed island, not to say there's anything wrong with the younger more energetic crowd. At this time we will look for the quieter relaxed destination.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM

9,074 posts, read 9,502,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer95 View Post
Thank you all again for your input. Sorry I didn't mention, we are from East Coast. Although cruises are fun, we opted out of that due to fact he's been on one and got very sick.
Thank you fro bringing up the Spring Break issue that I hadn't even considered. That leaves us leaning more towards the quieter relaxed island, not to say there's anything wrong with the younger more energetic crowd. At this time we will look for the quieter relaxed destination.
This makes me want to recommend the resort we stayed at in Jamaica even more! It was so laid back, so relaxing. Not a party crowd. Unlike other all inclusives, they don't hound you to join group activities (though they have them if you want to), they don't pump loud music at the pool. There are glass bottom boat tours, snorkeling (even night snorkel), scuba (you can get certified on site), paddleboards, cattamatan cruises, etc all included. Because the resort is adults/couples only, I don't think you would get a typical spring break crowd.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,987,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Cruises are fun. If you pick a southern Caribbean route you will need to leave from Puerto Rico but that can be all part of the fun. If you have never cruised before I suggest a 7 day to start. Sort of get your sea legs as it were. Many to choose from.

I second a cruise! Hurricane season is June-October, so you'll be fine! Most of your food is included. I have been on many cruises and I like Royal Caribbean best. What's nice about a cruise is you can see a few different places instead of just one. You can book tours, etc through the cruise line. I do suggest booking airfare separate though as it seems more expensive to book that with your cruise, but sometimes they have a package deal. Cruises are very economical! If you watch the site they always have deals! I booked the cruise we are going on in the fall with 30% off and free upgrade! Came out to $2300 for 4 people for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with balcony room. www.RCCL.com

FYI.....If you leave out of a U.S. port and return to a U.S. port such as Miami, or Texas, etc. then you do not need a passport. Lots of cruises out of U.S. ports. Otherwise if you sail out of Puerto Rico or a foreign port you will need a passport.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,987,012 times
[quote=CGab;48827065]

Oop's well, I also started to say a cruise but saw you are not into that. Then I'd have to recommend the following in order of what I thought was nicest.

1. Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands)
2. Maui
3. Aruba
4. Cabo
5. Jamaica

Maui and Grand Cayman will cost the most. With Cabo and Jamaica being least expensive. And yes, March is spring break! So lots of college kids and families will be traveling at that time. I would think your best bet in that case would be somewhere more expensive so that crowd is not around.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,548,773 times
Roatan or Ambergris cage would be my choices. Best of both worlds!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
[quote=CGab;48827065]I second a cruise! Hurricane season is June-October, so you'll be fine! Most of your food is included. I have been on many cruises and I like Royal Caribbean best. What's nice about a cruise is you can see a few different places instead of just one. You can book tours, etc through the cruise line. I do suggest booking airfare separate though as it seems more expensive to book that with your cruise, but sometimes they have a package deal. Cruises are very economical! If you watch the site they always have deals! I booked the cruise we are going on in the fall with 30% off and free upgrade! Came out to $2300 for 4 people for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with balcony room. www.RCCL.com

FYI.....If you leave out of a U.S. port and return to a U.S. port such as Miami, or Texas, etc. then you do not need a passport. Lots of cruises out of U.S. ports. Otherwise if you sail out of Puerto Rico or a foreign port you will need a passport.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that is true. You need to bring your passport to the debarking point. I have taken two cruises and they both were Royal Caribbean as well. So I agree with you there. You don't need it off shore cause you have the cruise ID card. The cruise lines will be alerted should you need to present a passport. It should be in your room with you on board.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
SE USA,
SWA is flying FLL to Turks and Caicos for $59 one way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or