U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:14 AM
F18

552 posts, read 391,350 times

Advertisements

No I just prefer Lisbon over Barcelona. I just expressed my opinion. You're the one with the propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 AM

12,878 posts, read 14,172,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I don't care what international rankings say or classify. Lisbon is an amazing, beautiful city, with tonnes of tourists. Not to mention how it is much safer, cleaner and prettier. The Lisbon's view is so much more beautiful and breathtaking than Barcelona's which is becoming a 2nd Venice (although Venice is much nicer). It is clear that you've never been to Lisbon.
P.S.: I know it's you Junter. And you told me that you've never been to Lisbon.
I live in Europe and have had the pleasure of visiting Lisbon and Barcelona many times. I like both cities very much, but not for the same reasons. They are quite different, and in my opinion it borders on a silly child's game to compare them as if they had to meet the criteria of the same checklist as Waldau seems to want to do.

I happen to prefer Lisbon because it is smaller, I like the proximity to the river, I find the service people on the whole more relaxed and friendly, etc., etc. I always have a relaxed time there, even when I am sightseeing.

Barcelona, on the other hand, in some of its drawbacks reminds me of NYC, where I lived for more than forty years. But when I go there, I do my best to ignore those and enjoy the other things I came for and there are many. In fact as soon as the tourist glut is over in Barcelona, I shall book again at the same ol' hotel that I always go to and take off, and when I come back I will stay in Lisbon for a couple of days - for an entirely different experience.

I am fortunate that I am able to often visit both cities in the same trip.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 AM

29,570 posts, read 16,560,082 times
Why do so many people trash places that are "touristy"? Most of the time there is a good reason why people want to go to places. Interesting places attract a lot of people.

If you want to avoid "touristy" places, go to Siberia or Somalia. I've been to dozens of "touristy" places like Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Cape Town, Wall of China, Paris, Terra Cotta Warriors, and Alhambra and enjoyed all of them.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM

2,131 posts, read 2,921,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do so many people trash places that are "touristy"? Most of the time there is a good reason why people want to go to places. Interesting places attract a lot of people.

If you want to avoid "touristy" places, go to Siberia or Somalia. I've been to dozens of "touristy" places like Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Cape Town, Wall of China, Paris, Terra Cotta Warriors, and Alhambra and enjoyed all of them.
It's a childish way to show off, really. Same as the silly argument regarding 'traveller' vs 'tourist'.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM

11,724 posts, read 6,468,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Another vote for Lisbon, Europe's sunniest capital. For what it's worth Portugal's capital is cheaper and built on 7 hills like Rome. It's beautiful.. Some call it a poor man's Paris. I think the main sites can be covered in 2 days as opposed to Barcelona. The Familia Sagrada by itself could take an entire morning.
Europe's sunniest capital city is actually Valletta, Malta with just over 3,000 hrs per year. Lisbon averages 2,800 hrs...

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM

3,222 posts, read 3,217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
OK, I am very embarrassed. I screwed up the thread title. It should say "Madrid or Barcelona".

We will be in Lisbon and then have two days in either Madrid or Barcelona. We are leaning toward Barcelona.

Sorry for the error.
My vote goes to Madrid.

Both are great cities.

If you said 3 days I would have probably said Barcelona. But it's purely based on personal preference--I just think you need more time in Barcelona which is why I say Madrid for 2 days. Considering the things I liked in Madrid I think you could have a decent time there for 2 days. In Barcelona I think it might be harder to leave and you may find yourself wishing just a bit more you'd stayed in Barcelona longer for some things (that happens to me sometimes)...but again that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel