Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:24 PM

417 posts, read 816,263 times

Advertisements

Funny, when I thought the choices were Lisbon or Barcelona, I was going to respond that I'd choose Lisbon, but if Madrid were in the mix, Madrid would be my first choice!

I think your true answer depends on whether you prefer historical or "modern." What I loved about Madrid was the sense of history, and the more classical architecture vs Barcelona. I love art, and the there are such great museums in Madrid.

Barcelona has a more "modern" feel. The architecture was unique but not necessarily to my personal taste. I found Barcelona to be a little bit gritty. Was not as impressed with it as others are. But if you like cities with a modern feel, you may like Barcelona better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM

337 posts, read 276,465 times
For 2 days, Barcelona but I have never been to Lisbon. The joke is, I didn't really care for Barcelona and wouldn't go back, but I think you can have a fun time for something like a weekend.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:59 PM

337 posts, read 276,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Funny, when I thought the choices were Lisbon or Barcelona, I was going to respond that I'd choose Lisbon, but if Madrid were in the mix, Madrid would be my first choice!

I think your true answer depends on whether you prefer historical or "modern." What I loved about Madrid was the sense of history, and the more classical architecture vs Barcelona. I love art, and the there are such great museums in Madrid.

Barcelona has a more "modern" feel. The architecture was unique but not necessarily to my personal taste. I found Barcelona to be a little bit gritty. Was not as impressed with it as others are. But if you like cities with a modern feel, you may like Barcelona better.
Oh I caught the Madrid not Lisbon thing now LOL. I've never been to Madrid, but I heard it described like and would describe Barcelona EXACTLY how you worded it. I actually had a boyfriend years ago who was Spanish American and grew up for years in Madrid. The way he described it sounded like what I expected Barcelona to be.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I have been to both Lisbon and Barcellna, but my Lisbon trip was over 30 years ago while I have been to Barcelona twice in the last 2 years.

I really liked both cities but because of the amount of time that has elapsed since Lisbon, it's hard to do a direct comparison .

I can only say that I really loved Barcelona both times and highly recommend it. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM

360 posts, read 372,143 times
Barcelona is a great city, if I have the chance I would visit it another time soon.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,306 times
Lisbon is way better and superior to Barcelona. Cheaper, prettier, cleaner, better food, better beaches, nicer and more polite locals and much safer.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Both are great, but Lisbon is significantly less crowded and touristy.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,171,277 times
I've never been to Barcelona and it is on the top of my list of "next time" cities. I have been to Madrid and really enjoyed it.

However, Lisbon is at/near the top of all of the places I have ever been. My wife, who has traveled extensively, says the same. As others mentioned, it is cheap, gorgeous, less touristy (although it seems to be getting more touristy) friendly and easy to get around.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 AM
F18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldau View Post
False, Barcelona plays in a much superior league than Lisbon does, Barcelona is an Alpha city while Lisbon is barely a Beta- one (in the classification of cities of the world, Google that)

Lisbon is much uglier and has much less interesting things to do, and it's very dirty mostly unless in the center and monuments. The only true thing is that is cheaper and less crowded, but that's not enough to surpass one of the world's best cities. In fact it's even cruel to make a comparison between both, as Lisbon can barely compete with a 2nd class city of Spain, Italy or France, not with a 1st class one.
I don't care what international rankings say or classify. Lisbon is an amazing, beautiful city, with tonnes of tourists. Not to mention how it is much safer, cleaner and prettier. The Lisbon's view is so much more beautiful and breathtaking than Barcelona's which is becoming a 2nd Venice (although Venice is much nicer). It is clear that you've never been to Lisbon.
P.S.: I know it's you Junter. And you told me that you've never been to Lisbon.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 AM
F18

Millions of tourists visit Lisbon every year. And it is clear that you don't know a single thing about Lisbon. You've never been there and this is clear. Anyone who visits Lisbon will tell that 1 day is not enough and there is more outside Lisbon than Sintra.
P.S.: Other users, Do not respond to Waldau he is a very known Spanish troll. Just ask anyone on the weather forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel