U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 PM

13,213 posts, read 6,313,926 times

Advertisements

The Big Island has lava flow and pretty inexpensive compare to Maui.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM

5,805 posts, read 3,257,340 times
The Big Island of Hawaii was one of my favorite places in the world. It wasn't touristy on the East side. My friend and I stayed in the little village of Laupahoehoe near Hilo. There were many beaches that we had all to ourselves because we went out exploring and didn't stick around the tourist attraction areas. We went snorkeling and hiking to waterfalls, saw wildlife and met lovely people there. I'd highly recommend The Big Island, personally. There's a lot more room to move around and get away from people.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM

735 posts, read 609,717 times
As for water temperatures, remember that Hawaii is in the middle of the deep, dark and cold Pacific, while the Caribbean, in comparison is much shallower.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:04 PM

335 posts, read 296,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
When I went over Xmas, Pearl Harbor sold out quickly and was very expensive.

Honolulu is nice (as is Waikiki Beach) but very touristy.

Diamond head is absolutely beautiful but again, crowded.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWoXBO7D...ed=diamondhead

Big Island was worth a day or so
Just wanted to add that I have spent 16 days over two separate trips on the Big Island and still haven't come close to seeing everything on the Big Island. A day or so is nowhere near enough time for the Big Island, unless you are only coming to the VPN to see lava.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:22 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,648,337 times
It took me 10 years of living here full time to feel like I'd seen all I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
Just wanted to add that I have spent 16 days over two separate trips on the Big Island and still haven't come close to seeing everything on the Big Island. A day or so is nowhere near enough time for the Big Island, unless you are only coming to the VPN to see lava.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,904,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If long wide sandy beach is what OP is looking for, Maui is a good choice.
I found the ocean water in Hawaii is colder than the tropical beaches that I used to.
I've only been to Maui (Kaanapali) and the water was cold. It was a gorgeous island though. I was 20 and had not traveled as much as I have now. We did touristy things...whale watch, visited Lahaina, did the luau thing at a resort. My favorite memory was a helicopter tour of the island, that will stay with me forever.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,608,360 times
OP: if you are going with two adult children, unless they are in college ( and then I'd wait until they are out) I'd NOT recommend going on spring break. Its likely to be more crowded than say the last week of January first of February. That's when we like to go. Next time is 2020 for our 20th anniversary.

I've never been to the big island as I'm asthmatic and the VOG might be too much for me.

Oahu: do the Iolani palace, the Polynesian cultural center, drive along north shore, sunset Beach, etc, and climb diamond Head. It's worth the view! Also pick a botanical garden or two. We enjoyed Bishop's. That can be a day of "rest", a leisurely stroll through the garden.

We won't set foot near Pearl harbor, not out of disrespect, but we are sensitive to areas like that, even Gettysburg is now a no-go.
But you are certainly welcome to go.
We loved Waikiki. But it was not high tourist season so I don't know what it's like then.

I don't know what the fuss is. We found the Moana to be cool, but not cold even in January. Maybe since we never sunk into a carribean waters, we might think differently.
And maybe the water is actually warmer in winter, I don't know.

We always go on a budget, I'm budgeting about$3500 for 2020 for the two of us, going in the fall this time as an extension to Summer here. That's for a week, including airfare RT. It will mostly be Maui this time....

Also stop over to the Hawaii forum HERE on C-d!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 AM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Great question as on my list for next year

My main goal is vacation house or condo, not a hotel so we can eat some meals there.
Of course want to see Pearl Harbor, do a luau, beaches
I've been to a condo on Maui many times. One great way to save money if you are planning to cook most of your meals is to bring small amounts of herbs and spices you might use, as well as small jars/bottles of mayo, mustard, ketchup, steak sauce etc. It will save you a ton of money on your first grocery shop.

Try to think about what you'll be cooking and bring supplies accordingly.

Another tip, especially if you are getting an oceanfront condo and are going during the whale watching season (approx Dec-March), bring binoculars!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 545,573 times
There are many more things to see in Oahu:

(1) Pali Lookout:

Panoramic view of the North side of Oahu. You can view as far as Kaneohe Marine Base. But it is really windy up there. Girls shouldn't wear skirts.

(2) Byodo-In Temple:

Replica of Byodo-In Temple in Kyoto, Japan. You can feed carps as well as birds. The only place that birds will stay on your palm to eat the feed.

(3) Hanauma Bay:

Where can you find in the world schools of fish swimming around you in waist deep water?

(4) Ko Olina Lagoons:

4 man-made lagoons with calm water that is best for kids. The lagoons are linked by palm tree lined walkways.

(5) Makapuu Lighthouse trail:

Paved easy to walk trail. If you are lucky, you may even be able to see whales (binoculars installed). Or even talk to those sky gliders above you.

(6) Waimea Valley:

Lush botanical garden with all kinds of tropical vegetation.

(7) Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach:

Mile long beaches with very soft and powdery sand. Both have been chosen as one of the 10 Best Beaches in U.S.

But an advice: Avoid weekends. Most likely they are crowded and you can't find parking.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:02 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There are many more things to see in Oahu:

(1) Pali Lookout:

Panoramic view of the North side of Oahu. You can view as far as Kaneohe Marine Base. But it is really windy up there. Girls shouldn't wear skirts.

Yeah. I have never seen wind that strong. It is like jet engine blowing at you.

Last edited by Nn2036; 07-19-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or