U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 6,397,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There are many more things to see in Oahu:

(1) Pali Lookout:

Panoramic view of the North side of Oahu. You can view as far as Kaneohe Marine Base. But it is really windy up there. Girls shouldn't wear skirts.

(2) Byodo-In Temple:

Replica of Byodo-In Temple in Kyoto, Japan. You can feed carps as well as birds. The only place that birds will stay on your palm to eat the feed.

(3) Hanauma Bay:

Where can you find in the world schools of fish swimming around you in waist deep water?

(4) Ko Olina Lagoons:

4 man-made lagoons with calm water that is best for kids. The lagoons are linked by palm tree lined walkways.

(5) Makapuu Lighthouse trail:

Paved easy to walk trail. If you are lucky, you may even be able to see whales (binoculars installed). Or even talk to those sky gliders above you.

(6) Waimea Valley:

Lush botanical garden with all kinds of tropical vegetation.

(7) Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach:

Mile long beaches with very soft and powdery sand. Both have been chosen as one of the 10 Best Beaches in U.S.

But an advice: Avoid weekends. Most likely they are crowded and you can't find parking.
Thank you for your post. I'm going there again next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 PM

3,636 posts, read 1,570,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There are many more things to see in Oahu:

(1) Pali Lookout:

Panoramic view of the North side of Oahu. You can view as far as Kaneohe Marine Base. But it is really windy up there. Girls shouldn't wear skirts.

(2) Byodo-In Temple:

Replica of Byodo-In Temple in Kyoto, Japan. You can feed carps as well as birds. The only place that birds will stay on your palm to eat the feed.

(3) Hanauma Bay:

Where can you find in the world schools of fish swimming around you in waist deep water?

(4) Ko Olina Lagoons:

4 man-made lagoons with calm water that is best for kids. The lagoons are linked by palm tree lined walkways.

(5) Makapuu Lighthouse trail:

Paved easy to walk trail. If you are lucky, you may even be able to see whales (binoculars installed). Or even talk to those sky gliders above you.

(6) Waimea Valley:

Lush botanical garden with all kinds of tropical vegetation.

(7) Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach:

Mile long beaches with very soft and powdery sand. Both have been chosen as one of the 10 Best Beaches in U.S.

But an advice: Avoid weekends. Most likely they are crowded and you can't find parking.
I would add 2 more places.

1) Waianae coast - Go past Ko Elina for another 15-20 miles and you have the best blue water on the entire island. The tides can get unpredictable sometimes and deep . At the end you have a spot called Yokohama bay, I found that to be the prettiest among all the beaches with beach and mountains side by side . The area looks "ghetto" "rough" or "third world" but I didn't feel unsafe. Lots of relatively cheaper options to stay too.

And also recommend the Coquitos restaurant on the same road.

2) If you want secluded and quiet beaches, go to the South near Kapolei like Nimitz, White plains and Eisenhower. They aren't crowded at all and you can have the beaches for yourself.

Taco del mar was another taco shop that is recommended in this area.

To the OP, if you like exploring the nature, I suggest you skip Oahu. I found the Big and Kauai islands much more beautiful than Oahu.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 AM

34,461 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Thanks all, now have much to research.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM

1,369 posts, read 553,462 times
I suggest you skip Oahu. I found the Big and Kauai islands much more beautiful than Oahu.

Have you heard of Sacred Fall and Stairway to Heaven?

Both hiking trails are in Oahu. But both are closed for safety reason. Those who have been on the trail said the view is magnificent.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM

39,891 posts, read 3,027,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
When I went over Xmas, Pearl Harbor sold out quickly and was very expensive.

Honolulu is nice (as is Waikiki Beach) but very touristy.

Diamond head is absolutely beautiful but again, crowded.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWoXBO7D...ed=diamondhead

Big Island was worth a day or so
Pearl Harbor sells out every day, so you need to be in line before 8.30 am. It is a free tour. Don;t know what you found expensive about it.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

1,744 posts, read 3,204,080 times
Since it hasn’t been mentioned specifically, don’t overlook Hana on Maui. We’ve been staying there for 3 nights each trip the past couple years and are going again this winter. Our favorite hike of all time is the Pipiwai Trail a short drive from Hana. Really an amazing trail.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 PM

5,719 posts, read 3,671,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Want to stay away from the resort type places and experience rural Hawaii. both kids want to get to see live flowing lava, eat Hawaiian food and do their shopping thing, could rent a car and drive around the big island,beaches arent that important.
Hilo would be perfect for you. By that I mean both the city itself and the eastern side of the Big Island, from Waimea down to Hilo and then from Hilo down to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and perhaps farther down to Naalehu. The Hilo side is very lush and tropical, especially the Hamakua Coast from Hilo up to Honokaa. And while Hilo has the standard amenities (restaurants, hotels, shops, etc.), it's not touristy like most of the rest of the state.

In general, I don't think you'd like Oahu. But you should still visit Pearl Harbor anyway. It's an experience like no other. You can order free tickets online at one of the National Park websites, I think it's Recreation.dot.gov. You can order up to a certain length of time ahead, I think it's two months. Figure out what day you want to visit and go on that site exactly that amount of time beforehand; the tickets get snatched up pretty quickly.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:24 PM

337 posts, read 177,641 times
Aloha I used to live on the Big Island. I know Hawaii has gotten very touristy, but it still is one of my favorite places to travel to for a tropical trip over everywhere else despite the price.

For 10 days, you could easily do Oahu with the Big Island with kids. I would do 3-4 nights in Waikiki to do Pearl Harbor, hike around Diamond Head, the zoo, and snorkel at Hanauma Bay. I think the Big Island has a lot to do including Volcano and some amazing snorkeling, but I know you guys said that you weren't that into the beach. I'm not sure what to tell you because aside from some museums, shopping, gardens, Volcano and Pearl Harbor, most of what people come to Hawaii for is for the beaches.

If you really though want to spend little to no time at the beach, I would maybe do something like this:
4 night Waikiki, 2 nights Hilo, and 3 nights in Maui around Kihei to do the Road to Hana (overrated but I think it's something everyone should do once).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or