U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:06 PM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times

Advertisements

Sitting around the supper table last night and the topic came up as to where the family should go for next spring break,Hawaii was a favorite destination. Will have 10 days ,traveling with wife and two adult kids.
Any tips or words of advice to help us plan this vacation.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 05:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
I would recommend Kauai, Na Pali coast and Kalalau trail. Its beauty is out of this world.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:32 PM

679 posts, read 618,614 times
I would recommend some research, lots of info out there. Personally I find Kauai very boring, yes the Na Pali coast is pretty, pretty expensive to see as well - need a boat or helicopter trip to see it, the rest of Kauai can be 'done' totally in one day. Just Google each island, maybe plan to spend a day or few days on each of the four major islands.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,869,671 times
Start with the most important item:
Are you going to see & enjoy Hawaii or are you going to be a tourist on Hawaii?

I have known people who booked these expensive exotic relaxation adventure, secluded excursions to Hawaii yet came back unfulfilled as they were expecting the Don Ho, Hula Dancing, Malo & Coconut Bras, Pig-in-a-Pit Luau experiences.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sitting around the supper table last night and the topic came up as to where the family should go for next spring break,Hawaii was a favorite destination. Will have 10 days ,traveling with wife and two adult kids.
Any tips or words of advice to help us plan this vacation.

Thanks
Great question as on my list for next year

My main goal is vacation house or condo, not a hotel so we can eat some meals there.
Of course want to see Pearl Harbor, do a luau, beaches

Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times
I'll admit upfront, DH and I were underwhelmed with Hawaii. Between the sky high prices of everything, the short beaches (I wanted big long beaches like you find on the east cost), the crowds, and the commercialization of the entire culture.

That said, we don't have kids, so maybe with kids it's a good trip. In any event, I would very very very much encourage you to take the to Pearl Harbor. And before you go, read about what this event meant to America and the world.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 AM

735 posts, read 611,395 times
I agree with Rabrrita you need to know what you are looking for in a vacation. I love Kauai, but then again I am a happy beach bum that likes to hike, if ten days of sitting at a beach seems like hell, then skip the island or maybe only plan a short stay.

Maui is the touristy island, it has great beaches, plenty to do and I know a lot of people who go back year after year and love it. Oahu is the hub of the chain of island, you can take buses, you can find all sorts of beaches, it's where Pearl Harbor is, plenty of touristy ways to experience the culture. HNL is a bustling city, the north shore is more relaxed and no shortage of beaches between the two. Finally, the Big Island, compared to the other ones, it's really big! That is the one that has the volcano and you will have to decide between being based in Hilo or Kona, though with ten days you can split the difference. Kona is more touristy, Hilo is wetter and not as built up, but it also has hot ponds. What is a hot pond, it's ocean water warmed by underground volcanic activities and it is filled with marine life. If you decide on Hilo, I would recommend looking into a VRBO or an airbnb that has it's own hot pond, but if you don't there a couple of larger "ponds" that have lifeguards.

Ask more questions as you narrow down what your family wants out of this vacation and happy planning!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll admit upfront, DH and I were underwhelmed with Hawaii. Between the sky high prices of everything, the short beaches (I wanted big long beaches like you find on the east cost), the crowds, and the commercialization of the entire culture.

That said, we don't have kids, so maybe with kids it's a good trip. In any event, I would very very very much encourage you to take the to Pearl Harbor. And before you go, read about what this event meant to America and the world.
If long wide sandy beach is what OP is looking for, Maui is a good choice.
I found the ocean water in Hawaii is colder than the tropical beaches that I used to.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,204,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If long wide sandy beach is what OP is looking for, Maui is a good choice.
I found the ocean water in Hawaii is colder than the tropical beaches that I used to.

I was wondering if someone else might mention this.

I found the water surprisingly cold in Oahu and this is after visiting in July twice and once in the month of November. It was a bit cold in Kauai to me as well.

I think I'm used to warmer water temps in the southeast/caribbean. However, I actually liked it that way (I prefer this to feeling like I'm in a warm bathtub)....but I wouldn't visit outside of summer for this reason FYI.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:54 AM

11,735 posts, read 6,312,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

You didn't look around enough if you found everything expensive in Hawaii, especially if you were on Oahu. There are many great, cheap eateries here if you know where/how to find them.

And there are a few long/wide beaches here. Again, you have to know where to look. Sunset Beach on the North Shore of Oahu is a personal favorite of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or