U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
10,186 posts, read 7,792,454 times
Reputation: 5091

Advertisements

Have you came across a rude, arrogant bus driver? If so, can you share your experience?

I haven't been in a bus in 7 years. So I'm not aware how things work today as they're run by smart cards. All I did was waved the card in front of the machine, and the bus driver yelled at me, saying, "you don't wave it, you hold it against the thing!", mocking the way I waved it. I simply told him that I haven't used these cards before and he blabbered something, where then I told to "show some manners" and exited. I felt really humiliated in front of other passengers. This is my first time driving in a bus after that hiatus and this is what I get.

A lot of people complain about rude bus services here in Sydney. And they have had worse, more humiliating and aggressive experiences than me (insults, violent assaults, etc). Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,710 posts, read 6,293,874 times
Reputation: 11546
Funny that you're in Sydney as I experienced a very rude driver there, too, when I lived there for a few months in 2013. I had just gotten on the bus and, being new to the city/country, asked the bus driver a question. The bus driver looked disgusted that I would talk to him and told me in not such a nice way to leave him alone (I'm black, but am not one to play the race card unless its warranted, but the way I was treated did make me question things, especially as this bus driver was more pleasant when answering questions from white passengers . . . the bus driver looked Middle Eastern btw). Other passengers saw the way I was treated and came over to see if I was okay. It was just bizarre and uncalled for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
10,186 posts, read 7,792,454 times
Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Funny that you're in Sydney as I experienced a very rude driver there, too, when I lived there for a few months in 2013. I had just gotten on the bus and, being new to the city/country, asked the bus driver a question. The bus driver looked disgusted that I would talk to him and told me in not such a nice way to leave him alone (I'm black, but am not one to play the race card unless its warranted, but the way I was treated did make me question things, especially as this bus driver was more pleasant when answering questions from white passengers . . . the bus driver looked Middle Eastern btw). Other passengers saw the way I was treated and came over to see if I was okay. It was just bizarre and uncalled for.
I have a similar complexion to that bus driver (he looked Southern European), so racism is not the only factor to their rudeness. Bus drivers tend to be bitter and smug for some reason in here. I really don't why they're that way. The government must do something. Regardless of their race, they always look naturally angry and disgusted with a scowl, and would want to argue with you for no reason, even if you ask them basic questions. I don't get it.

I'm sorry for your experience. That is truly disgusting. Did you say anything back to him? Like "are you okay?" or "I beg your pardon". You should've filed for complaint at the Transport NSW website (I did the same). Australians in general are pretty friendly and laidback. Our customer services are usually really nice. It's just our bus drivers.

Thanks to smartcards, Sydney bus drivers have a relatively easy job nowadays. You just sit and drive, and, unlike the old days, you don't have to deal with cash (minus a few folks) where they'd waste your time and stand in a queue to pay you. So why the unfriendliness and bitterness? Now nobody's telling them to smile and say hi, but do they have to be pricks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 AM
 
32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Reputation: 14956
In NYC they don't use smartcards on the bus/es (or even the subway trains). They are using older technology which is card slides back & fore in the machine like a swiping motion. I haven't heard on anyone having specific problems with NYC bus drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,582 posts, read 4,290,476 times
Reputation: 1447
I've encountered surly bus drivers in Miami, NYC and Vancouver.

Not on a bus but in London, I told off an attendant who was annoyed I didn't tap my Oyster card at the right moment. I'm not one to not say a word back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,049,264 times
Reputation: 4133
You can complain to the bus company, which is what I'd advise. Don't waste your time or energy getting into a verbal battle with the driver... but take a note of the bus number (probably found overhead, near the front of the bus... not the route number, but the number of the bus itself). Then send an email to the bus company telling them all about it.

I rely on the bus to get around, I'm carless, and it's pretty rare that I see a driver act over-the-top rude. But I've seen a couple of them fly off the handle at riders. To be fair, I've also seen riders yell or swear at drivers for no reason. So it goes both ways, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,231,032 times
Reputation: 3346
The only experiences I've ever had with an over-the-top rude bus drivers were almost 15 years apart. First was on a public bus I took while visiting San Antonio, Texas back in 2001. I was just in high school at the time, but I still remember how abrasive, curt, and arrogant that driver's behavior was toward his customers. He even stopped the bus to take a 15-minute break without warning us of his intentions or getting another driver to continue driving.

Second was on a private tour bus in Los Angeles. Same demeanor, more or less, as the man in San Antonio; he even berated a Chinese family for getting on our bus when they should have been on another bus. That Chinese family finally found their bus after experiencing a little bit of shock. Anyway, the driver finished his route and dropped us off at the Getty Center and didn't say a word. The good news is that the woman who picked my group up from the Getty Center was far more pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 AM
 
Location: London U.K.
1,463 posts, read 635,907 times
Reputation: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Have you came across a rude, arrogant bus driver? If so, can you share your experience?

I haven't been in a bus in 7 years. So I'm not aware how things work today as they're run by smart cards. All I did was waved the card in front of the machine, and the bus driver yelled at me, saying, "you don't wave it, you hold it against the thing!", mocking the way I waved it. I simply told him that I haven't used these cards before and he blabbered something, where then I told to "show some manners" and exited. I felt really humiliated in front of other passengers. This is my first time driving in a bus after that hiatus and this is what I get.

A lot of people complain about rude bus services here in Sydney. And they have had worse, more humiliating and aggressive experiences than me (insults, violent assaults, etc). Pretty sad.

On the other hand, (not Sydney, but Brisbane, Australia), I got on a bus in an outer suburb, (Algester), to go into Brisbane City centre.
I said to the bus driver, "I want to get into the centre pal, how much is that please?" I added, "Back home in London, you get a 'Freeedom Pass' at 60, and ride for free, buses and subways."
"Got it on yer mate?", he said.
Pulling it out of my back pocket, "Sure", I said, "there you go."
"Sit down mate", he said, "if it's good enough for London, it's good enough for me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Reputation: 16616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
On the other hand, (not Sydney, but Brisbane, Australia), I got on a bus in an outer suburb, (Algester), to go into Brisbane City centre.
I said to the bus driver, "I want to get into the centre pal, how much is that please?" I added, "Back home in London, you get a 'Freeedom Pass' at 60, and ride for free, buses and subways."
"Got it on yer mate?", he said.
Pulling it out of my back pocket, "Sure", I said, "there you go."
"Sit down mate", he said, "if it's good enough for London, it's good enough for me."
That driver deserves commendation!

Funny thing, though, how regional differences can show themselves. In the U.S., being told to "sit down" is curt, even rude. "Have a seat" or "Please be seated" is the polite way of saying it here. Given the niceness of the driver mentioned here, I must assume that "sit down" is polite in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM
 
Location: London U.K.
1,463 posts, read 635,907 times
Reputation: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That driver deserves commendation!

Funny thing, though, how regional differences can show themselves. In the U.S., being told to "sit down" is curt, even rude. "Have a seat" or "Please be seated" is the polite way of saying it here. Given the niceness of the driver mentioned here, I must assume that "sit down" is polite in Australia.
I get what you mean, "Sit down", in a slightly raised voice is tantamount to an order.
The Aussie bus driver's "Sit down mate" was in a completely different context, if an Aussie is happy to accept you, he'll call you mate anyway, and his invite was kinda like, "pick a seat, and take a load off."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top