U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM

8,959 posts, read 5,103,822 times

Advertisements

i got a 2014 tacoma with 120k miles, yes no problem, 1000 miles no problem.

i got a 1996 explorer with 75k miles, im scare death of over 50 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM

335 posts, read 297,648 times
I used to drive my van with 150K to Florida on it all the time. If it is running well, then make sure you have AAA (or some sort of auto service) and hit the road. As someone who has driven 3 cars until the cars were pretty much dead around 200K or so, you know when your car is getting close to having major problems and being near end of life. You start having little problems and hearing new sounds.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:23 PM

38,110 posts, read 55,898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
What do you call an "old" car?
But there are cars that just left their childhood with 150,000 miles on it.
Righ

World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM

11,160 posts, read 8,570,826 times
I don't like taking a new car 200 miles. I try to do rentals for long trips.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,297,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't like taking a new car 200 miles. I try to do rentals for long trips.
This. I took my beater truck when I had it, to Portland and Bellingham, from Seattle and Tacoma. It ended up breaking down on my not on a long trip, but on my commute home from work.

The biggest reason to rent a car when you are going far from home is that it's the rental company's problem, and you can get a new car so you don't have to worry about it. Heck, when I went to Vegas my rental car was $11 a day...

Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,574,410 times
If you have done the factory recommended service, you should be good to go.

For a car withh that kind of milage, i would recommend you do a complete fluid drain and replace.
Pay special attention to the radiator, flush and fill.

The only thing that sucks with older cars is the no "hi teck gizmos" thing.

Another thing to consider, in timing belt cars, most manufactures tecommend replacement every 75000 to 80000. Timing chain cars dont need replacement.

Have fsith in your car, let it run a marathon!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,664 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
This. I took my beater truck when I had it, to Portland and Bellingham, from Seattle and Tacoma. It ended up breaking down on my not on a long trip, but on my commute home from work.

The biggest reason to rent a car when you are going far from home is that it's the rental company's problem, and you can get a new car so you don't have to worry about it. Heck, when I went to Vegas my rental car was $11 a day...
I had just returned from a 4,000 mile RT in blizzards when my car broke down the next day at work. (Broken timing Chain gear, not a simple fix on the road).

Let's hope it is always that way (if in fact we MUST break down...) Chances are pretty good your commute is more frequent interval and more hard on your car.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,375,395 times
I think our still pretty Candy Apple Red 2004 Saturn Ion with almost 200,000 on it can climb Mt. Everest. Lord what a great car it has been and continues to be . Standard transmission and regularly maintained - I am a filter FREAK , every single filter on a car , I like it changed !!

Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 AM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
My old car has about 150,000 miles on it. So far so good. It has never broken down. But recently, I have started to think it is not safe to take it out of town. It is like a real old person in his 80s. They may feel fine today but you never know what type of problems there are inside. My old car is like that. It seems like it is at the age that it could crash and burn without notice.

How about you? Do you take your old car out of town on road trips?

It depends on how far I am driving and over what period of time.

If I am heading on a 120 mile drive, I will use my car. If I am driving 5500 miles like I did recently, I am renting a car.

Since I can rent a car for $120 a week for 10-11 months a year, I generally rent for any long trip.

Remember that car repairs when you are on a long trip are generally a lot more expensive than repairs at home.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 AM

9,182 posts, read 3,021,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
My old car has about 150,000 miles on it. So far so good. It has never broken down. But recently, I have started to think it is not safe to take it out of town. It is like a real old person in his 80s. They may feel fine today but you never know what type of problems there are inside. My old car is like that. It seems like it is at the age that it could crash and burn without notice.

How about you? Do you take your old car out of town on road trips?
I haven't driven my old car for 24 years. But for many years before that, the farthest I would take it from home, was 20 miles (walking distance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or