U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:52 AM

9,690 posts, read 18,875,735 times

Advertisements

Move over to our neighborhood and you won't ever have to worry about it. You can't even take a new car on a 200 mile trip away from home, you'd fall off the island first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 05:46 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
But are you driving with a spouse?
Nobody would want to take a long trip with me. I stop every 2 hours to use the bathroom. As for the car, if you have taken care of it, took it in for all of its maintenance on the schedule in the manual I wouldn't worry. Or if you are concerned, rent a car.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 AM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
I desire complete, total peace of mind when traveling by car any long distance, not an iota of stress, worries. So even if my car was 5 years old, with only 50k miles on it, I would still rent a car to get out of town.

I know my 1985 Toyota Supra (180k miles) would make it all the way from Las Vegas to Boston, but should it break down, and with it getting harder and harder to find parts for it, I won't chance it.

Some time ago, I rented a brand new Ford Taurus, from Hertz, to drive to Salt Lake City, and, around 9pm, in a remote stretch near Meadows, UT, I hit a deer. A lot of surface damage to the car, but with one headlight, I made to Hertz in SLC. With the Loss Waver Damage, they merely told me to pick out another car and continue my trip! What does that spell? L-u-x-u-r-y!!! And if it had been my own car!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
My old car has about 150,000 miles on it. So far so good. It has never broken down. But recently, I have started to think it is not safe to take it out of town. It is like a real old person in his 80s. They may feel fine today but you never know what type of problems there are inside. My old car is like that. It seems like it is at the age that it could crash and burn without notice.

How about you? Do you take your old car out of town on road trips?
My 3/4 Chevrolet Work Van is 32 years old... original drive train with 180k miles.

Family needed some help up in the mountains so I did not hesitate putting 500 miles on it up and back...

Certainly the oldest vehicle I saw on the road...

Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM

18,428 posts, read 20,176,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
My old car has about 150,000 miles on it. So far so good. It has never broken down. But recently, I have started to think it is not safe to take it out of town. It is like a real old person in his 80s. They may feel fine today but you never know what type of problems there are inside. My old car is like that. It seems like it is at the age that it could crash and burn without notice.

How about you? Do you take your old car out of town on road trips?

I just took a 165,000 mile F350 on a turn around trip to Reno. Literally drove there picked up a truck and drove back. 65 mph. The only time the truck was shut off was if I stopped to eat and get fuel and when I was going to load up. And I only stopped for fuel one time and ate at the restaurant next door.

If the car runs well and I knew the car I would have no issue. I would jump in my truck and drive all four corners of the country without hesitating

Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,375,830 times
I drive my 1999 MB E430 Sport from N. Texas to Phoenix over 2300 miles round trip. This is a fantastic road car, seats 4 people comfortably, is very safe and I get 27 mpg with this V8. The car is well maintained and has been less expensive to maintain then my 2013 Fusion. This is also our daily driver.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM

9,690 posts, read 18,875,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Nobody would want to take a long trip with me. I stop every 2 hours to use the bathroom. As for the car, if you have taken care of it, took it in for all of its maintenance on the schedule in the manual I wouldn't worry. Or if you are concerned, rent a car.
No worries, not everyone wants to tear across the landscape and not be where they are. I'll road trip with you and we can stop at least every two hours if not more often. It's much more fun to take the slow roads and sight see along the way. Stop at all the weird little road side attractions, too! Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

If one is prepared for the 'worst case' scenario, then drive where ever you want. So you go 200 miles away from home and the car dies. How much is a 200 mile tow? Or keep a tire jack, spare tire, gallon of water, can of oil, can of transmission fluid (if it's an automatic), basic tool kit and maybe even a spare radiator hose and alternator belt in the trunk along with a repair manual. A few spare fuses, too, although if a fuse blows it'd be nice to know why before blithely putting in a new one.

If the car is usually a cranky one that dies all the time, then no, I'd not choose that one for a long trip. However, if it's an old reliable one, then why not? If you're prepared in case it does die, then just roll with it. We just sold one of our more reliable cars and that was a '64 VW bug underneath a fiberglass kit that made it look like something else. Age has very little to do with reliability if the car is well maintained. Once we met a couple dozen Stanley Steamers out for a road trip. We saw them in Connecticut, although they'd started in Maine. We were going to stop and help them when we saw this interesting car at a stop sign and all this white smoke (steam) came out from it. We thought the radiator had gone. But, when we got closer and saw the name 'Stanley' written across the rear, we knew the car was okay. The rest of them were waiting for them at the same restaurant we were going to so we spent an hour after lunch admiring their cars.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM

15,744 posts, read 26,780,942 times
About to hit 170,000 on our 2003 Chevy Astro and I have no problem driving it anywhere. We have always maintained it. Today's cars that are maintained well, will live a long life. You do have to replace things. I have replaced just about every sensor on the van, replaced the radiator hoses, serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, starter motor, battery at least once, shocks, of course tires a few times, Oil changes are regular, transmission is serviced at proper intervals. It does leak some oil and with these vans at that many miles it is normal and it is not that bad of a problem. The Chevy 4.3liter that propels the van is a work horse engine that will take care of you if you take care of it.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM

15,744 posts, read 26,780,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I fell asleep once on Interstate 10 with my family in our van. Would not have been a problem accept for the fact that I was supposed to be driving. That was almost 10 years ago and I never drive more than 2 hours at a time ever. I also never drive on long trips at night. If I am leaving on a trip we leave at the earliest 5AM. I try to plan my trips so we have something to stop at after two hours. Time to get out of the seat and walk a little. Not so much worried about myself falling asleep anymore. more worried about all of you falling asleep while driving. And don't tell me that energy drinks help, Nothing in the world makes up for lack of sleep.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 PM

14,244 posts, read 44,929,003 times
I prefer to keep my old cars within 200 miles of home because that's what my AAA will pay for towing wise. Not that I don't trust the cars on a coast-to-coast trip, but stuff like my Scirocco I have no idea who in, say, Kansas knows anything about these old cars.

So if I have a problem, I want to be able to return to the "Mother Ship" and fix it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or