U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I desire complete, total peace of mind when traveling by car any long distance, not an iota of stress, worries. So even if my car was 5 years old, with only 50k miles on it, I would still rent a car to get out of town.

I know my 1985 Toyota Supra (180k miles) would make it all the way from Las Vegas to Boston, but should it break down, and with it getting harder and harder to find parts for it, I won't chance it.

Some time ago, I rented a brand new Ford Taurus, from Hertz, to drive to Salt Lake City, and, around 9pm, in a remote stretch near Meadows, UT, I hit a deer. A lot of surface damage to the car, but with one headlight, I made to Hertz in SLC. With the Loss Waver Damage, they merely told me to pick out another car and continue my trip! What does that spell? L-u-x-u-r-y!!! And if it had been my own car!!!
This is exactly why I do the same - keep older cars closer to home, rent one for coast-to-coast driving.

Then again, I don't do many long road trips. So the rental cost is not that big.

A lot of "appliance car" owners/operators have very mundane and easily replaceable cars, would be willing to take "blue book" "value" without much hesitation if their car is totalled on the road. These older cars, better than average specimens, we want to take more care with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times
My 2002 325iT has been my long distance travel cruiser until the last trip where I decided to take the newer car only because it is still under factory warranty...

No hesitation with the 15 year old but a warranty is money in my pocket should something go wrong.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
But are you driving with a spouse?
Up until my wife passed away, she insisted on doing all the driving on long trips.
( she did all the long trip driving until diagnosed with ALS at age 65)

We always left at 2AM and quit when whichever happened first...........900 miles or 16 hours driving.

We once drove 850 miles ( August 07......both 62 years old )with each one of us driving a car.
She drove the new 07 Camry we just bought and I drove our 99 Mercury Tracer with 232,000 miles on it.

We gave it to her married son as they needed a 2nd car.

It served him well for a few more years.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,424,427 times
Well, yes. I did last weekend. My high mileage 2001 Isuzu. We're taking the 300K+ odometer GMC truck this weekend.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
i drive a 96 maxima with 147,000 miles on it. 2/3rds of the miles are trips (4-5 hours away). Fine, though on a long trip to Maine last year the exhaust pipe broke. Drove it slowly to the nearest shop and got it fixed.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I had a Kia Sportage. At 10 years old and 60 or 70K miles, it was so unreliable that I didn't trust it any further than 20 miles. I got rid of it.
I have a Kia Sedona, it's 11 years old, with 95k on the clock. I just put some $2300 into it. For the 7 years I've owned it, it's been good to me. That's the only money I put into it except for tires and brakes.

I don't think that's too bad.

Sorry your Kia proved different.

We just made an 8 1/2 hour round trip in it this weekend, and I'd do it again, I feel I can get another 5 years out of it. Then I can replace it. At least I need that to be able to pay for a new used vehicle.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have a Kia Sedona, it's 11 years old, with 95k on the clock. I just put some $2300 into it. For the 7 years I've owned it, it's been good to me. That's the only money I put into it except for tires and brakes.

I don't think that's too bad.

Sorry your Kia proved different.

We just made an 8 1/2 hour round trip in it this weekend, and I'd do it again, I feel I can get another 5 years out of it. Then I can replace it. At least I need that to be able to pay for a new used vehicle.

I EXPECT 200,000 + trouble free miles out of every new car I buy.
I've never been disappointed yet .

Your car is not even half way there and you stuck $2300 already ?

If I bought a new car in 2006 ( 11 years old ) and spent $2300 on that car besides tires and brakes...........I would never say "it's been good to me "

I would say..........." I made a big mistake when I bought that clunker !

Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times
In 2012 I lost storage space for my 1967 Fleetwood... anyone that knows cars knows this is not a small car and leaving it outside was not an option for me.

I did have storage space 800 miles away in Seattle so I checked the fluids and tire pressure and set out on a 14 hour drive... it was a lot of fun and cruised 5 effortlessly...

This is a drive I make with other cars but the first time with a car that had been in storage for a couple of years... one thing I did notice is having to stop for fuel several times.

When I got to Seattle I had a few errands to run and one was to pick up parts at an appliance store... the owner and another were talking about the 67 Cadillac parked in front and I mentioned it belongs to me... they questioned the California Plates and I said that I just drove up yesterday from San Francisco... boy did that give them something to talk about.

As I was leaving I said they shouldn't be surprised as this was no ordinary car but a Cadillac that had been in all lower 48 States.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 PM

17,393 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I prefer to keep my old cars within 200 miles of home because that's what my AAA will pay for towing wise. Not that I don't trust the cars on a coast-to-coast trip, but stuff like my Scirocco I have no idea who in, say, Kansas knows anything about these old cars.

So if I have a problem, I want to be able to return to the "Mother Ship" and fix it myself.
I once knew someone who had an older (20 YO) Lincoln Continental who broke down around Ely, NV, the largest city between Las Vegas and Elko, 270 miles north, and he was stranded for 3 days there until the parts arrived.

And in some parts of rural NV there's no cellphone service!

Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I EXPECT 200,000 + trouble free miles out of every new car I buy.
I've never been disappointed yet .

Your car is not even half way there and you stuck $2300 already ?

If I bought a new car in 2006 ( 11 years old ) and spent $2300 on that car besides tires and brakes...........I would never say "it's been good to me "

I would say..........." I made a big mistake when I bought that clunker !
New ignition, oil pan, Valve cover gaskets, rear springs and an axle I broke in a huge pot hole.
Things DO wear out.
Paid for it in 2 years. Paid for for 5 years. That works out to $38.00+ change per month for the 5 paid for years.
WHERE the hell am I going to get a vehicle for$38/month???it works out to $27, or less than $1 a day for repair over the 7 years I've owned it for "major repairs. I am firmly in the rust belt and pot hole belt, that took care of the oil pan and rear springs and the axle. I can't do much about that.

You may look at it differently than I do.

I WAS going to get a used Subaru Forester, then I read several times in several places that at 100k the head gaskets need replacing...not exactly a cheap fix either.

I don't think that's bad, maybe you do.

I had a Chevy once, every six months the starter motor went. The oil pump failed and engine seized at 76k miles. What do you think THAT cost me?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or