Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prefer wide body or narrow body planes to Europe in economy class?
Narrow Body (One aisle) 3 6.38%
Wide Body (Two aisles) 23 48.94%
Don't know or care 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

The most important thing to me is personal space and I try to book so that I have empty seats next to me so that I can stretch out later on.

I like a wide-body plane so that I can get up and walk around, but a narrow-body plane is okay as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
The seat width and pitch is much more important for me than the fuselage of the airplane. Did transtlantic flights in 757 and it was okay.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
I prefer wide, but I'd live with a narrow

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Take a couple benadryl and go to sleep - it's overnight anyway, right?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I don't care as long as I don't get stuck in a middle seat.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
I just found out my next flight to Europe is on a narrow body plane (Boeing 757). I am use to wide body planes to and from Europe. Yes, the seat pitch and width of my seat is the same regardless, but to me, it seems more cramped and less comfortable.

Would you like to fly on a wide body or narrow body plane in your next long 8-hour overnight flight to Europe? (If you were flying in economy class.)
My last 12 hour (supposedly) flight ended up arriving 36 hours late - and they kept us on the plane for somewhere between 8 and 12 hours AFTER the plane landed after an 8 or 10 hour flight. Basically we were on the plane for more than twice as long as the actual flight up to that point had taken. And the pain did not end even after they finally let us off the plane. There was lots more pain, in getting them to put us up overnight, rescheduling the remainder of our flights, and just plain finding something to eat in a foreign country that you don't have any currency for at midnight - keeping in mind there had been NO FOOD OR WATER on the plane after it landed and we sat there for 10 or 12 hours.

I do not see how it would have made the least difference had it been a smaller plane. THAT is horror - a normal flight on a "narrow body" plane just doesn't even come close.

Special snowflake much? LOL!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
Studies have shown that most people like a larger plane with two aisles and places to stand around when they get restless. But the City Data posters have no trouble being jammed into a tin box in the sky for an all night flight, it appears.
I'll take false equivalence for 600, Alex.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I much prefer wide body planes for a long flight. (Heck, I prefer them for ANY flight.) Having two aisles makes it easier to walk around and avoid the food carts, and having the connector path between the aisles gives you someplace to stand if you want to talk with someone other than your seatmate. It also lets you wait for the bathroom without blocking the aisle.

Finally, on a narrow body, 1/6th of the passengers (i.e. the ones in the window seats) have to crawl over two other people to get to an aisle. On a wide body, it's a smaller number who have to do so. Indeed, on some wide bodies, no one has to crawl over more than one person to get to an aisle. And the number of passengers feeding into each aisle is smaller on a twin-aisle plane, so that helps with having less aisle congestion.

To me, the perfect economy configuration is 2-4-2. No one has to crawl over more than one person to get to an aisle. Couples can sit in the outboard seats and not have to share their space with a stranger. Families of 4 can occupy the middle section, getting to sit all together without sharing their space with a stranger. And the ratio of aisle seats to total seats is higher than in any other configuration (except 2-3-2).

The longest I've done on a narrow body is about 6 hours, either transcontinental or from Hawaii to the West Coast. Obviously, I survived the ordeal. But it's certainly not my first choice. I will seek out a wide body for a long flight, and I'm even willing to consider paying a bit more or traveling at a less convenient time for one. But it's not the overriding determinant, and other factors come into play as well.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
It all depends on the seats, some more thoughts:

BA is using Airbus A318 on transatlantic flights with only-business class configuration, just around 32 flat bad seats -> single aisle, but paradise.

Some airlines cramp 3-4-3 in their 777 (10 abreast -> widebody, but hell.

I also like 2-4-2 config, but 757 are really okay, as long as the seats are. My 757 tatl was PIT-CDG with DL on a former NWA plane that offered decent seat pitch. Advantage of the single aisle is boarding and offboarding goes much quicker, less people at the gate, less people at the immigration. Disadvantage is that there is no proper divison between coach and first, as long as you are flying in first/business that is annoying.

Upper deck of the 747 is like single-aisle all-business class at many airlines, feels much more cozy and quiet than lower deck twin aisle.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I don't care about narrow or wide as I am no fat. It is the leg room that is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel