U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:35 AM

345 posts, read 154,685 times

Advertisements

Call to prayer from mosques in many countries. I never minded it though.

Noises that would bother me are people noises - talking loudly and slamming doors in hotels...late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 AM

1,461 posts, read 634,002 times
Comfortable 5 star hotel in central Lisbon, Portugal, room window overlooked neighbour back yards, one had a rooster which woke us at 0 dark hundred.
What can you do, it's a rooster's natural inclination, so politely requested a room change.
Got switched to one overlooking the street, street had two supermarkets.
Refrigerated trucks arrived from 05.30 onward, with cab top generators blasting away while the drivers unloaded chilled and frozen produce.
Found a drug store and bought ear-plugs, problem solved.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM

3,854 posts, read 5,302,902 times
A rowdy hockey team in Canada decided to stop for the night and celebrate at the little motel I was staying in years ago.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
I hopped on a chicken bus going from Santa Ana, El Salvador, heading to Guatemala one afternoon and the driver was very young and loved loud, annoying Rap music. He had the music so loud that my 33 decibel earplugs failed to do the job. Even though it was only about 70-80 miles, I hopped off at one stop, and decided to hop on the next one. When I saw this elderly man driving the bus, I knew right then and there, he wasn't going to be playing loud Rap music to the Guatemalan border.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM

520 posts, read 211,761 times
Stayed in a hotel once where there was a cricket chirping in the AC unit. Being a very light sleeper, this was not going to work for me. The girl at the front desk (after laughing hysterically at the nature of the "problem") sent two guys to "fix" it -- twice. We ultimately left before the night was over and eventually took it up with the hotel company.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:17 PM

3,881 posts, read 1,648,337 times
New Year's Eve, Truth or Consequences, NM: guy in motel room next to ours barfing his brains out all night. Turned out the room on the other side of us was the supply closet, and they made a racket early the next morning--maybe cleaning up the barf.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:47 AM

6,960 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
New Year's Eve, Truth or Consequences, NM: guy in motel room next to ours barfing his brains out all night. Turned out the room on the other side of us was the supply closet, and they made a racket early the next morning--maybe cleaning up the barf.
If you stay in a place called Truth or Consequences it should be understood that you have waived all rights to any normal expectations.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Call to prayer in Turkey (I stayed across the street from the Blue Mosque). Cicadas in Japan While only the call to prayer woke me up (I couldn't hear the cicadas from my hotel room), the cicadas were the bigger annoyance as they were irritatingly loud when walking around outside.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM

337 posts, read 176,582 times
I've only had 2 really bother me because I actually could sleep through nearly everything.... Hearing the mosques call for their prayers in Jerusalem. It's ridiculously loud and they do it frequently. I think Israel actually tried getting them to lower it but of course that made them angry....

The other time was at an AIRBNB in Florence. It was in a residential area but had a small alley near it. I would constantly hear Americans or Canadians talking loudly at night as they walked back to their rental.

Honorable mentions: Hearing people having sex in hostels and hearing people (and smelling!) people fart in hostels and buses.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Sitting in the bleachers at Dodger Stadium proved to be a problem because the seat turned out to be near a stack of loudspeakers. The sound level was deafening, and had to watch the game with improvised kleenex earplugs. Many other folks sitting nearby had sponge plugs in their ears. Never experienced this at a ballpark before, and have been to about 30 major and minor league parks over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel