U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 AM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Another route suggestion is taking 85 N to 29 and taking 29 all the way up. It's a nice drive without all the tractor trailers. We're from the DC area and live in the Charlotte area. That's they way we prefer to instead of 81.

You could also go to the Metro stop in Reston. The Centerville to Vienna wouldn't be fun unless you did it after rush hour (so 10am).
Yeah.. Vienna metro parking is impossible before 10am, too.

I've done the drive up 29 before.. But the problem with it is that it's basically 55 all the way. When I would drive to Manassas, that's the way I would go because it goes right into Manassas (Not that Centerville is really far)

The only reason I'm considering 81 is because of the timing of arrival. Going to Centerville from 95 at evening rush.. Though, there will be 5 people in the car, so.. HOV Lanes will be available..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,229,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. Vienna metro parking is impossible before 10am, too.

I've done the drive up 29 before.. But the problem with it is that it's basically 55 all the way. When I would drive to Manassas, that's the way I would go because it goes right into Manassas (Not that Centerville is really far)

The only reason I'm considering 81 is because of the timing of arrival. Going to Centerville from 95 at evening rush.. Though, there will be 5 people in the car, so.. HOV Lanes will be available..
If you go 95 be prepared for tolls and if there are any accidents surge pricing. It's gotten out of control up there. If you take the toll road for any reason expect the same.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,037,189 times
I-95 HOT lanes go south during evening rush.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,229,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I-95 HOT lanes go south during evening rush.
Yes, I saw that but other routes off of I95 also have pricing though I forgot she was going to go to Manassas (so no need for other routes) and then go to C-ville. I was thinking C-ville and getting there from 95 other ways.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,136,749 times
Thumbs up Udvar-Hazy

The spy museum was okay, it's a nice change of pace and conveniently located.
Quote:
Person who mentioned skipping Udvar-Hazy.. I rented a house in Centerville.. So.. That's going to be real close. Plus, that's a museum I haven't been to much, and not since they brought Discovery in. The one time I went they had Enterprise.
I go out of my way to route my return flight via Dulles just so I can go to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Annex in Chantilly.
Quote:
I suspect I won't get to everything I want.. One item I'd like to do is go up to Ben's Chili Bowl some evening.
Good plan -- Ben's Chili Bowl is open late! I wouldn't go out of my way to try to grab lunch here, but it's a good place for a late dinner.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 PM

17,303 posts, read 19,577,939 times
Quote:
Is there anything you've been to that isn't on my list that you'd really recommend?
There's a nice spot for a picnic while you watch planes fly overhead next to Reagan National Airport.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:40 PM

337 posts, read 177,246 times
I love DC. I think it's a great city. I respect you for visiting in the summer! As a kid, I went there a few times in the winter and summer (due to well, being in school) to visit family who lived there.

People gave you a pretty good list. Like many, the Holocaust Museum is a must especially if you have never been to one before. I've gone to a number. All are pretty similar but the one in DC is overall the only one to do if you could only go to one. Most people in the museum were pretty quiet and respectful. I didn't see many little kids in the museum (I could really only see a parent bringing a kid here maybe in 4th grade and up at the youngest). There were a decent amount of babies... I can honestly say though that when babies would cry, the parents would take them out from the main exhibits. In my trip, I actually went there 3x. I didn't expect to be there that long considering that (like I said) have been to many of these types of museums already. I read EVERYTHING at holocaust museums. I'm a granddaughter of survivors on my mother's side so that's probably why. If your interest is high, you will want to see everything. If your interest is low you will just want to see the main exhibit and Daniel's Story. I was the most interested in the bottom exhibit called "Some were Neighbors". I have never seen that at any museum. Tip though...while the museum is free, reserve a timed ticket online for $1. You will want to go to their website at 6:00AM sharp (you can only buy online tickets the day of from what I understand). The lines are extremely long if you do not have a timed ticket. Also (and this was confusing for me until I actually went there on my 3rd visit!), you do not need ANY ticket to go to the bottom level (Daniel's Story and the "Some were Neighbors" one). If you don't get the ticket for first thing in the morning, use your time before ticket time to go to those exhibits. You still go through security but do not need to have a ticket.

I loved the Spy Museum too (I think there's a deal on TravelZoo for tickets right now) but I'm into that sort of thing. I think they did a good job of making it interesting to kids and parents. The best thing though there was their shop. They had so many interesting books and gadgets.

When you do Ford's Theatre (near the Spy Museum) if there's no line at the booth I would tell them the date and time you want and just reserve them there. I took the ticket that skipped the Ranger Talk and Play. I read a lot of the review on Yelp and to me, both seemed ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I stayed 1 night at the Willard. They have a tiny exhibit in the hotel lobby that was interesting (open to the public 24/7).

I also really enjoyed doing "free" ghost tours at night with the Free Tours of DC people. There is no fee to go but you do tip (not mandatory but I always gave a decent tip). I was always shocked to see people not tip considering it was a free tour. I did the White House at Night – Secrets and Legends – ADULTS ONLY tour and Dark Side of Dupont & Embassy Row – ADULTS ONLY . I LOVED both and learned so much about DC history from the guides. I would have loved to have done the Haunted Georgetown tour, but I wasn't there the day it was offered, as well as the Lincoln Assassination tour.

There's a restaurant in Georgetown called where JFK proposed to Jackie.

I'm not sure where you are staying (you may have mentioned it) but I would DEFINITELY stay somewhere right next to a subway or that has a subway in it (the Hyatt has one!). During my stay at the end of April I stayed at 3 hotels during my 5 day trip (long story lol) I used Priceline and got the Marriot in Georgetown (not in the heart of Georgetown). While there were a large amount of reasonably priced places to eat, a Whole Foods, and a Trader Joe's, it was a bit of a walk to get to the subway. It was only a half mile walk each way, but after being on your feet all day (you will do a ton of walking in DC) I dreaded it! While it was a nice place in town to stay at due to the price I got it for and being next to inexpensive places to eat I probably wouldn't stay there again unless I got it even cheaper (lol). If you are using the Foggy Bottom Metro, there's a nice inexpensive food court in the GMU Hospital. A lot of people eat there and it's a good variety of food. That's hidden DC lol.

To me the most centrally located hotel would be the Hyatt. I would recommend Crystal City for the best place for your $$$ and it's a bit more residential (that's where my family lived). You can get very nice, comfortable hotels there and be near a subway. If I were to go to DC again (not in the summer!) I would probably do that.

You are making me miss DC. Such a great city. I also found everyone there very friendly from the homeless, students, blue bloods, and politicians (I know I met some older men who had to either be politicians or work for them LOL!). I think what makes DC so friendly is the fact that most people seem to be transplants. No other major US city that I have been to have has as friendly people in DC.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,142,378 times
National Geographic Museum and the FBI Museum.

Both awesome and better than some of the museum's run by the Smithsonian.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:02 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,727,619 times
I personally think that is already an exhausting schedule for someone who is going to be staying in Chantilly and commuting into DC every day. But since you are already out that far, think about Leesburg or Middleburg. Great for strolling, eating, shopping...just not on Mondays.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Has anyone ever been to the National Museum of Heath and Medicine?

That's an.. Out of the way museum.. I've never been to it, but thought it might be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel