U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:35 AM

1,180 posts, read 479,694 times

Advertisements

Re the Holocaust Museum: haven't been to this one but did go to the one in NYC and have also been to Jewish Museums in several cities. Agreed that places like this can be really sobering. The various civil rights museums in the South and the Japanese American Museum in Los Angeles also fall into this category. But they tell really important stories, I think, and are edifying places to visit. Definitely follow them up with something to break the mood. For me, I found on a day trip to Birmingham AL that a weighty visit to the civil rights attractions there was nicely counterpointed by seeing the art museum afterwards (seeing great art always gives me joy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Ugh.. Just made it back home..

Pretty well exhausted.. Got ALMOST everything we wanted to see..

We skipped some things by choice.. Archives, Holocaust Museum, Mount Vernon and the Spy Museum.

We decided to go up I-81 and went to Luray Caverns on Friday on the way in.

Saturday started off at Ford's Theater, then to the Art Gallery/Portrait Gallery. We walked to the mall, planning on stopping at the Archives, but there was a long line, and it was raining, so we skipped it and went direct to Air and Space. After that, we went to Union Station to catch the Monuments by Moonlight tour, which stopped at Iwo Jima, Lincoln and Vietnam Memorials and the FDR and MLK memorials. I can't recommend this tour enough. It's just such a great way to see the monuments. The downside is that there's poor lighting at the FDR. This was a long day. about 10am to midnight. I pushed them really hard this day.

Sunday, we went out to the Zoo.. Rather disappointing, actually. Just a bad day to go. We had plans to meet some friends of mine for dinner.. Got pushed to Monday, so.. Gave them a light day.

Monday, we went to Udvar-Hazy in the morning, then rode into DC for a tour of the Capitol, then over to the Pentagon for the 9-11 memorial. Then off to dinner with old friends.

Tuesday was an early day as the White House tour was at 10:30am. After that, we hit the American and Natural History museums.

Wednesday was a pickup day. We stopped by the NRA building in Fairfax to see the National Firearms Museum, then we revisited the FDR memorial in the daytime.. Stopped by the WWII memorial and Washington Monument. Then out to Arlington Cemetery for JFK and Tomb of the Unknown where some woman was sitting there on her cellphone, on speaker.. I'll put that up on Youtube sometime.

Thursday, today, on the drive back, we again went via I-81, which allowed for a stop at Skyline Caverns (One of about 3 caverns worldwide that has a special type of calcite formations) where we had a rather bad tour guide, but.. Still enjoyable and a stop at my favorite, the Luray Zoo. Mark, the owner, was there as usual and was great as always. I can't say enough good about that zoo.. I've raved about it before in this topic.. From the outside, it looks horrible.. But go.. It's worth the stop.

We did other things that i'm not considering.. Had a great dinner in Centerville at a place called "Chasin' Tails" (No, it's not a Hooters style place) Rode around Old Town Manassas and had dinner out there.

Good trip.. Did we see everything? of course not.. I lived in DC for 10 years and never saw everything. But, i'm pleased with what we accomplished in a week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel