U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 AM

483 posts, read 304,171 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I really want to go to New Zealand sometime in 2019 and I'm interested in learning about what North Island has to offer! I always hear about South Island but honestly, I'm not into extreme adventure activity. Anyone been and stayed North? If you have pictures I'd love to see them!😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
North has the people, so some venues can be crowded (especially the beach towns) But... plenty to see. Our friends and kids really like Hobbiton related stuff. We enjoyed Hamilton Gardens (Nearby)

We liked Rotorua, Whangamata, Coromandel, had a very interesting stay at Whangarei Heads, plenty of trekking and fishing, surfing if you like, There are some great Hot Springs and thermal beaches. Rent a diesel campervan with a FSC sticker (freedom camping). Better to BUY... ~$5000 and PLENTY of people to sell too when you are done (If you are every done)(<age 31 German Girls, thousands of them...) Find them on Trademe.com

Really nice views in ALL of NZ. sunsets last forever!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...th_Island.html
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/new-zealand/north-island
Load "maps.me, and Campermate app BEFORE going.
Our hosts on both islands were superb. (usually farmers, but all very welcoming and interesting). All let us come and go as we pleased and most even offered their beach homes / or let us use their main home while they were away.
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Hills covered in Wild flowers / Botanical Gardens, and movies in the park during January is a wonderful break from USA winter!!
The cows have the BEST views!!! I'm surprised they take time to eat!

We are not very adventurous, but loved both Islands, especially the south. When you run out of time on your Visa, you need to take a quick trip out of the country (You MUST have a return ticket to ENTER NZ!)

I shall return...
Can I go with YOU???

btw... eat before you go, eating out is TOO expensive (unless you can live on Dominoes or Pizza Hut personal pizzas)
Food Co-ops are best for eating / groceries, but not cheap! NZ is a Good time to diet, ! so much fun and beautiful that you don't want to waste time eating anyway. Campervan / personal stove is great... cook at a scenic overlook and enjoy the sunset!

When it starts getting chilly, (April)... head to Indonesia or Thailand!, then just follow the long days west. Eventually you will get back to USA (if you must).

Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 PM

13,229 posts, read 6,331,374 times
I've been to Auckland but it was a while back.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
While in NZ... Check into 'Rental car relocation'

Usually you can get a FREE 'relocation' car from Christchurch to Auckland, (including ferry). You just pay for petrol (plenty, if GAS and not diesel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or