U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:12 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,220,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I didn't post this for debate, but to caution those with travel plans to one of these resorts that they should be aware of the allegations.
A couple we know is headed to one for their honeymoon. I would be worried especially because even if you watch the bartenders pour your drinks you never know what else could be in the bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 AM

12,272 posts, read 18,397,848 times
I have to call BS on the story as a systematic problem. Missing here, and even as the article present as a problem in identifying, is a motive. Robbery? Rape? Extortion? None of that really makes sense - robbery at a hotel is more easily done via just robbing a room, which hotel employees have access to. Extortion in terms of medical bills assumes the hotel manages some medical provider, which they don't.
Also, these inclusive resorts (which I hate) are usually isolated from the outside world. Fenced off, etc. It would be too easy to trace to one particular employee working one shift, and I don't see any pattern, unless they are saying some organized criminal gang is running the resort.

No, it's more likely, as someone said, cheap booze combined with heat and over-exertion and tourist not used to drinking, you see this every New Years Eve - amateur drinkers.

The only warning to take note of is: Drink Responsibly.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM

4,216 posts, read 3,584,742 times
I think we should wait until the full investigation and not exalt one story. Alchol can be easily tamper with in the US, but we don't cut off travel to whole nation.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:48 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
The Journal Sentinel is associated with the not-quite-a-newpaper USA Today.

Is there a link to anything that might be considered a reliable source?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
....The hospitals? Of course they want cash, US insurance isn't billable. I can't comment on the exorbitant rates but I have a strong guess cheaper than US medical costs.
Hospitals do not want to be suckered by foreigners.

I live in Europe, and when getting ready to leave a private hospital once I heard a English woman, who was packing her duds, that no way would she leave without charging her hospital bill on a credit card, giving the hospital a check that her bank would guarantee or having her insurance company guarantee payment.

She was very arrogant, and she was told as soon as you leave the police will have your name and details and you will be found.

She was SO unwilling that I suspect that she had no intention of paying after she left.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,220,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
The Journal Sentinel is associated with the not-quite-a-newpaper USA Today.

Is there a link to anything that might be considered a reliable source?
I have seen articles about this from more than one news source. Google the story and I'm sure they will others

Old 07-23-2017, 01:32 PM

244 posts, read 228,944 times
Things can happen anywhere, whether in Mexico or in the USA. Considering the hundreds of thousands of tourists that travel to Mexico each year, its surprising there aren't more incidents. Whenever you get large groups of people together that are in a "party" mood, the chances that something negative will happen increase exponentially.

I have been to Mexico three times and have never had anything happen. I will continue to travel there and enjoy myself.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,015,366 times
These articles has "tips" for traveling to Mexico: Is Mexico safe? Holiday travel update after four killed in Cancun shooting | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk Many of these tips, like not leaving your food or drinks unattended, apply to everywhere including the US.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:09 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,648,337 times
My MIL had a little house in Rosarita Beach, in Cabo. We'd go down there with a group of friends, and the most straight-laced ones would go crazy. Drinking too much, acting like ugly Americans, skinny dipping in the fountain. Ugh.

I think people see Mexico, and especially resorts, as Spring Break Anytime, an invitation to excess.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM

6,960 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I read this today. I had no desire to return to Mexico even before I read it, but it's something to be aware of for those heading there.

All-inclusive resorts in Mexico suspected of drugging tourists
You do realize that in the entire article there is not a single fact to support any of the allegations, right?

Anecdotes and opinions don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel