U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:50 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You do realize that in the entire article there is not a single fact to support any of the allegations, right?

Anecdotes and opinions don't count.
Then ignore it. Some others might want to pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM

1,757 posts, read 1,013,777 times
Click-bait, nothing but click-bait.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM

2,206 posts, read 929,655 times
Honestly, with all these negative reports of things happening to Americans who travel abroad, why risk it?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,702,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Honestly, with all these negative reports of things happening to Americans who travel abroad, why risk it?
The only place where I have heard of things like this happening is in Mexico. No other countries, just Mexico. I would call it a third world country, but it is really a fourth world country.

These same stories, including the same family where the daughter died, were shown on one of the three major networks evening news. The real problem is not being discussed here, but it was briefly mentioned on the evening news. It seems that these bars are buying illegally distilled spirits to serve to customers (moonshine), rather than the major brand names, probably to save money. The illegal distillers are apparently putting all kinds of chemicals into the spirits, again, to save money. So the chemicals in the alcoholic drinks are mimicking the effects of drugs on the bar patrons. It surprises me that this is happening at the large hotels, not just at neighborhood bars, but nothing should be surprising in that lawless country.

Last edited by james777; 07-24-2017 at 12:26 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,904,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've been to the all inclusive Temptation resort in Cancun 3 times. They are adult only and it's a party atmosphere.

Trust me to say that no "mickeys" need to be slipped into the drinks for this type of situation.

Add travel, heat, and unlimited supply of booze (granted, not the best) and people become quickly overwhelmed. If I wasn't an experienced drinker beforehand I could easily have woken only in my boxers in a back alley with a broken hand.

As for the hotel asking for the tourists to go to the police station? Of course, they don't want cops showing up at the resort.

The hospitals? Of course they want cash, US insurance isn't billable. I can't comment on the exorbitant rates but I have a strong guess cheaper than US medical costs.
I just don't see a big conspiracy (don't go to Mexico!) thing here. I truly feel for the family of the girl who died. Brother reported that they had "four or five shots" of tequila before they met some other young people and had another shot. My guess is the "four or five shots" were more. Sun. Tequila. Young. Bad combo. She was not robbed or raped. Overserved, absolutely. And the story I saw claimed that the group of young folks they met were diving into the shallow pool. That should have been stopped immediately.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,635,500 times
http://mexicovacationawareness.com/
Reading it will scare any sane person to reconsider trip plans.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 AM

10,086 posts, read 4,022,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You do realize that in the entire article there is not a single fact to support any of the allegations, right?

Anecdotes and opinions don't count.
Yes they do.

That's why customer feedback has become so important, and popular on product websites. People do want to hear anecdotes and opinions, and that's the best way to get at the truth. Check out the comments online. When you're sitting with a group of friends, ask "anybody know of a good house painter?" That's a really good way to get a good company to paint your house. Anecdotes and opinions.

I don't know if I'll ever go to Mexico again for a variety of reasons, largely their continuing problems with water quality and intestinal illness, and this is just one more.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM

244 posts, read 228,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The only place where I have heard of things like this happening is in Mexico. No other countries, just Mexico. I would call it a third world country, but it is really a fourth world country.

These same stories, including the same family where the daughter died, were shown on one of the three major networks evening news. The real problem is not being discussed here, but it was briefly mentioned on the evening news. It seems that these bars are buying illegally distilled spirits to serve to customers (moonshine), rather than the major brand names, probably to save money. The illegal distillers are apparently putting all kinds of chemicals into the spirits, again, to save money. So the chemicals in the alcoholic drinks are mimicking the effects of drugs on the bar patrons. It surprises me that this is happening at the large hotels, not just at neighborhood bars, but nothing should be surprising in that lawless country.
The specific story you are referencing also mentions that the daughter who died had five or six tequila shots in a little more than a hour. Even if it was high-quality liquor, intoxication is certain. While it is very sad for their family, this story is being blown out of proportion IMO.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,528,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I didn't post this for debate, but to caution those with travel plans to one of these resorts that they should be aware of the allegations.
Nice thought, thank you. What should be also cautioned against is drinking more than you can handle or expecting people/business' you don't know to take care of you if you're falling down/blind drunk. Act the fool and bad things can/do happen no matter where you are but especially in a foreign country not known for their stellar police force or particular love of civil rights of tourists...

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
I think Montezumas Revenge is more of a concern than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel