Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Los Algodones is unique for a border town but border towns do not represent the rest of Mexico. I wandered into Mexicali this spring and wandered right back out, the smells, drunks, and dirtiness was a big no. Nogales Sonora was much better but don't think I'd do an overnight there.
You are right it IS a unique border town. Though the conversations I've had with BP agents concerned visiting the interior of Mexico which was highly discouraged...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
I don't know. We've been coming to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen for many years and stayed at different hotels. The only issue with alcohol that my husband faced was weak alcohol - he said you could barely taste it in any of the drinks he ordered so he seldom even bothered ordering for it anymore. I personally don't drink - can't stand the taste nor the smell of alcohol. How anyone could be addicted to it, I'm sure I'll never know.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Leading story this morning on this subject on CBS 5.

US warns travelers about tainted alcohol in Mexico after blackouts reported
US warns travelers about tainted alcohol in Mexico after blackou - 3TV | CBS 5

Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,230,404 times
Thanks for the warning, but I'm perfectly content just knowing that Mexico is there.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
I swore mexico off my travel list a very long time ago and said right then and there I will never come back here . First off senior class trip to mexico , yeah I thought . Bus broke down on the way down there , got fixed . Got to the hotel and said yeah finally here . Then montezuma revenge hit . two nights later the hotel burns down , great . We are all standing outside
the following morning and the chaperone tells us , oh we are going to a different hotel , however it will be a 2 hour wait for the bus from the hotel to pick us up , I then politely pick up my bag , get a cab and head for the border. then the chaperone says to me "you cant do that " I told her to "watch me ' and some of the other kids said ill split the cab fare with ya if you take me with ya " no problem . When I got to the border I got across no problem and I found the grey hound bus station and paid for a grey hound to take me home . I was never so happy to see the rim of my city where I lived in all my life . This is the reason I will never ever go to mexico again .

Old 07-28-2017, 02:30 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,456,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I swore mexico off my travel list a very long time ago and said right then and there I will never come back here . First off senior class trip to mexico , yeah I thought . Bus broke down on the way down there , got fixed . Got to the hotel and said yeah finally here . Then montezuma revenge hit . two nights later the hotel burns down , great . We are all standing outside
the following morning and the chaperone tells us , oh we are going to a different hotel , however it will be a 2 hour wait for the bus from the hotel to pick us up , I then politely pick up my bag , get a cab and head for the border. then the chaperone says to me "you cant do that " I told her to "watch me ' and some of the other kids said ill split the cab fare with ya if you take me with ya " no problem . When I got to the border I got across no problem and I found the grey hound bus station and paid for a grey hound to take me home . I was never so happy to see the rim of my city where I lived in all my life . This is the reason I will never ever go to mexico again .
Where in Mexico were you visiting, because this doesn't pass the sniff test. Mexico is a very large country. And areas in Mexico that appeal to kids on a senior trip are not typically near cab distance to the border.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Where in Mexico were you visiting, because this doesn't pass the sniff test. Mexico is a very large country. And areas in Mexico that appeal to kids on a senior trip are not typically near cab distance to the border.
I left some parts of it out because of some gross stuff but did not know someone would pick it apart . sorry just telling you why I will never visit mexico again is all . Have a nice day .

Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,035,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Rosarita Beach could be.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:19 PM

35,522 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Leading story this morning on this subject on CBS 5.

US warns travelers about tainted alcohol in Mexico after blackouts reported
US warns travelers about tainted alcohol in Mexico after blackou - 3TV | CBS 5
Yep. This is exactly as it initially seemed, in the OP. The truth.

Mexico says it will take action on tainted alcohol, resorts | KVUE.com

Old 07-28-2017, 10:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,456,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I left some parts of it out because of some gross stuff but did not know someone would pick it apart . sorry just telling you why I will never visit mexico again is all . Have a nice day .
Sorry, just think it would help to let people know just a general region. Caribbean, Pacific, Texas border, California border...not unreasonable IMO. It's like telling an unfortunate travel story in the US and refusing to name the state. I still visit Mexico, but not the border regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel