Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be in London on my 67th birthday this year. It's in late September and falls on a Sunday this year. Can anybody give us some really awesome suggestions for making it my most memorable birthday ever? (We'll actually be in London for 5 days, so we will have four other days to do all of the typical sightseeing stuff.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 AM

264 posts, read 272,375 times
I believe theres a restaurant at the top of the Shard which is the tallest building in Europe, how about a meal there?
I have no idea of the reputation or the prices, but im going to guess not very cheap.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 AM

264 posts, read 272,375 times
Just googled and theres 5 restaurants in the Shard and all around the mid 30s in floors so not that big a deal, sorry.
Though the Shard is a stand alone structure and not clustered by the other City skyscrapers so might have decent views.And theres a cocktail bar on the 52nd floor.

Restaurants and bars | The Shard

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I just celebrated my birthday in London. Tea at the Savoy followed by best in house tickets to Les Miserable with the full VIP package added. Best birthday ever!

We also had Sunday brunch here: Club, Events & Restaurant in London | The Roof Gardens (Babylon Restaurant) on another day and the food and service were delightful and the views were very nice indeed.

One thing I would caution--we were in London for two weeks and barely crocked the door open on everything there is to see and do. Five days is barely enough to rush through the highlights. If possible, try for a longer stay.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:11 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Reviving this thread because I'll probably be in London for my birthday during the first week of August. Would love to hear more about your birthday weeks - what was worthwhile or not - most memorable now that a year has passed (positive or negative).

Also would appreciate any insights or suggestions from locals or others with experience of London and the surrounding area. We should have 8 full days - most in London but we're considering an overnight in Bath with a drive by Stonehenge on our way back to the city.

Some points about us:
1. Not posh or party people - not much on shopping (prefer grocery and stationary shops to fashion)
2. Food is important for us but not high-end - love trying local street food and grocery items. In London we'll want to have Sunday roast, pasties, pies, custard, tea, fish n chips, curry, crumpets, and more - open to suggestions!
3. We love cities, walking around taking in the view and the vibe, history, art - street, performing, and museums. We plan to see many of the must-see sites in the city (historic, not cheesy like wax museum) but are unsure which will be best to go inside and tour vs just seeing as we're out and about.
4. Also not sure how many or which museums - thinking Tate modern and British museum.
5. Hope to see live theatre - not a musical
6. I love bridges, heights, and public transportation (yes really - always make it a point to experience bus, metro, train, water taxi, funicular, you name it)
7. He's into castles - we've had the most fun exploring castle ruins like in Germany - as opposed to oppulant restored palaces.
8. We also like trying quirky, unique or adventurous things - like zip lines, an amusement park or traveling circus, or pop-up dine in the dark - those kinds of things - either exciting or that you can't find everywhere.

Hope that narrows it down somewhat. Looking forward to your comments!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:40 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Re Stonehenge, the arrangements there have changed.

There is a visitor centre situated about a mile from the stones and all official access is through that.

Not sure but I have heard that pre booking is advisable, and being August it will be pretty busy.

Or you could go to Avebury and have an even better time seeing some old stones!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Food is important for us but not high-end - love trying local street food and grocery items. In London we'll want to have Sunday roast
Then definitely check out Borough market. Some people call it touristy, I call it foodie heaven, especially for street food lovers like me. It's a big market with farmers selling their produce, lots of restaurants and small food seller stands. It opens every day except Sunday and it's especially lively on Saturday afternoon (I'm talking about wall to wall people, even in winter). You can find anything there, fish & chips, fresh shucked oysters, all kinds of puddings (they're not the dessert puddings we know in the US), bakery stuff, paella, etc. Just look at which stand has the most line and line up for a try.

Since you mention roast, check out a restaurant atop it, called, well, "Roast" . Order their roast beef with yorkshire pudding, yummy! Then head towards the entrance to the market to "Gelateria 3BiS" and order a cup of gelato of your choice from them. They're the closest gelato I could find outside of Rome. Very delicious.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Go to a pub!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I lived on Portobello Road when I lived in London. On Saturdays there's an amazing open-air market down the length of Portobello Road where you can find anything, even some amazing street food. If you like paella there's a stall, Jamon Jamon Paella, that makes some great paella.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:31 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Thanks you three!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Or you could go to Avebury and have an even better time seeing some old stones!
That might work better for the drive as well. It was my husband's idea to see Stonehenge and now he's not so committed to it so we shall see. I definitely want to do something away from the city - see some of the countryside and smaller villages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Then definitely check out Borough market.

Since you mention roast, check out a restaurant atop it, called, well, "Roast" . Order their roast beef with yorkshire pudding, yummy! Then head towards the entrance to the market to "Gelateria 3BiS" and order a cup of gelato of your choice from them. They're the closest gelato I could find outside of Rome. Very delicious.
It's on the list! And now, at the very least, so is that gelateria! Best gelato I've had was pale pistachio from a place in Florence. Happy memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go to a pub!
For sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel