U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,919,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
<>the fun things to do with a toddler on the trip?<>
In my past experience with 3 children, there are NO fun things to do with a toddler on a trip.
If you are making the trip anyway, go and do your best to enjoy it, but if the trip is for the benefit of the child, wait 5 years. The challenge is the kid has no patience with the uprooted routine and will balk at every new thing. Best is to relax and try to keep the calm that serves you so well at home. They have no idea that all these stops are supposed to be "fun".
"Curmudgeons R Us"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
If you have a kid that loves sitting in a backpack in wet diapers, then Walking SF would be OK, but... San Diego (north) would be my choice (Warmer, MANY more options of kid stuff)
Can use Orange County Airport and enjoy south LA area + LaJolla - Carlsbad.

Water / beach / animals / children's museums (Hand's on) = fun for toddler.

Visual Museums... not
Walking / driving / sitting in traffic...for hours

Just do something FUN (for all)

Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,906,170 times
Bay Area Children's Discovery Museum at Fort Baker (northern base of the Golden Gate Bridge) was a favorite for my kids when they were toddlers and preschoolers.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM

13,060 posts, read 15,433,007 times
We are traveling to LA with a toddler next month. We are going to stay in the Manhattan Beach/Redondo Beach area and make a few trips into LA for sightseeing, etc., but mostly just hang out with the kid at the beach/boardwalk/pool.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 2,845,947 times
When our daughter was two, she loved the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park so much that we ended up getting a membership and driving down there from LA every few weeks.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 AM

29 posts, read 16,099 times
Thank you everyone for your wonderful insights! I am hoping to plan and have a great a trip with the baby. Will look into the suggested hotel locations too! Thanks!

To Crashj007-

I do agree that anything I plan with just the baby in mind is going to do no good at all. However, the reason for asking , is that then at least I will be at a location where we too can enjoy and where there will be other families sailing in the same boat as we are in today.
And yes, as the saying goes - 'Vacation with a baby is not a vacation...it's just change of location'.

Thank you everyone again!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:33 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,654,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
In my past experience with 3 children, there are NO fun things to do with a toddler on a trip.
If you are making the trip anyway, go and do your best to enjoy it, but if the trip is for the benefit of the child, wait 5 years. The challenge is the kid has no patience with the uprooted routine and will balk at every new thing. Best is to relax and try to keep the calm that serves you so well at home. They have no idea that all these stops are supposed to be "fun".
"Curmudgeons R Us"
This has been my experience too. But if you're going to go anyway, I second Stealth rabbit's advice: water, beach, animals, hands-on children's museum.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This has been my experience too. But if you're going to go anyway, I second Stealth rabbit's advice: water, beach, animals, hands-on children's museum.

Thanks and duly noted!

Old 11-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
We had a great time with our 1 year old in California - spent 3 days in San Diego (San Diego Zoo Safari Park, La Jolla, etc.), followed by 3 days in the Big Sur area, and 3 days in San Francisco. You really can't go wrong with any of those options. Enjoy!

Hi BD1978 - I wanted to ask, did you do a road trip or flew SD to SFO/Big Sur? Our trip got postponed to end of this year and now I am re planning. it would be great if you can advice. I read that from San Diego to SFO will be a long drive, but Santa Barbara can be a mid way. Thanks so much in advance!

Old 11-04-2017, 02:20 AM

2,654 posts, read 4,837,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
I read that from San Diego to SFO will be a long drive, but Santa Barbara can be a mid way.
San Diego to Santa Barbara is 217 miles. Santa Barbara to San Francisco is 326 miles. The fastest way is taking the 15 out of San Diego to the 210 to the 5 and avoiding all the coastal traffic. Its about 520 miles to SF from San Diego.

However it makes no sense to bypass fabulous Los Angeles and 60 miles of beautiful beaches to drive to San Francisco. SF might be an ok destination for people who like fancy expensive restaurants and do not mind putting up with the endless filth, crowds and homeless panhandlers. Its a lousy place for families with small children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or