U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times

Advertisements

If you are gonna travel extensively, try doing it with one airline or airline alliance to get miles and status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If you are gonna travel extensively, try doing it with one airline or airline alliance to get miles and status.
Status still counts for something, but all airline frequent flyer programs have been severely devalued and flying is no longer the most effective way to earn miles in any case, so it's not worth it to go out of one's way to collect miles by flying one airline preferentially. Join the programs, yes, but for each trip fly the airline that gets you there on the best routing for the best price.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:14 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,826,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Status still counts for something, but all airline frequent flyer programs have been severely devalued and flying is no longer the most effective way to earn miles in any case, so it's not worth it to go out of one's way to collect miles by flying one airline preferentially. Join the programs, yes, but for each trip fly the airline that gets you there on the best routing for the best price.
I'd agree that it's not worth being loyal for the miles or points, but depending on the traveler, it can be worth it for the status and accompanying perks. Is that something the OP values?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Though in many cases, you can get some to most of the perks by having the right travel credit card.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:29 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
As long as OP is mindful of trying to get a best route, price that can offer status. It may not be the cheapest tour but the difference is sometimes only a few bucks.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
Thanks for your reply

-Regarding hotels, booking directly with them MOST of the times its either the same price or way more expensive.....

-I book hotels last minute so i don't care about cancelation

-I am not a senior citizen thats why I don't qualify for AAA unfortunately
No - AAA is for road service, and other stuff. I think ANYBODY that owns a car should consider membership.

You're thinking of AARP for those over 50 (but I refuse to join them because they are more political than anything else). Look up AAA and the name of your state.

As I said, I rarely find that it's more expensive to book directly with the hotel. Maybe we're staying in different types of establishments.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:18 PM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Get a credit card to use only for travel that gives miles and other travel perks. This will help you a lot at tax time. Sign up for all the frequent flyer programs with airlines and hotels.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though in many cases, you can get some to most of the perks by having the right travel credit card.
Yes - and (because I have an international trip coming up soon, so I checked), both the Chase United Airlines Mileage Plus Explorer credit card and the American Airlines Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select credit card charge no foreign transaction fees, so they are decent backup cards to carry on international trips. (I'd still make the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve the primary travel card, though, as they offer better bonused spend for everyday.) Unfortunately Delta's card is with American Express, which makes it less than ideal for foreign travel even though it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, because fewer foreign businesses will accept it.

Also, a domestic First Class or international Business Class ticket give many of the perks status does, and those tickets are sometimes quite affordable.

Help during IRROPS is the one big benefit of status that's hard to replicate with either a credit card or a paid higher-class ticket.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
I've got the Delta Amex. Our usual travel spending is to charge plane tickets, hotels, and rental car to credit cards, and then pay cash for most other things. And I haven't had problems getting any of those categories overseas to take the Amex, though I'm a chain hotel type (ie better Amex acceptance) rather than indie lodgings sort.

One thing Amex does well is cheap supplemental primary rental car insurance- for $15-$20 (depending on your home state) per rental you get everything the $15-$30 per day insurance charge the rental car company wants for CDW/'Syper Cover' including loss of use. Fortunately haven't had to file a claim myself over it, but it gets very good reviews from those who do on the intrawebs. It's good in about 95% of the countries you'd want to rent a car with a handful of exceptions for places like Ireland and Italy where the laws pretty much make you get a rental insurance included from the rental company.

As for IRROPS, the key is often being proactive and getting in touch with the airline as soon as the logistics of your original route are confirmed to have gone pear-shaped. Airline employees want to solve your problem as quickly as they can and move onto the next customer, and if you get to them first with a reasonable rebooking solution, you'll typically get your request. And once you get a seat on a new flight, you are no longer a problem in need of the airline's solution, and the airline is very reluctant to move you again, even for someone who has fairly high status on the airline. (My theory is that each airline may have a few hundred of extremely high value customers that they'll move other passengers to rebook. And it's very unlikely that one of those rare birds is trying to get onto the same route as you are during IRROPS.)

Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,349,514 times
I use Skiplagged when looking for international and domestic flights. https://skiplagged.com/

Kayak, expedia, and other popular US websites tend to favor US air carriers when searching for tickets. US airlines are some of the worst in the world, IMO, I avoid them whenever possible. Especially United.

You will also find that back up customer service at Expedia is non-existent in the event that something goes awry. I don't do business with Expedia.

I usually only book a room in advance for the arrival and departure days of a flight, I've been using Booking.com. After that I go out into the area where I want to stay and make arrangements locally. In less developed places it's always cheaper to walk in and negotiate a room, a lot of the world still doesn't have a huge internet presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel