U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
One thing I really like about Expedia is their rental car search. It gives me a decent baseline for pricing for my needed dates, and then I can mess around with coupon codes every so often after making an initial reservation- never prepay rental cars- and seeing if I can get it lower than that.
I like to use autoslash. It's not always the best, but they do a thorough job of searching all possible discounts and I can sit back and let someone else do the legwork. (Although I rarely completely sit back, and will still check priceline, expedia as well as do my own coupon search lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
I am sorry but why would airlines shut down your frequent flier account just for using Skiplagged, isn't that website same as Kayak and Expedia? I always book through Kayak and never had a problem with my loyalty program.
Skiplagged is different because they often use "hidden-city" or "point beyond" ticketing to find you a best fare. And this is against the contract of carriage that you agree to with your airline, so you are in effect breaking the rules of your ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM

7,684 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Skiplagged is different because they often use "hidden-city" or "point beyond" ticketing to find you a best fare. And this is against the contract of carriage that you agree to with your airline, so you are in effect breaking the rules of your ticket.
This. You're violating the fare rules for the ticket you purchased. Airlines realize that travel plans change and stuff happens, and they generally aren't going to care if you skip the last leg of a flight once every 12-24 months or ten tickets flown, but if it's happening the majority of the time, their fraud prevention team is more likely to flag any frequent flyer accounts associated with your name and make things unpleasant for you. Some airlines like BA will even sometimes attempt to go after hidden city flyers and charge them the price they would have paid for the ticket they actually flew (apparently common for BA long haul flights to be far cheaper if you start and end in Dublin than if you start from London, and they do not like it if you end at London instead of Dublin like your ticket states)

Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
But Miles have expiration date. I always get it in the mail that If I don't use my miles they'll expire...
Not on delta.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 AM

9,819 posts, read 5,020,682 times
Quote:
But Miles have expiration date. I always get it in the mail that If I don't use my miles they'll expire...
Always check to find out when your miles will actually expire. The send those mailings out to just about everyone, and it's usually a broad warning that miles eventually expire, not that YOUR miles will soon expire. And those notices usually accompany offers to order magazines using your points (which is a good way to keep your miles from expiring, if they are actually in danger of that)

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
It's easy to keep miles from expiring. In addition to flying and/or getting and using the associated airline credit card, you can buy some more miles, join the program's shopping or dining programs, or use a small number of miles to purchase something - generally all that's required is some level of activity on the account every 18 months. (There are a few airlines, notably Singapore Airlines, which are an exception to this general rule.) The problem only occurs if you don't keep track of your miles' expiration dates.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 AM

9,395 posts, read 6,268,586 times
Quote:
If you travel enough to make elite levels, miles don't expire.

If not, any transaction on your account will keep it alive. For example, I have a Dl and Hilton dining acct. Eat a meal at one of the restaurants listed and you get points. I have a Marriott credit card that keeps that account alive

Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM

9,395 posts, read 6,268,586 times
Quote:
I am sorry but why would airlines shut down your frequent flier account just for using Skiplagged, isn't that website same as Kayak and Expedia? I always book through Kayak and never had a problem with my loyalty program.
Hidden cities ( fly from point A to point B with a stopover in point C. Get off at point C) is against TOS of all frequent flyer clubs. Plus, if you do that on outbound trip, airline will cancel whole itinerary.

In the old days, lots of us did that all the time.

For help in your traveling OP, go to flyertalk.com

Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 PM

7,684 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Do note that while US-based frequent flyer programs generally fall under 'any account activity', even if it's buying a handful of points or redeeming for magazines, in order to keep a mileage balance alive, a few foreign programs like KLM require actual flights in order to keep the FF miles balance intact.

So read the terms and conditions and understand them before deciding which programs to credit FF miles to.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
AAA is not for seniors. You're thinking of AARP. Anyone can join AAA.
I thought it was for drunks?

Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I thought it was for drunks?
On the off chance that you are serious: www.aaa.com redirect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel