Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM

64 posts, read 48,871 times

Advertisements

Its new to me that anyone can join AARP , So If I don't have to wait until I am considered a senior I will join. Is it really worth it tho? And how about AAA? Whats the deferents in rewards? I know Id have to pay an annual fee thats ok Is it really worth to join both AAA and AARP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
The down sides of using hidden city ticketing sites like Skiplagged including finding yourself rerouted to a final destination you didn't want to go to during IRROPS and the risk of getting a frequent flyer account shut down for 'irregularities' if you have a pattern of too many hidden city tickets.

One thing I really like about Expedia is their rental car search. It gives me a decent baseline for pricing for my needed dates, and then I can mess around with coupon codes every so often after making an initial reservation- never prepay rental cars- and seeing if I can get it lower than that.

AAA has some reciprocal agreements that AARP does not. I've actually gotten modest (the usual 5-10% off normal Best Rate) auto club discounts in places like Germany and Austria by showing my card there. AAA is also useful if you're a vehicle owner and do make use of their roadside assistance. Have gotten a new car battery from one of their affiliated mobile service techs.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,223,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
Its new to me that anyone can join AARP , So If I don't have to wait until I am considered a senior I will join. Is it really worth it tho? And how about AAA? Whats the deferents in rewards? I know Id have to pay an annual fee thats ok Is it really worth to join both AAA and AARP?
I think you're confused.

AARP = retirees (or anyone over 55? Not sure of the age)

AAA= For anyone.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,866,842 times
Google flight and Itasoftware are best to look for flight

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,857,608 times
Call the hotel and ask what they can do for you, what "hidden" discounts they may have. I called one hotel and asked if they had any discounts. The reservations clerk asked me if I was a member of _______ Baptist Church, which was having an event there. I said "no" and she said, "Well, you are now!" and gave me a 35% discount.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM

Got it but If AARP gives modest discount why would I even join, 5% discount doesn't make a difference.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Get a credit card to use only for travel that gives miles and other travel perks. This will help you a lot at tax time. Sign up for all the frequent flyer programs with airlines and hotels.
This is great advise, thanks

Old 07-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes - and (because I have an international trip coming up soon, so I checked), both the Chase United Airlines Mileage Plus Explorer credit card and the American Airlines Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select credit card charge no foreign transaction fees, so they are decent backup cards to carry on international trips. (I'd still make the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve the primary travel card, though, as they offer better bonused spend for everyday.) Unfortunately Delta's card is with American Express, which makes it less than ideal for foreign travel even though it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, because fewer foreign businesses will accept it.

Also, a domestic First Class or international Business Class ticket give many of the perks status does, and those tickets are sometimes quite affordable.

Help during IRROPS is the one big benefit of status that's hard to replicate with either a credit card or a paid higher-class ticket.
True. I was recently in Europe and few establishments accepted AMEX .... even tho they don't charge for foreign transactions ...

Are you saying I should get both United Mileage Plus and the American Airlines Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select credit card, or you were suggesting to get one of each?

Whats a IRROPS? Thanks a lot

Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,132,689 times
Quote:
Hello,

Starting next month I am going to start traveling heavily to Europe and South America A LOT! As far as domestic Miami, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, DC.

I would like some advise from you the experts frequent travelers to see If i am getting the best deals?

This is the way I do things:

- I dont have hotel preference honestly i just book through kayak or hoteltonight sometimes hotels dot com etc for the discounted rooms but not sure if thats the best route

- The way I book my tickets (once again not sure If I am doing this correctly). I check Kayak for prices and schedules, stops etc once I find an specific ticket I like, say Delta for the price and time. I go to the Delta website and buy the ticket.

Thanks!
keep this on you mind. Flights , I always use ita flightmatrix , then I go to the airline website and book through them.

I also compare with expedia/hotels/etc. I would find what I like, and check the hotels website directly. best price gets my business.

the most important thing is to always sign up as a member and book on your account. Also, make sure you are getting the best points/rewards accumalation on the credit card you are booking with 2x,3x,5x, rewards).
you will see a large benefit , as all that travel will add up to "free/earned" stuff, like vacation or gift cards.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 AM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
Quote:
True. I was recently in Europe and few establishments accepted AMEX .... even tho they don't charge for foreign transactions ...

Are you saying I should get both United Mileage Plus and the American Airlines Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select credit card, or you were suggesting to get one of each?
The various airline cards give you low-level status with the airline in question (earlier boarding, free checked bag, some of the pricier ones offer lounge access), and most charge no foreign transaction fee. But they have at least a $100/year fee, and they are not the best way to earn miles on daily spend. I'd wait and see if your travel patterns find you favoring one airline over the others. If they do, the card for that airline might be worth getting.

Quote:
Whats a IRROPS? Thanks a lot
IRROPS stands for Irregular Operations. In other words, situations which cause a flight to be signicantly delayed or canceled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel