Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!
You and me both! Who ever heard of such a thing? Wear whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I wear them when hiking or doing outdoor activities. I hike in a lot of places that have mosquitoes/ticks or mud, but it can be hot out. The pant portion is good for that part of the activity, but when I am done with it, then I can remove them and will have shorts for the rest of the day. The ones I have are extremely lightweight/breathable and dry quickly. I don't wear them outside of outdoor activities or travel where I would hike or do more nature-oriented activities.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM

337 posts, read 276,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You and me both! Who ever heard of such a thing? Wear whatever you want.
I don't really see them at department stores. I've seen them at sporting goods stores typically.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If traveling in Western countries and other developed countries, fashionable denim is the way to go. They can be worn for a week without washing (more in cooler weather) as long as you always have clean underwear, and they don't make you stand out, trouser-wise. Even in the hottest weather of temperate climes they are tolerable.

Chinos and nylon convertibles scream tourist. It is fine to not be embarrassed about being a tourist, but you don't want to be taken advantage of or targeted either. European tourists do not dress 'special' when visiting other European nations, and Americans, Canadians, Australians or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't either. If you wouldn't wear a pith helmet, you shouldn't wear technical outdoor gear either.

If you are doing serious back country travel whether in Europe, tropical/equatorial countries, or the Americas, or you are otherwise going to be experiencing extremes of temperature or humidity, all bets are off. Use what works for the conditions.

In tropical/hot Western countries or states (Australia, Florida, South Africa, etc.), pack regular, fashionable shorts. But walking around London, Munich, Denver or Sydney in khaki nylon convertibles is goofy.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
I've used them in the past when traveling in the tropics: Amazon rainforest, Sub-Saharan Africa, etc. It's versatile, light-weight and useful, especially when the mosquitoes start coming out.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I have one of those tech travel vests and like it. Lots of pockets, etc. But I forget where I put stuff and still have to search the pockets for stuff.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:09 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I always assumed they were just for hiking too. They carry them at lots of outdoor gear places that don't necessarily specialize in travel stuff... just outdoor sports gear.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If traveling in Western countries and other developed countries, fashionable denim is the way to go. They can be worn for a week without washing (more in cooler weather) as long as you always have clean underwear, and they don't make you stand out, trouser-wise. Even in the hottest weather of temperate climes they are tolerable.
I lived in Phoenix for 25+ years. Trust me - except for cool days in December January and February, nobody is comfortably wearing jeans.

When traveling, those things are heavy in suitcases. Big problem if you don't check bags (and we don't).

And if somebody is wearing them for a week, I don't want the bus seat next to them.

Frankly, I don't give a rip if somebody knows I'm a tourist. Some of the best memories I have of traveling is when a local talked to me because I WAS a tourist!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
I've never found there to be that much of a difference between lightweight breathable pants and some shorts that give you an extra 15 inches of bare skin, or at least enough to be thinking I'd be carrying around some pant leg pieces in a backpack while enjoying my newfound comfort.

And they do look absolutely ridiculous.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've never found there to be that much of a difference between lightweight breathable pants and some shorts that give you an extra 15 inches of bare skin, or at least enough to be thinking I'd be carrying around some pant leg pieces in a backpack while enjoying my newfound comfort.

And they do look absolutely ridiculous.
There is one thing that looks even worse, though... shorts with knee-high sport socks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel