U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

7,374 posts, read 4,206,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If you're battling issues with carryon weight I think the more practical choice is to rethink whether you need three separate pairs of pants for a casual trip.
One clean pair to wear today, one clean pair for tomorrow, one pair worn yesterday and in need of washing. Yeah, I need three pairs.

What I may NOT know in advance is which I'm going to need, shorts or long pants (depending on the weather at the destination). Travel pants allow me to take only three items of clothing that can double as either, so I don't have to play the guessing game when I'm packing. And mine are much more practical than my regular pants, with belt loops and lots of pockets, and they dry faster than my regular pants and shorts, too. Unfortunately they're ugly, so mine only get used on nature-oriented trips where their sheer practicality trumps fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM

6,042 posts, read 2,938,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are actually describing a towel.

Ford Prefect.
Yeah it's pretty close. Difference is size/weight, if a towel was as big a sarong it would be quite heavy and space hog. A sarong is made of a much thinner fabric, makes a lot more sense as a multifunction rectangular item of clothing than a towel.

Plus people look okay going into a temple with a sarong to cover themselves, hell some temples even hand them out at the entrance. If you had a towel on it would be a bit silly.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One clean pair to wear today, one clean pair for tomorrow, one pair worn yesterday and in need of washing. Yeah, I need three pairs.
Ah but if you just had two pants and two shorts you'd be able to go four days in your wash cycle, if you're willing to risk having shorts some days like you might when back home. Or you could wear pants/shorts more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And mine are much more practical than my regular pants, with belt loops and lots of pockets, and they dry faster than my regular pants and shorts, too. Unfortunately they're ugly, so mine only get used on nature-oriented trips where their sheer practicality trumps fashion.
Agreed, that is a huge advantage of travel clothes is how quickly they dry. Especially those travel shirts, people can put them around a char on the balcony in the morning and change into them that afternoon.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 AM

9,090 posts, read 9,553,699 times
Quote:
Yeah it's pretty close. Difference is size/weight, if a towel was as big a sarong it would be quite heavy and space hog. A sarong is made of a much thinner fabric, makes a lot more sense as a multifunction rectangular item of clothing than a towel.
I have a few sarongs, I find them to be pretty useless even as a pool coverup. They stay in the drawer.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 AM

That's interesting, they work fine for us tied at the waist if you need to cover your legs for modesty reasons. My wife looks damn hot in one, as a matter of fact.

We used a couple just the other day at the park on our picnic, spread 'em out end to end right by the lake since we don't pack a heavier blanket when traveling. Also use a lot at the beach.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,606,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!
They've been around for at least 30 years. I got my first pair at Costco about 20-25 years ago. Second pair at Kohl's about 10 years ago. It's not so much about space in your suitcase. It's about the fact the you don't have to carry around a pair of long pants while sightseeing IN CASE you need them. The leg sections will fit in the front cargo pockets, meaning I don't have to carry a bag around all day.

A summer day in Bangkok, or Manaus, or Johannesburg will have you hunting for a pair of your own.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,206,899 times
Quote:
Ah but if you just had two pants and two shorts you'd be able to go four days in your wash cycle, if you're willing to risk having shorts some days like you might when back home. Or you could wear pants/shorts more than once.
Three zipoff pants still provide more options: three days in long pants, three days in shorts, or a 3-day combination of shorts/long pants as the weather requires. (Or longer, if I can wear each pair more than once and stretch out the wash cycle.) At home I have a closet full of clothes of every type, and the option of picking and choosing my clothes daily to suit the expected weather that day, and of changing clothes during the day if the weather suddenly changes; on the road that's not an option. Plus at home I'm spending most of my time in a climate-controlled room working, while when I'm on vacation I'm more likely to be dealing with outdoor weather. So the flexibility offered by travel pants is appealing, as long as I'm not in a situation where I need to worry about how I look. (Alas, for my upcoming trip I can't use them.)

Quote:
Agreed, that is a huge advantage of travel clothes is how quickly they dry. Especially those travel shirts, people can put them around a char on the balcony in the morning and change into them that afternoon.
I wish my regular clothes dried as quickly as travel clothes do! Most of my non-cotton clothes aren't too bad, but the waistband on my pants always takes longer to dry than I'd like (sometimes a full 24 hours). But the travel pants I use when I'm hiking always dry out completely overnight.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:59 PM

9,706 posts, read 15,929,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!
Check out Travelsmith.com

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 PM

9,081 posts, read 8,484,255 times
Quote:
Travel Tip from a long term traveler = bring a sarong or something similar instead.

A sarong is lightweight and multifunction. I still find it pretty funny that people are so sensitive to temperature changes they need to play musical pant legs for an extra 15 inches on their calves, but if the bus AC is too cold just use the sarong.

Sarong also can cover your head in the sun, act as a towel, a blanket for a picnic, privacy screen, clasp, skirt to get into temples, etc.
I honestly thought you were joking.

Quote:

Plus people look okay going into a temple with a sarong to cover themselves, hell some temples even hand them out at the entrance. If you had a towel on it would be a bit silly.
Apparently I was wrong and you were serious.

Quote:
For the same reason I'd worry about how I look every other day, whether I'm traveling or not. I'm not running around in a tuxedo but there is a fundamental desire to not look like a dork, which why things like combing hair and having colors of shirt/pants match happen.
Which makes this all the more amusing. I know that sarongs are typical in many areas of the world. In most others, they are not. I would look ridiculous in a sarong at the Louvre. I will take my slightly dorky travel pants, thank you.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Which makes this all the more amusing. I know that sarongs are typical in many areas of the world. In most others, they are not. I would look ridiculous in a sarong at the Louvre. I will take my slightly dorky travel pants, thank you.
Yeah that wouldn't work at the Louvre, I was talking about people who need something to get into a temple when traveling in Asia. You often see people open up their backpack and get out a sarong so they meet the requirements for no legs showing.

I don't see the point of changing to go into the Louvre, but then again I'm surprised at how closely people want to manage the temperature of their calves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel