Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times

Advertisements

This came up in another topic and I don't want to derail her thread, so... I don't get the convertible travel pants thing.

If it was really that useful to be able to switch between shorts and pants on the fly, why doesn't everyone where travel pants all the time even when not traveling? One could be at the mall and decide your pants need to be shorts or vice versa and switch. Of course we don't do that, because it isn't actually useful.

I guess it could be saving luggage space, but c'mon you really don't save much space versus packing a separate lightweight part of shorts. If space in luggage is an issue there is much more low hanging fruit to pick than trying to save the space taken up by synthetic material shorts, they fold down to next to nothing.

I'm not trying to judge here, people should travel however they want to travel and do what makes them feel comfortable. However I'm genuinely baffled by this choice to don this particular type of (usually olive or tan colored) clothing when on holiday, and no other time. What exactly is the logic behind it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 PM

337 posts, read 275,731 times
I have a couple of those pants and only wear them when hiking. They aren't flattering on me especially when they are shorts. I'm short and the shorts are long on me making me look like I have no legs.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 AM

23,077 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This came up in another topic and I don't want to derail her thread, so... I don't get the convertible travel pants thing.

If it was really that useful to be able to switch between shorts and pants on the fly, why doesn't everyone where travel pants all the time even when not traveling? One could be at the mall and decide your pants need to be shorts or vice versa and switch. Of course we don't do that, because it isn't actually useful.

I guess it could be saving luggage space, but c'mon you really don't save much space versus packing a separate lightweight part of shorts. If space in luggage is an issue there is much more low hanging fruit to pick than trying to save the space taken up by synthetic material shorts, they fold down to next to nothing.

I'm not trying to judge here, people should travel however they want to travel and do what makes them feel comfortable. However I'm genuinely baffled by this choice to don this particular type of (usually olive or tan colored) clothing when on holiday, and no other time. What exactly is the logic behind it?
I actually bought a pair for a very long international trip because we traveled through a variety of climates and different airports without having access to our checked baggage...one would have the AC up so high we froze (zip on the pants). The next airport would be stifling hot (zip off the pants). The fabric was a quick dry type which was one good feature. I agree they can be handy for long hikes.

Other than that, they are a wonderful way to be singled out as a gadget-loving clueless tourist...

Old 07-29-2017, 12:34 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,793,920 times
For me the big advantage is that I can wander around in shorts all day long (in a hot city), zip the legs on to go into a mosque or church that requires long pants, then zip them back off when I leave. They worked well in the Amazon rain forest as well. Occasionally restaurants and public buildings require long pants too.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:12 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,458 posts, read 44,172,248 times
I don't have pants that I use only for traveling. But I do have old pants that I only wear at home!

Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
However I'm genuinely baffled by this choice to don this particular type of (usually olive or tan colored) clothing when on holiday, and no other time. What exactly is the logic behind it?
I used to wear them camping and I still wear them in the spring and fall when I'm biking: mornings can start out cool but by midday or so, it's nice to change to shorts and when one is outside, there isn't always a handy bush to duck behind, so convertable pants are a great choice for those activities.

I suppose the same logic could apply to traveling, if one is going from a cool spot to a warmer spot, but that's when I generally wear a knee-length skirt and dress in layers.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 AM

19,397 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I actually bought a pair for a very long international trip because we traveled through a variety of climates and different airports without having access to our checked baggage...one would have the AC up so high we froze (zip on the pants). The next airport would be stifling hot (zip off the pants). The fabric was a quick dry type which was one good feature. I agree they can be handy for long hikes.

Other than that, they are a wonderful way to be singled out as a gadget-loving clueless tourist...
This - except we never ever check bags (except on the flight returning home if it's free. I keep hoping they will lose my bag AGAIN so they will give me money and I can go shopping. ) It's just easier to wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
For me the big advantage is that I can wander around in shorts all day long (in a hot city), zip the legs on to go into a mosque or church that requires long pants, then zip them back off when I leave. They worked well in the Amazon rain forest as well. Occasionally restaurants and public buildings require long pants too.
Yep.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
I had a pair once. Never again. The zippered part of the leg was really uncomfortable. nylon pants are very breathable and almost as cool as shorts.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
I think they are unattractive and would not wear them.

I mostly wear dresses when I travel either beach or city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel