Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I've never even heard of "travel pants" until this thread but do know of a few backpackers who wear this sort of pants while backpacking across SE Asia, Europe, or what-ever.
We call 'em travel pants because so many people use them when on holiday, not just backpackers or people doing serious hiking.

If you stand at the entrance to a tourist attraction in Asia and watch the western tour groups roll in you'll notice a good number of them, usually older folks, are wearing them. Same with the Middle East, Africa, etc. in fact even the walking tours you see coming through the squares in Europe have some travel pants folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
These types of pants were actually an everyday thing back in the 90’s I think. I remember my then-husband had a pair that he wore regularly. I don’t know if he actually ever zipped the legs off, though.
I bought a pair from The North Face for hiking. They were cool and comfortable. I unzipped the legs, too. Travel pants? Hardly. Who came up with that?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Travel pants? Hardly. Who came up with that?
People who travel.

I can't believe you people don't notice how many tourists wear them just because they are on holiday. I'm in Budapest right now, I should take my camera out today and take some pictures of tourists walking around town going to museums and sites wearing the convertible pants.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 AM

As promised, for those who are still baffled as to why they are being called "travel pants" I collected these fine specimens in only five minutes outside Matthias in Budapest today. Check out the first one, that is a rare triple that can go to capri length or shorts. There were dozens more milling about.

Lots of people wear them when they travel and it doesn't have to be hiking in the mountains, this is what I didn't get.

[img][/img]

Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
People who travel.

I can't believe you people don't notice how many tourists wear them just because they are on holiday. I'm in Budapest right now, I should take my camera out today and take some pictures of tourists walking around town going to museums and sites wearing the convertible pants.
You people. Reminds me of the 1960s.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Maybe someone should create other types of pants.....

- Sitting on the couch eating Doritos pants not to be confused with eating Cheetoh pants which are totally different

- Baking bread pants

- Getting a a glass of water pants

- Mowing the lawn pants

- Driving the car pants

Seriously. Many of the pants in the photos above look like cargo pants. Nothing special about them. They're pants!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 PM

I'm putting on my having a glass of wine pants right now. Cheers.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!
I have heard of them and seen them advertised as well, but I have very, very rarely seen anyone wearing them.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Seriously. Many of the pants in the photos above look like cargo pants. Nothing special about them. They're pants!
The distinguishing feature is they can be converted from pants to shorts, hence the weird thick seam halfway down the leg. As others have pointed out this is often associated with hiking, but for whatever reason many people when going on holiday use them.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The distinguishing feature is they can be converted from pants to shorts, hence the weird thick seam halfway down the leg. As others have pointed out this is often associated with hiking, but for whatever reason many people when going on holiday use them.
This isn't anything new! There have been pants that you could do this with over 30 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel