U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 AM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times

Advertisements

Nice, France
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,017,408 times
Venice
Innsbruck
Zurich
Sienna
Salzburg
Amsterdam
Berlin
Mittenwald

Old 12-02-2017, 10:38 AM

956 posts, read 1,773,867 times
I've only been to Ireland, Northern Ireland(UK), and Netherlands in Europe so far, and for sure Amsterdam was my favorite place I did visit. Dublin wasn't bad either, but it doesn't quite equal how fun Amsterdam is IMO. BTW it has NOTHING to do with legal weed, more that there's more to do in Amsterdam. Plus the fact stores, restaurants, and pubs(especially this factor) close earlier than I prefer, is a negative about Dublin. Guess I'm too spoiled by the 24/7 convenience stores and places like Walmart Supercenters, that are 24/7 in the U.S.

For smaller towns and smaller cities, I really did like Delft and Haarlem in the Netherlands, Belfast in Northern Ireland(it's turned around more than I thought it would, since I used to read a lot about 'the troubles' conflict between Protestants and Catholics there), and also Kilkenny in southern Ireland. If I had to pick preferences of these places, probably it'd be a battle between Delft and Kilkenny. Those 2 places left the biggest impression on me in Europe(the VERY, very little I've seen of Europe, would like to travel more throughout Europe someday), after Amsterdam. That, and also the fact my Ireland bus trips did go to the(Kilkenny one) several stops in the Wicklow Mountains, and for the Belfast one also going up to the Northern Ireland coast. Which included the Giant's Causeway national park, and also the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 7,547 times
Inverness. It was a beautiful city, and not too far away from the Loch Ness, as well as other Scottish sites.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:23 PM

71 posts, read 29,688 times
Rome and London

Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM

11,661 posts, read 6,271,423 times
I've been to:

London
Oslo
Oxford
Paris
Istanbul (I guess part of Istanbul is technically within Europe, but I still hesitate to put it down as the city, culturally, is not what one thinks of when one thinks of Europe)

Out of that list, I enjoyed the sights most in Istanbul, but liked London the best overall.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:38 PM

2,166 posts, read 4,193,974 times
Some of my favorites so far:

Madrid
Málaga
Montpellier
Aix-en-Provence
Galway
Reykjavik
Genoa
Naples
Enna
Dubrovnik
Athens
Corfu

There are lots of places in Europe I haven't been, so the list keeps growing.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Chisinau, Moldova, is a lovely little gem of a place.

I only drove through Rijeka, Croatia, and always wanted to go back for more, but never got around to it.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 AM

4,409 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I have lived and worked in London in the late 80's and have visited it quite a few times even after I was working elsewhere in UK. It is a bit like NYC. A great place to wander, sight see, people watch and eat great food. But expensive. I am happy I did both when I was young and single did not earn much (hence pay high taxes) or have to raise a family. But now, i would rather visit both cities than stay there.
I am a New Yorker. Been to London a few times. And yes, it did remind me of Manhattan when I tried to make a right turn on a green light, only to be blocked by a wall of pedestrians, till the light turned red again.

It was a good trip for the first couple of times when you get to see the major attractions - which are really nice, in fact.

But for me, its not something that I would call my favorite city where I would like to visit over and over again. I already see enough tourist crowds at home. And perhaps I am more inclined towards natural scenic type relaxing vacations rather than being in the middle of a hectic city life.

Funny that I am visiting London again in coming June as kids wants to go again to meet their cousins and whatnot. Meeting family is a big attraction to me as well.

So yeah, I don't have an issue if London is someone's favorite city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Why would it surprise you so much? OK it might not be a 'favourite' but to be surprised that it is somebodies favourite is a 'surprise'. London is one of only two AA cities I believe? (the other being New York) and for you to be surprised somebody 'likes' it suggests that the city has a lot 'missing'. London has just about everything you can have in a city, Food, entertainment, world class museums, sport probably unmatched anywhere in the world, so many touristy things to see and do that you will need a month to see them all, OK not a favourite fair enough but to be 'surprised' somebody else likes it there? I don't see it. What does London actually 'lack'?
And I am surprised again that I can't freely express my notion of being surprised at something?

Please read above.
London may or may not lack anything, but some of the stuff it offers, I already have too much of it at home.

One of the world's greatest cities nonetheless, just not my favorite.

Are we still friends?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 03-08-2018 at 02:06 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 04:02 AM

597 posts, read 352,413 times
London, always my favourite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or