U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 AM

763 posts, read 437,549 times

Advertisements

Spirit. The most basic airline I have ever flown. The seats were the most uncomfortable ever. Sorry I will pay more to have a seat that actually reclines/is somewhat comfortable and upgrades such as watching moves, listening to music, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 AM

8,226 posts, read 10,807,220 times
Frontier...where to start?

You have to pay to select your seats that are like concrete,no snacks but a small cup of ice water,and pay for baggage and to bring on a carry on bag.

It was not worth the cheap ticket,because after everything is paid for you might have well just paid for a seat on Southwest or United.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 AM

3,308 posts, read 1,577,144 times
delta has been a dud for me. I never tried the budget airlines, reading the fine print has given me a few headaches, and the hassle is not worth it.

Delta seems to be that airline with snotty flight staff talking condescendingly to its passengers. I have had 1 too many run ins with them, to ever consider using them again.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 AM

72,108 posts, read 83,768,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Allegiant.

Great fares in theory but the cattle car feel in worn out MD-80s and Airbus A-319s has a similar feel to what I would call "Air Greyhound". Cancelled flights are a big issue also since they often have just one flight a day only a few times a week to most destinations.
so agree, when you have to pay for coffee or water that is pretty damn cheap and even for most bags. But, as you said, the price is right. Love it Air Greyhound.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 AM

360 posts, read 249,338 times
Air Amtrak would also be good. They refused me a credit card because was from another country.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,167,514 times
RYANAIR, Company funded by a madman.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,286,550 times
Lao Aviation (no longer called that believe it is now Lao Airlines) or Air America circa 1970-1971.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM

16,846 posts, read 7,496,526 times
Sunworld. Based in Las Vegas, they had a small fleet of mostly DC-9s. Good concept, lousy execution. No assigned seats, you received your seat when the gate agent pulled a sticker with a seat number off a sheet and stuck it to the ticket jacket. When they ran out of stickers, the flight was full. The arrival into our destination was interesting, as a pilot I wasn't too happy with the aggressive handling of the aircraft. We had a term for that in the Air Force: "ham-fisting", as in the pilot did not have hands but a pair of hams with which the aircraft was flown. I like a well-executed hand-flown approach and landing, but that one sucked, culminated with a landing hard enough that some overhead bins opened.

The return connected through Las Vegas to Ontario, CA. Nearly half the passengers were s**t-faced drunk. The hour-long flight was a joy... I would have rather had a flight full of screaming infants and toddlers messing with the seats. It could have been worse... they could have been drunk Manchester United hooligan fans.

Sunworld fortunately went under a year later.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM

5,315 posts, read 3,526,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
delta has been a dud for me. I never tried the budget airlines, reading the fine print has given me a few headaches, and the hassle is not worth it.

Delta seems to be that airline with snotty flight staff talking condescendingly to its passengers. I have had 1 too many run ins with them, to ever consider using them again.
Wow. I find Delta to be far and away the friendliest cabin crew. They smile, actually welcome you aboard and engage with you often. I've had some wonderful conversations with many of them over the years.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,529,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Frontier...where to start?

You have to pay to select your seats that are like concrete,no snacks but a small cup of ice water,and pay for baggage and to bring on a carry on bag.

It was not worth the cheap ticket,because after everything is paid for you might have well just paid for a seat on Southwest or United.
The first time I flew (late in life, it was 2011 from Des Moines to Las Vegas) it was on Frontier. It was wonderful! I told the FA that I was a first time flier and she jokingly said "Ok we will make sure to all make fun of you!" But then actually was super nice and checked on me a few times and high fived me when we landed. Sounds silly, but it actually made it a good experience and a good memory. (I've since flown dozens of times, to several countries. I learned right away that I love to fly!)

I understand Frontier has changed a lot in the last few years. On my first trip we were given warm chocolate chip cookies and drinks. Since we had 2 legs to that trip, we got cookies twice on the way there and back! I used Frontier multiple times before I moved to AZ and always had good experiences. Once my firs flight was delayed and I had literally 6 minutes to get from one end of Denver airport to the other to catch my next flight. I don't run, so I went as fast as I could and assumed I'd miss my connection. Nope. When I got there the ate agent said "Don't worry! We wouldn't leave without you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or