U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:29 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times

Advertisements

Credit cards are not for everyone. For those who have the means and discipline to pay the balance full every month, credit cards are great, not to mention a valuable tool in scoring you those free tickets or premium class upgrades with the points you accumulate.

Back to the OP, I would concentrate on putting my life in a better financial stage before traveling if I were you. My husband and I didn't travel (like, at all) for the first few years of our marriage when we were saving to buy a house. Once we felt secure enough financially, then we started traveling. I also won't do rough travel - camping in the middle of nowhere, renting a room in someone's house, not for me - so it took a while before we could afford to travel relatively in comfort (I don't mean staying at the Ritz either, I'm talking about staying at decent hotel in the heart of everything without having to worry about druggies or prostitutes harrassing you at the hotel's corner). I'm so glad we delayed our gratification for many years. There's a certain freedom in traveling and not having to worry about how you're going to pay for it when you get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM

7,737 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Credit cards are not for everyone. For those who have the means and discipline to pay the balance full every month, credit cards are great, not to mention a valuable tool in scoring you those free tickets or premium class upgrades with the points you accumulate.

Back to the OP, I would concentrate on putting my life in a better financial stage before traveling if I were you. My husband and I didn't travel (like, at all) for the first few years of our marriage when we were saving to buy a house. Once we felt secure enough financially, then we started traveling. I also won't do rough travel - camping in the middle of nowhere, renting a room in someone's house, not for me - so it took a while before we could afford to travel relatively in comfort (I don't mean staying at the Ritz either, I'm talking about staying at decent hotel in the heart of everything without having to worry about druggies or prostitutes harrassing you at the hotel's corner). I'm so glad we delayed our gratification for many years. There's a certain freedom in traveling and not having to worry about how you're going to pay for it when you get back.
This! If I can't travel with the money I have or at the very least pay the credit card balance off quickly after arriving home, I don't travel. It means my trips are more sporadic than I'd like, but the trips I do take mean that much more. To the OP, believe me, it SUCKS to have to wait when you really want to travel, but you will be glad you did.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:01 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,198,606 times
LOL @ how long this thread is getting despite both (a) the fact that OP has yet to come back and respond within it and (b) the fact that multiple posters have mentioned based on the OP's posting history that they might need to focus on some other things first outside of travel...

Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM

337 posts, read 176,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
LOL @ how long this thread is getting despite both (a) the fact that OP has yet to come back and respond within it and (b) the fact that multiple posters have mentioned based on the OP's posting history that they might need to focus on some other things first outside of travel...
It could be helpful to other posters IMO

Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 AM

9,075 posts, read 9,507,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skankhunt42 View Post
It could be helpful to other posters IMO
Agreed. Replies are because of the OP, but on all threads it's not just to OP we are "talking" to. Years from now someone else could find this thread and get some insight, you never know!

Old 08-13-2017, 01:52 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,431,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country! How are they doing it? I know every person situation is different. Ae they getting a credit card and taking short trips and paying for it later? What the hell are they doing?
Student loans. I won't go into details, but students are guaranteed X amount of money per semester without question (used to be, anyway). Many use it to fund vacations. My friend joined me on a European vacation for 2 weeks this way. It's very, very common and a horrible idea.

I travelled by asking for all birthday, Christmas, celebration gifts to go towards a travel account. My entire European vacation, and others, we're funded by family and friend gifts. It's worth noting that I was a very frugal traveller, so a little went a long way.

Also, couch surfing. I haven't heard much about it lately but I had a coworker who travelled exclusively using this method. His hosts usually fed him one meal a day as well.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:36 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I am in my mid 20s (26) ... I am in school ... I work 2 minimum wage jobs.

I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country!
How are they doing it?
At 26 most are done with school and earning the adult incomes needed to travel.

At your stage of life... you need to do what many 19/20 yo college students do:
summer and mid term jobs in remote locations. Earn your way.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 PM

371 posts, read 284,486 times
Save what you can. If traveling in the USA, Greyhound buses are your friend. Book a few weeks in advance and get good deals. Stay in hostels. Get free food from local food banks and cook your meals at the hostel. If possible, pick up work along the way. Not temp agencies that pay by the week, but try labor pools that pay each day. Many hostels can recommend places like this.

If you want to travel abroad, your plane ticket is your biggest expense. It may take time, but you should be able to find a good deal eventually if you are flexible. Pick a country with a very low cost of living. Eat whatever the local staple foods are, not American style food. Local fruits and baked goods from the market and street food are cheap options. Avoid taxi's. Travel by bus, and local transit(jeepney's, tuk-tuk's, ect.)

Last edited by tone77; 08-13-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 PM

295 posts, read 315,718 times
Live vicariously thru Instagram photos.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 PM

371 posts, read 284,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Live vicariously thru Instagram photos.

Thanks for contributing helpful advice that will help her fulfill her desire to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or