U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,873,769 times

Advertisements

While you're in school take advantage of any trips available from different departments at your school. For instance, when I was in school, the Campus Union Board sponsored annual ski trips, the theater department had annual trips to New York for plays and the antiquities department had a once in a lifetime trip that I could kick myself for not taking to Greece and Italy for six weeks during a summer semester. These were all priced for the student and in the case of the antiquities trip even had six hours of college credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,552,373 times
Camping is a great cheap option. We have camped all over the place and had a blast however it won't be in downtown Miami for example. But that's how we traveled while in school and working when we first started out. Hostels are another option but can be hit or miss.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
They say that the best years of your life is in your 20s. I am in my mid 20s (26) and day by day I am getting older.
In time, you will find that "they" are incorrect. Your best years are still ahead of you. (I'm 51, and I'm living the best years of my life right now!)

If you have a car and a friend or two or three, you can travel fairly cheaply. Not overseas, of course, but there's a whole lot worth seeing right here in the U.S. of A. Fuel costs and hotel costs and "per-car" admission fees can be split amongst your friends. Lots of hotels include breakfast, so if you stay at one of those places you can save a little more. Or, if you enjoy camping, you can bring a tent and save even more.

One word of advice is, be very clear with your friends about how you will split the costs. You don't want to risk having to hold the bag if they fail to chip in for their share.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The advice still stands. OP is best served to focus time and money on completing their education. And THEN traveling when there are sufficent funds. Someone who is making 7 bucks an hour (and presumably has no savings, or the question wouldn't have come up) simply cannot afford travel, even if it's cheap. And credit cards are NOT the answer.

Some of us can see the train wreck is about to happen. Closing your eyes doesn't stop it from happening. Priority now should be education and savings. Not travel.
In general I agree, though I don't think that a fun trip here or there, if carefully planned with an eye towards frugality, is mutually exclusive from what you're saying. I wholeheartedly agree on the credit cards. If you (OP) can't afford to travel with the cash that you (and your friends) have on hand, you can't afford to travel, period. You can use credit cards for convenience and cash back and all that, but ONLY if you are absolutely certain that you can pay it off IN FULL at the end of the month. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In time, you will find that "they" are incorrect. Your best years are still ahead of you. (I'm 51, and I'm living the best years of my life right now!)
This is actually a very interesting question.

I've past my 20s, it sucks to feel being old, but was I really happy when I was really young?

It depends. 20s was the best time to date college girls and get laid. My sex drive was stronger back then. It's much more fun than visiting London.

But financially, it wasn't the best time of my life so I didn't travel around the world. I honestly believe a vacation to exotic destinations like Florence, Italy is only typical for older couples and college students who have affluent parents.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM

1,528 posts, read 907,902 times
Might sound like a dumb question but WHY do you want to travel?

Exploring that question will help you to prioritize things in your life as there are different ways to satisfy your motivations for travel.

So far, the 'whys' that you mentioned are:
-you're young and "now's the time"
-you see people on facebook traveling.
-your mom said you should be traveling.

I think you should explore more about why you really want to travel as the list above does not really address your motivation for travel.

Or, if you really think about it, you might even find that you're fine with your current priorities which seem to be saving up to move out of your parents house and finishing education. If that's the case, then don't worry about what your mom says or what your facebook friends are posting.

I would always encourage young people and all people to travel (it's a very important principle in my life) but I also don't see life as a clock ticking away opportunity.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM

7,684 posts, read 16,109,576 times
STA travel often has student rates and package deals:

https://www.statravel.com/?from_US=true

You're also the right age to enjoy the $15 per night youth hostel dorm room and European backpacking trek. The hard part is getting there. If you can't get a cheap ticket from a place like STA, there's also the 'partner points' route. United- lousy airline, great frequent flyer program. It may take a year, but you can collect United miles on sites like MyPoints, Opinion Miles Club, e-Rewards & e-miles (when the lat two are taking new members again) by spending your spare time on tasks and surveys and claw your way to the 60-70K typically needed to get a round trip award ticket to a European starting point.

You only get a credit card if you a) have a decent enough credit score to get one of those 'get 50K miles for signing up for the card' promotions and then b) can meet the promotion terms for how much spending you need to do in the first few months in order to get the sign-up bonus (right now, I'm doing a Delta-American Express one that requires $3,000 in spending the first 4 months you have the card in order to get 60K miles)

And then pay off the balance every month. If you're able to do that, then check out sites like FlyerTalk and Fat Wallet for what the best offers are likely to be.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 AM

6,602 posts, read 2,379,668 times
Quote:
The advice still stands. OP is best served to focus time and money on completing their education. And THEN traveling when there are sufficent funds. Someone who is making 7 bucks an hour (and presumably has no savings, or the question wouldn't have come up) simply cannot afford travel, even if it's cheap. And credit cards are NOT the answer.

Some of us can see the train wreck is about to happen. Closing your eyes doesn't stop it from happening. Priority now should be education and savings. Not travel.

She IS focusing on her education, AND she's saving to move out from under her parents. You're telling her to do what she's already doing.

If traveling is what she REALLY wants to do while she's young, there ARE ways. But she might have to think outside the box.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM

9,816 posts, read 5,020,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She IS focusing on her education, AND she's saving to move out from under her parents. You're telling her to do what she's already doing.

If traveling is what she REALLY wants to do while she's young, there ARE ways. But she might have to think outside the box.
The fact that she brought up credit cards is a big red flag. Anyone who considers opening credit cards in order to travel, has no business traveling.

She's going to have to decide what's more important ... moving out of her parents' house and having savings, or travel. I can't imagine that all these things are possible while earning minimum wage.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Other thoughts...

Consider joining something like the Peace Corps, or a mission group. ...it seems to me it would be an experience of a lifetime.
BTDT, and STILL do that! Spent 3 months of our 1 yr RTW doing volunteer projects (free room and board)

Quote:
The advice still stands. OP is best served to focus time and money on completing their education. And THEN traveling when there are sufficent funds. ... credit cards are NOT the answer.
...Priority now should be education and savings. Not travel.
Yup, finish the task at hand while keeping your sights on the Future.

Quote:
Yes... bicycle and backpack (BTDT) works well. very cheap. Student / school sponsored trips VERY expensive and not my style (I do not like to be HERDED, and I do not like to be a 'tourist'). I stay eat / live with the locals CHEAP. Been doing it for 50+ yrs, very few motels / hotels (only 8 during our 1 yr RTW)

Lots of options... while in school I took many 2-3 day trips, but I never called them a 'vacation' nor did I ever SPEND like I was on a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or