U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM

6,569 posts, read 2,365,882 times

Advertisements

She is doing EVERYTHING already, that everyone has told her to do, except actually travel...the one and only thing she was asking about. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM

9,790 posts, read 5,004,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She is doing EVERYTHING already, that everyone has told her to do, except actually travel...the one and only thing she was asking about. Good grief.
In order to travel, she's going to have to use money that would otherwise go into saving to move out. That money is better "spent" (or not spent) getting her closer to her goal.

Otherwise, we're going to be reading a thread over in Non-Romantic Relationships about how much it sucks to live with her parents, but she can't afford to move out because she spends her money traveling.

And judging by her other posts/threads, she has MUCH larger concerns than whether or not she's able to go on vacations.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM

4,687 posts, read 2,315,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In order to travel, she's going to have to use money that would otherwise go into saving to move out. That money is better "spent" (or not spent) getting her closer to her goal.

Otherwise, we're going to be reading a thread over in Non-Romantic Relationships about how much it sucks to live with her parents, but she can't afford to move out because she spends her money traveling.

And judging by her other posts/threads, she has MUCH larger concerns than whether or not she's able to go on vacations.
Yikes! Yes!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,637,153 times
Best years of your life are your 40's and up - if you married right.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:12 PM

17,677 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
They say that the best years of your life is in your 20s. I am in my mid 20s (26) and day by day I am getting older. I want to travel. I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc. Though I work 2 minimum wage jobs. My parents travel they actually went to NYC today with my niece for a couple of days. My mom told me that I need to travel more and I told her I dont have any money.
I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country! How are they doing it? I know every person situation is different. Ae they getting a credit card and taking short trips and paying for it later? What the hell are they doing?

I do have enough to travel but I REALLY want to move out of my parents house.

How can you travel the globe and in this country when earning so little. I am in school to I am getting a degree in TV production. Anyways what can I do to travel more when I earn so little and trying to save to move out?

What are ways to go on a vacation or take quick trips around the country and etc?
A lot of people go into debt to travel.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She is doing EVERYTHING already, that everyone has told her to do, except actually travel...
the one and only thing she was asking about. Good grief.
Not so much.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49059970-post5.html

For whatever reason she is tied to the specific crappy MW job(s) she has now.
They'll NEVER pay enough to really travel but being tied to THEM limits her ability to
be anywhere else... even if only for a month or two at a time between semesters.

I say F! the jobs. pack a bag a point yourself somewhere appealing.
Travel there on the cheap and then do something for money while there.

eg: Recreation spots all over the country are IMPORTING people to do these jobs.
eg: anything else that interests you.

Her old job or something just as bad will be there when she gets back.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:03 PM

564 posts, read 296,223 times
Join the Marine Corps. Tell your DI you want to stay Stateside.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,046,217 times
How does the OP have the time to travel long distance, when they're already working two minimum wage jobs plus going to school?

The young people in their 20s who are taking trips are either already finished school, and out working at a job that pays better than minimum wage. And/or, they're splitting the costs with their girlfriend, boyfriend, or group of friends. Or couch surfing for accommodations when they travel. Or getting a financial boost from the Bank of Mom and Dad.

If money is really, really tight, you probably won't be travelling worldwide. But short trips not far from home could be done. Greyhound isn't that expensive. And there are different ways of saving money on accommodations. Try to plan for a long weekend in a nearby city or beach town, something like that. A trip to a national park. Forget London and Paris, though.

Forget them for now, I guess I should say. I don't want to sound discouraging... I felt trapped in a rural area when I was in my early 20s too. I was never on a plane until I had moved across half the country for a decent job, after I finished school. Since then, I've had enough money to go across two oceans. So, have some hope, but keep the goals and the spending realistic for now.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
For someone intent on traveling... how much sense does this make?...

work entry level jobs so you can afford security deposits / insurance / utilities / furniture / staples ... so you can move OUT, then travel and not use the above...

Since no Career is at stake...

Finish the EDU (while working purposefully in your career field (nights and weekends if necessary))

while completing EDU... define and plan a few steps forward:
  • Join military
  • Join Peace Corp
  • Find a CHEAP way to get to NZ (if under age 31 can get a work permit) Thousands do it every yr... it is GREAT !!!
  • Get a cheap camper van that you can LIVE and TRAVEL in!!! ~ $3000) + expenses (lots... fuel / insurance / campgrounds)
  • Get a 'travel job..'. There are MANY!!!
  • Get a bicycle and a backpack and tent ~$300 fully equipped (used)
  • Hit the road! or the sky or the seas.
  • DON'T get a 'home' till you satisfy your travel bug.
I had 4 SIL that ALL left for Hawaii for a summer. 37 yrs later... 2 are still traveling, and one remains in Hawaii (house sitting for last 37 yrs. no apartment needed).

Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 PM

815 posts, read 461,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The fact that she brought up credit cards is a big red flag. Anyone who considers opening credit cards in order to travel, has no business traveling.

She's going to have to decide what's more important ... moving out of her parents' house and having savings, or travel. I can't imagine that all these things are possible while earning minimum wage.
and people wonder why millennials get such a bad rap....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or