U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:20 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,635,500 times

Advertisements

If you go into Tv production, you could eventually end up traveling so much you'll wish you could stay home.

See the USA first, there is so much here. Don't worry about what others your age are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM

358 posts, read 663,492 times
You can pick up a part time job and get paid to travel some, may not be everywhere you want to go, but it gets you paid. Go to the local car dealerships and see if they need drivers for dealer exchanges, you get paid to drive new cars around. Also, check with local rental places like U-haul and other similar companies, they pay you to run trucks all over the country. Most of the U-haul runs are one way so you can add a couple days to the end and fly home while they pay for part of your vacation.

Just some ideas that have been done in the past.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 2,333,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
The simplest answer to this is that if you are 26 and still living with your parents, you DON'T travel. Your whole objective in your life should be to get out on your own. It's not that difficult.
Amen.

End thread.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
If you go into Tv production, you could eventually end up traveling so much you'll wish you could stay home.

See the USA first, there is so much here. Don't worry about what others your age are doing.
or... see the USA LAST (if you survive to Medicare eligibility age (w/o HC) and are STUCK in USA, cuz NO ONE wants / allows uninsured Americans)!)

Senior Pass to National Parks + econo RV's make USA very attractive for the elder generation.

Adventure seeking international travel and coed dorms are far more acceptable / digestible to the 20 - 40 somethings

My teens and 20's were spent "Then Came Bronson" style... grab a bedroll and HEAD OUT! Most of the USA and Canada 'on-the-road'

30+ yrs of Corporate travel were GREAT! Never got tired of being paid to travel!

Old 08-04-2017, 04:38 PM

31,599 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was aircrew in the Air National Guard. I traveled all over the world and went to about 45 countries. Not only did I receive my regular pay, but I also received flight pay and tax-free per diem. And now that I'm retired, they send a pension check every month. Pretty hard to beat that. They would have also paid college tuition for me, but I already had my Bachelor's degree.
My husband did the same and loved it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,190,943 times
No, your 20's are DEFINITELY not your best years. Who told you that?

Your brain doesn't even mature until age 26.

College students also trying to save money to move out of their parent's house typically aren't traveling. The globe or otherwise. I had an excellent paying job living at home in my early 20s and paying off my car and I guarantee you I wasn't traveling anywhere but down the shore - when I also decided to save money to "move out".

Unless their parents are footing the bill.

You indicate you've been there before?:

Quote:
I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc.
Reevaluate your basic premise then save your money with a goal in mind.

Back in the day when working people in their 20s wanted to travel they set up 'vacation clubs" with their bank or credit union and automatically saved the money out of every paycheck.

Of course that was pre-internet when people weren't getting so trolled by social media and even television LOL.

Alternatively: Get Married. (loljk)

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 PM

5,179 posts, read 669,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Dear you are all over the map here...

First - you need to prioritize what's important: travel or moving out of parents house? Set a goal & focus.

Second - You need to get a better job. It's good that you are going to school. Getting a degree in TV production isn't a great idea frankly, look around you: every yutz in pants has a video camera on them & publishes it to hundreds of millions of youTube, etc.. channels every hour and that is only increasing & diluting the audiences which means the "TV production" broadcast outlets have less & less money to pay less & less people & the jobs & wages are getting smaller daily. Plus if you stand any chance at all at making a meager living you will have to move to NYC, LA or DC & get a gig there.

I know of what I speak since I spent close to 40 years working in TV - media is in a turbulent time now, layoffs weekly. You would be better to study digital electronic engineering if you want to have a good shot of steady employment in TV.

If you really have a great idea for tv production start your youtube channel & start producing & marketing now!

The military suggestions aren't bad if you are stuck. But you need to prioritize a specific goal & focus like crazy on getting it done.

You want a great job? Become a pharmacist, you'll start around $100K/yr, more than 2-3X your short lived tv job, & no heavy lifting, no horrible hours, no moving equipment in the rain/snow & you'll be guaranteed work as all us old boomers need more & more meds! And you can find a job anywhere you want to live.
I agree with most of the above EXCEPT the recommendation to become a Pharmacist. I work in academia and my cousin and her husband are both pharmacists. Pharmacists are becoming a dime-a-dozen--there is a GLUT of new graduates being cranked out of Pharmacy schools. My cousin absolutely HATES her profession. Rarely will you find a full time pharmacist position at your local drugstore--a retail pharmacy doesn't want to pay benefits just like any other retail establishment. My cousin floats between two locations and has irregular hours. She'd give anything to be a librarian--but I work in an academic library and that has issues of its own.

One would be better getting training as an x-ray tech or some other type of hospital technician.

I've got 3 minutes remaining on my battery so I'll take this topic up later on the next post....

Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 PM

1,005 posts, read 576,065 times
If you do travel, I would advise staying in a hostel, making camping, backpacking, and finding friends or a ride share, like on craigslist where people share gas, etc. Even do a timeshare presentation to get a cheap deal, just adhere to the minimum requirements such as income, etc. Maybe do an educational student tour, like through educational tours, where you can make monthly payments for over a year. Many are international and you go with other students.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 PM

31,599 posts, read 19,939,787 times
There is a website where you hook up with people who will let you couch surf at their house. Met a guy who traveled all over the world doing that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 PM

24,971 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Sugar mommy/daddy? Find someone successful with a career on latch on for the ride....your niece seems to have figured it out.

Otherwise, I've found no shortcuts to affordable travel....especially after you have kids...heck even fast food for a family of 5 is now $35 when its all said/done.
I married a guy in the Army. We definitely traveled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or