U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,540,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
A lot of people go into debt to travel.
That's very unwise.

I never did. Even when I had little money, I just traveled cheaply. I rarely had a private bathroom when I traveled to Europe as a young woman, and I didn't regret my choice. I got to know innkeepers and all the other locals by not Americanizing my trip to stay in (god forbid) Hiltons, etc.

Something the OP could do is to work odd jobs during an extended trip so that there is income to pay for lodging and food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 PM

5,179 posts, read 669,147 times
...it's me again....I've got my computer plugged in now...

First off, if you're in school STAY in school.

That being said, I'm surprised no one mentioned the cruise ship industry. You could do a 6 month (or more) stint and travel the world. Yeah, you'd work for slave wages, your accommodations would be dreadful and the hours would probably be grueling, but on the up side you'd meet a ton of people and could make a little money while travelling. There are probably other service occupation job exchanges where you could work in a foreign country during the tourist season. No, it's not a vacation per se but it would give you the opportunity to be exposed to different cultures and places and you would walk away with some unique experiences.

Check this out this article from Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/article...AaAi_4EALw_wcB

Here's just one site I found on international job exchanges by doing a Google search under "hospitality service job exchange": https://jobs.goabroad.com/search/hos.../jobs-abroad-1

Of course, joining the military is also an option. I'm partial to the Air Force as my daughter was just commissioned in December and is currently stationed at Vandenberg AFB in California. While CA is beautiful, that area of the state is pretty desolate, however she's managed to take in a few weekend trips. She's been to Yosemite and Alcatraz Island and she's about an hour away from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Had my daughter not joined the military she probably would be stuck in CT still trying to find a job (like daughter #1 is doing now )

Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
They say that the best years of your life is in your 20s. I am in my mid 20s (26) and day by day I am getting older. I want to travel. I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc. Though I work 2 minimum wage jobs. My parents travel they actually went to NYC today with my niece for a couple of days. My mom told me that I need to travel more and I told her I dont have any money.
I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country! How are they doing it? I know every person situation is different. Ae they getting a credit card and taking short trips and paying for it later? What the hell are they doing?

I do have enough to travel but I REALLY want to move out of my parents house.

How can you travel the globe and in this country when earning so little. I am in school to I am getting a degree in TV production. Anyways what can I do to travel more when I earn so little and trying to save to move out?

What are ways to go on a vacation or take quick trips around the country and etc?
The only kind of traveling you should be considering is something cheap and local. I'm talking about a camping trip in the summer up in the mountains. Unless you have a job waiting for you in one of those destinations you mentioned, I'd forget about it. One poster mentioned joining the military service. That is probably the only other realistic option that you have.

I think that you should save your money and complete your education. I'm in my late fifties and my wife and still travel the world. There is plenty of time to see everything even if you don't get started until you are thirty or so. When I was in my mid-twenties, I had completed graduate school and was earning over $30,000 a year. I don't know why you are in a situation at this age where you are only able to hold a minimum wage job. Your focus ought to be on acquiring the skills necessary to earn a better living.

One of my complaints about our world is too many young people watch the media constantly and see an unrealistic lifestyle. The media plays up things that are expensive, fancy, and adventurous because that's what people want to see. Only a small minority of people can really afford these things though and its leads to much jealousy and envy.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 AM

1,687 posts, read 607,568 times
- find a bunch of travel buddies, split the cost of car rental and accommodations
- Greyhound
- Amtrak has some good discount deals, particularly the 15-day travel pass for under $500 ( all you can travel within 15 days, from coast to coast, and between, and back)
- hostels (Hostelling International and others)
- AirBnB
- buy bread & things at supermarket, and live on sandwiches while traveling
- cheapest flight deals on discount airlines (as found on Google Flights)
- occasionally sleeping on the airport/train/bus station
- cheap but fascinating countries (Southeast Asia, Nepal, Portugal, Hungary, etc)
- temporary work nationwide and international is of course the best solution, but you will indeed have to work (just like at home), rather than observe and contemplate the new worlds

I agree that you should travel while you are young, or at any other age. With the exception of falling in love and maybe taking certain ultimately deadly drugs (which I haven't tried, so can't say with certainty), there is probably no human experience as thrilling and intense as travel.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,580,961 times
So, curious about the OP since no response to many good suggestions & a quick check on her posts she admits she has some issues that are much bigger than traveling. I wish her well & good things & hope she can sort these out in the near future & finds her path forward.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
...it's me again....I've got my computer plugged in now...

First off, if you're in school STAY in school.

That being said, I'm surprised no one mentioned the cruise ship industry. You could do a 6 month (or more) stint and travel the world. Yeah, you'd work for slave wages, your accommodations would be dreadful and the hours would probably be grueling, but on the up side you'd meet a ton of people and could make a little money while travelling. There are probably other service occupation job exchanges where you could work in a foreign country during the tourist season. No, it's not a vacation per se but it would give you the opportunity to be exposed to different cultures and places and you would walk away with some unique experiences.

Check this out this article from Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/article...AaAi_4EALw_wcB

Here's just one site I found on international job exchanges by doing a Google search under "hospitality service job exchange": https://jobs.goabroad.com/search/hos.../jobs-abroad-1

Of course, joining the military is also an option. I'm partial to the Air Force as my daughter was just commissioned in December and is currently stationed at Vandenberg AFB in California. While CA is beautiful, that area of the state is pretty desolate, however she's managed to take in a few weekend trips. She's been to Yosemite and Alcatraz Island and she's about an hour away from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Had my daughter not joined the military she probably would be stuck in CT still trying to find a job (like daughter #1 is doing now )
Yes, the main way to travel is to FIND A JOB where you travel or are in a foreign country. A lot of these, like teaching English abroad, would probably require a degree, so it's in the OP's best interest to focus on getting her degree now and then work on finding those jobs later. When I was in my twenties I initially had super low wage jobs and wasn't going anywhere, so I found a job teaching English abroad and then suddenly I had the ability to travel to lots of interesting places. My sister managed to find a non-teaching job abroad through a language exchange, and then her long-distance boyfriend got jealous and found a position abroad elsewhere and she ended up on another continent for a couple of years one they married.

Of course military is also an option, but of course there isn't as much choice in that. It can be really hit or miss with whether you end up somewhere good or really remote, if not dangerous. The Peace Corps is also an option, but that is quite competitive and you will likely be somewhere quite remote. The Foreign Service is even more competitive and you will absolutely be somewhere remote and probably dangerous your first couple of postings.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 PM

337 posts, read 176,466 times
My 20s were the best years of my life LOL. I'm in my 30s now and being an adult sucks.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:14 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
So, curious about the OP since no response to many good suggestions & a quick check on her posts she admits she has some issues that are much bigger than traveling. I wish her well & good things & hope she can sort these out in the near future & finds her path forward.
THIS.............................................. .

I think someone else mentioned upthread that traveling should be the least of the OP's concerns considering some of the things they've posted about. I didn't have much to add after a quick look at some of their recent threads/posts as well. But also wish her well.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:57 PM

181 posts, read 211,650 times
Stop comparing your situation to others. They may make more money, have parents paying for their travel or are racking up debt to do it. You have your entire life to travel. Focus on your education and career.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM

9,066 posts, read 9,494,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Best years of your life are your 40's and up - if you married right.
I agree to the first part, but would change the last part to "if you get a divorce and are no longer married!"

Freedom in your 40s...nothing like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or