U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 9,497,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Do not use credit cards or otherwise go into debt. Bring in freelance income to fund your travel. Choose something you can do from anywhere with an Internet connection. SEO, social media marketing, web design/development, content writing, etc. I'm sure there are tons of other options. You're young and unencumbered... you should be able to do this without a problem. Check out Niall Doherty's blog (Google it; I think we're not supposed to post links). He has been traveling around the world for years without a steady "day job."
This. No one NEEDS a credit card.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM

605 posts, read 466,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You need a credit card if you want to build up a credit history which would come in handy if the OP decides to buy a house/condo/etc (the key is to use it for small purchases and pay them off ASAP). That being said I would not apply for a credit card just to be able to travel, they would be better off just finding another job or finish their degree and get a TESOL certificate which would allow them to teach English in foreign countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
There are some very useful common credit card features if you can be disciplined enough to pay the balance in full every month. We save hundreds every year using the credit card car rental insurance instead of buying the rental company's CDW/'Super cover'.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:24 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
They say that the best years of your life is in your 20s. I am in my mid 20s (26) and day by day I am getting older. I want to travel. I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc. Though I work 2 minimum wage jobs. My parents travel they actually went to NYC today with my niece for a couple of days. My mom told me that I need to travel more and I told her I dont have any money.
I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country! How are they doing it? I know every person situation is different. Ae they getting a credit card and taking short trips and paying for it later? What the hell are they doing?

I do have enough to travel but I REALLY want to move out of my parents house.

How can you travel the globe and in this country when earning so little. I am in school to I am getting a degree in TV production. Anyways what can I do to travel more when I earn so little and trying to save to move out?

What are ways to go on a vacation or take quick trips around the country and etc?
I hate to say it, but it's probably going to have to wait until you have a better paying job. Traveling on a shoe string is awful IMHO.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hate to say it, but it's probably going to have to wait until you have a better paying job. Traveling on a shoe string is awful IMHO.
Agreed. My wife and I travel on a budget but that means not staying at four star hotels or eating in fancy restaurants every night, we still always have a comfortable place to stay and enjoy all the food and activities we want.

I have no interest in doing a StealthRabbit where share a space in the middle of nowhere and pull weeds in exchange for a couch.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:58 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Well "needs" is kind of open ended term here but to travel it is pretty handy, especially if you want to book a plane/train/hotel in advance.

We hardly ever used them in Asia but here in Middle East and Europe it's been great just for the expense tracking. Instead of constantly entering what we're spending in cash into my phone I can look online at the end of the day to see what categories we spent money in.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:50 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,465,000 times
The best times I've had traveling were on very little money, sometimes did some odd jobs along the way. By bike, hitchhiking, backpacking... you have to stay away from places that eats your money. Sometimes it sucked cold, wet, hungry but was always worth it.

Of course it can be dangerous of course, I ended up falling in love and moving to Europe and getting married but it was a risk worth taking even if that whole being married thing was only good for about 9 years.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM

337 posts, read 176,523 times
While no one needs a credit card, they are a smart way to go about doing things provided you aren't someone who spends excessively. I've saved probably thousands over time with credit cards due to cash back, hotel nights, and some free airline tickets. I'm responsible financially though. If I do not have enough $$ in the bank to pay for anything, I don't buy it period.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Agreed. My wife and I travel on a budget but that means not staying at four star hotels or eating in fancy restaurants every night, we still always have a comfortable place to stay and enjoy all the food and activities we want.

I have no interest in doing a StealthRabbit where share a space in the middle of nowhere and pull weeds in exchange for a couch.
The first paragraph is my idea of a budget. I still want to be able to enjoy the vacation and have no worries about finances while I'm there. Growing up we used to always travel on a tight budget. Driving though the night, maybe pulling over and sleeping in the car. Parents were always complaining about not being able to afford things. It was awful and I refuse to travel that way. I will eat fast food and eat cheaply to save money, but I want the bare minimum in a clean hotel to sleep in.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 9,497,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Well "needs" is kind of open ended term here but to travel it is pretty handy, especially if you want to book a plane/train/hotel in advance.

We hardly ever used them in Asia but here in Middle East and Europe it's been great just for the expense tracking. Instead of constantly entering what we're spending in cash into my phone I can look online at the end of the day to see what categories we spent money in.
I've used a debit card to book travel, no problem, and just as protected by my bank as a credit card. I never want to encourage anyone to go into debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or