Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,918 times

Advertisements

They say that the best years of your life is in your 20s. I am in my mid 20s (26) and day by day I am getting older. I want to travel. I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc. Though I work 2 minimum wage jobs. My parents travel they actually went to NYC today with my niece for a couple of days. My mom told me that I need to travel more and I told her I dont have any money.
I see people on facebook around my age that are going all over the world and country! How are they doing it? I know every person situation is different. Ae they getting a credit card and taking short trips and paying for it later? What the hell are they doing?

I do have enough to travel but I REALLY want to move out of my parents house.

How can you travel the globe and in this country when earning so little. I am in school to I am getting a degree in TV production. Anyways what can I do to travel more when I earn so little and trying to save to move out?

What are ways to go on a vacation or take quick trips around the country and etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Traveling to a domestic city does not cost much. Do you have a few hundred dollars?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
The travelling I did in my 20s was pretty much forgotten by the time I got to my 50s, and on returning to Paris I couldn't even remember if I'd been up the Eiffel Tower the first time round. So glad I didn't begin to do my serious travelling until I got past the age of 50, much more enjoyable and memorable then, and I appreciated what I was seeing more than I would have 20 or 30 years earlier.

Perhaps I was fortunate in not having credit or debit cards in my 20s, and didn't have the constant temptation to spend money I didn't have. Travelling was always my dream, but I concentrated on seeing my own country first, which was a lot of fun. And I've always done low wage work.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I was aircrew in the Air National Guard. I traveled all over the world and went to about 45 countries. Not only did I receive my regular pay, but I also received flight pay and tax-free per diem. And now that I'm retired, they send a pension check every month. Pretty hard to beat that. They would have also paid college tuition for me, but I already had my Bachelor's degree.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
What are ways to go on a vacation or take quick trips around the country and etc?
You're approaching it all wrong... vacations and quick trips are for people who
a) have money and b) have a solid reason/need to get back to making more of that money.
You don't have either (and probably never will if you don't gain the skills/education needed).

Instead of focusing on getting to somewhere ... work on being somewhere.
You can find a crappy minimum wage job (like you have now) just about anywhere.
Pick an appealing somewhere and GO there.

Travel there. BE in that place for a while.
Find a way to keep some money in your pocket.
Rinse & Repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhAC0dFis0

Last edited by MrRational; 08-03-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Instead of spending time and money on vacations, put them to better use finding a way to get out of minimum wage jobs. The vacationing comes when you can actually afford it.

DO NOT use credit cards if you don't have the means to pay them off.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
instead of spending time and money on vacations, put them to better use finding a way to get out of minimum wage jobs. The vacationing comes when you can actually afford it.

Do not use credit cards if you don't have the means to pay them off.
+1.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
The OP IS in school...so most likely won't be doing minimum wage jobs forever. And the OP wasn't asking for life advice...just advice on ways to travel cheap.

OP, at THIS stage in your life, it seems like you can save and plan for ONE fabulous location, OR take smaller but more frequent trips closer to home. Seems like you can't really do both AT THIS TIME in life.

Some ideas to travel cheaper...if you live close to an airport, see if you can get a job that offers reduced airline tickets.
See if you can get a job with a travel agency.
Consider Greyhound and Amtrak. Amtrak travels from one coast to the other, with stops all along the way, and it's relatively cheap. https://www.amtrak.com/home?utm_sour...P=search_brand

Consider traveling with a friend. That way, you can split hotel and cab costs.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Other thoughts...

Consider joining something like the Peace Corps, or a mission group. Some groups go to other countries for very specific purposes, like rebuilding a school after a flood...stuff like that. It'd be a working vacation, so to speak...but it seems to me it would be an experience of a lifetime.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The OP IS in school...so most likely won't be doing minimum wage jobs forever. And the OP wasn't asking for life advice...just advice on ways to travel cheap.
The advice still stands. OP is best served to focus time and money on completing their education. And THEN traveling when there are sufficent funds. Someone who is making 7 bucks an hour (and presumably has no savings, or the question wouldn't have come up) simply cannot afford travel, even if it's cheap. And credit cards are NOT the answer.

Some of us can see the train wreck is about to happen. Closing your eyes doesn't stop it from happening. Priority now should be education and savings. Not travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel