U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,541,985 times

Advertisements

Regarding travel insurance, be sure you read and understand the circumstances and scope of coverage covered. Too many people buy it and are then surprised that it does not cover their circumstances. It seems to work best for package deals through a travel agent.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Maybe you can let a friend or relative pay the rest and take the trip instead of canceling. At least then someone you care for would get something out of it for a bargain.
What a GREAT idea!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,785,778 times
Quote:
Maybe you can let a friend or relative pay the rest and take the trip instead of canceling. At least then someone you care for would get something out of it for a bargain.
I really like this idea. You can try to find someone who will pay you back the deposit to take over the trip so you aren't out the money, but if no one comes along, you could gift someone the deposit so they could enjoy what is probably a great vacation even if not what you personally want to do at this time. Beats giving the money to the resort!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM

279 posts, read 434,553 times
Quote:
I don't think I know anyone who would be interested in taking this trip, nor do I want to subsidize anyone's vacation by $1500. A stranger recently expressed interest in buying my reservation, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM

9,075 posts, read 9,507,813 times
Just curious, where is the trip to?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
I don't think I know anyone who would be interested in taking this trip, nor do I want to subsidize anyone's vacation by $1500. A stranger recently expressed interest in buying my reservation, but I haven't heard back from them yet.
So rather than gift your deposit to a good friend or relative who might enjoy the trip, you would rather 'gift' it to the vacation/resort company???

Old 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM

279 posts, read 434,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just curious, where is the trip to?
For privacy reasons, I'm not at liberty to say, but someplace warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So rather than gift your deposit to a good friend or relative who might enjoy the trip, you would rather 'gift' it to the vacation/resort company???
I would rather not gift it to anyone and I'm happy to report that my buyer came through and the reservation has been sold. Whew! That was a close call! Thanks everyone!

Old 08-07-2017, 05:51 PM

815 posts, read 462,085 times
I think I know what you're getting at. Your deposit is sort of like your "investment" and you're stuck between dumping it completely and losing that or shelling out more money for a trip you're just not excited about. I would just cut my losses and focus on the fun trip. Pretend that you needed the money to fix the HVAC or a new laptop

Old 08-08-2017, 03:51 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
This is the crux of the matter. You have another more fun trip come along later that has taken off the shine of the original trip, and makes it not as exciting as it once was.

A but like having a girlfriend and a pretty young girl comes along whom you are attracted to. Do you let go of your gf along with all that was invested in it, for a new unknown exciting person.
Depends.

If gender=male, then you do both.

Just kidding people!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:57 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,198,606 times
Congrats OP on selling your trip.

I was so waiting to hear where the old trip was and where the new trip is going to be...would have been interesting to know exactly what it was about the new trip that's so much better than the old one. And perhaps would have helped some of us to understand even more why you were so set on cancelling your original plans despite the headache(s) and financial risks in doing so.

Anyhow...I get it.

Go with your gut on these things...I was deciding between the Caribbean and Kauai months ago and literally all my friends said go to the Caribbean. I couldn't have been happier that I ended up choosing Kauai. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or