Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM

279 posts, read 593,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
This is the crux of the matter. You have another more fun trip come along later that has taken off the shine of the original trip, and makes it not as exciting as it once was.

A but like having a girlfriend and a pretty young girl comes along whom you are attracted to. Do you let go of your gf along with all that was invested in it, for a new unknown exciting person.
That's basically what happened. I unexpectedly fell deeply in love with something else and taking the trip no longer interests me.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Then unless you can find someone wanting to buy your interest in the trip, just cancel and take the loss.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
That's basically what happened. I unexpectedly fell deeply in love with something else and taking the trip no longer interests me.
And now for the rest of the story...

Old 08-06-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
And now for the rest of the story...
I'm sorry, should I have mentioned that in the beginning? Yes, I fell in love and it actually has nothing to do with the trip that I'm planning to take in place of the trip that I'm planning to cancel. For a while, I wasn't going to take that trip either but then I decided that I'll still go on that one. I actually just booked it today. But now I'm thinking that there are other trips that I may need to take early next year (I don't know for sure yet), so I can't have that other trip that I'm no longer interested in getting in the way. It's complicated!

Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Your life sounds, ah, a bit dynamic. Argues against planning too far ahead. Save long term planning for when you're retired, like I am. When I was younger, starting a family and all that, never planned more than a few months ahead. Younger than that, didn't plan ahead at all, since I traveled in the off season, and camped most of the time. I was in California then, with much to explore by car.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Your life sounds, ah, a bit dynamic. Argues against planning too far ahead. Save long term planning for when you're retired, like I am. When I was younger, starting a family and all that, never planned more than a few months ahead. Younger than that, didn't plan ahead at all, since I traveled in the off season, and camped most of the time. I was in California then, with much to explore by car.
This was just an unusual situation. I'm really not this indecisive most of the time, but I did have some concerns about booking the trip almost a year in advance because I know anything can happen. I'll take it as a lesson learned and it won't happen again.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Quote:
I've paid about $1500 towards a trip that I've decided that I just don't feel like taking. If I decide not to go, the resort won't refund me any of the money. However, I am allowed to sell my reservation to someone else which I'm currently trying to do (but that's not the reason why I posted this thread, so don't worry). Basically my heart is just no longer into taking this trip anymore. If I do decide to go, I'll have to pay a final deposit of around $1800. So it's like I can pay another $1800 to go on a trip that I don't really want to take or I can lose $1500 and just be done with it (if I don't find anyone else who wants to buy my reservation). From what I've heard, most people really enjoy this trip so I would probably have fun if I went, but I just don't feel like going. The trip is in January and I need to cancel by October if I'm not going because that's when the next deposit is due.

What would you do if you were me? Also if you've ever experienced losing your trip deposit, please let me know so I can feel better. Thanks!
It would be interesting to know more about the resort, why type and where it’s located. Will they negotiate to a different time period that might be more desirable for you or someone else?

I’ve had an issue with a travel company and the customer agents although pleasant wouldn’t help much. After writing a letter (email document) to the corporate office and explaining the problem they responded with a positive solution that was helpful. Sometimes you have to go around the frontline people and move up the food chain.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
We've heard that song:
Behind the Song: Dierks Bentley

Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Maybe you can let a friend or relative pay the rest and take the trip instead of canceling. At least then someone you care for would get something out of it for a bargain.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
No, it's not depression. It's just that my interests have changed recently and I'd rather go somewhere else, so I don't want to waste time and (more) money on this other trip.
Have only had to cancel a trip once in my life. We were supposed to head to St. John USVI and my kindergarten kid broke her ankle. I did not have trip insurance but the airline and place we were to stay were nice enough to refund us. They didn't have to. Ever since then I have purchased travel insurance for major trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel