U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Tinley Park, IL
279 posts, read 434,269 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

I've paid about $1500 towards a trip that I've decided that I just don't feel like taking. If I decide not to go, the resort won't refund me any of the money. However, I am allowed to sell my reservation to someone else which I'm currently trying to do (but that's not the reason why I posted this thread, so don't worry). Basically my heart is just no longer into taking this trip anymore. If I do decide to go, I'll have to pay a final deposit of around $1800. So it's like I can pay another $1800 to go on a trip that I don't really want to take or I can lose $1500 and just be done with it (if I don't find anyone else who wants to buy my reservation). From what I've heard, most people really enjoy this trip so I would probably have fun if I went, but I just don't feel like going. The trip is in January and I need to cancel by October if I'm not going because that's when the next deposit is due.

What would you do if you were me? Also if you've ever experienced losing your trip deposit, please let me know so I can feel better. Thanks!

 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Reputation: 24167
I haven't, but this sounds like the scenario we faced in 2012 when selling our house in AZ and moving to NC. But that loss was WAY WAY WAY more than $1500. On that, my advice would be pull the bandaid off as quickly as possible and move on with your life.

But I feel like I must add something. Rhetorical question: have you considered the possibility that you are suffering from depression?
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Tinley Park, IL
279 posts, read 434,269 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I haven't, but this sounds like the scenario we faced in 2012 when selling our house in AZ and moving to NC. But that loss was WAY WAY WAY more than $1500. On that, my advice would be pull the bandaid off as quickly as possible and move on with your life.

But I feel like I must add something. Rhetorical question: have you considered the possibility that you are suffering from depression?
No, it's not depression. It's just that my interests have changed recently and I'd rather go somewhere else, so I don't want to waste time and (more) money on this other trip.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,667 posts, read 28,685,250 times
Reputation: 43679
Then take the loss and do something else next winter.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM
 
1,154 posts, read 1,871,272 times
Reputation: 1357
Next time buy trip insurance that will cover you if you change your mind. For instance, I'm a scuba diver. One of the trip insurances will allow me to cancel up to one day before the trip begins for any reason at all, but it is quite expensive. Now when I schedule a trip, I'm excited about it and am pretty sure I'm not going to change my mind, so I just buy the normal trip insurance that will allow me to cancel because of sickness, weather, etc. As expensive as it is, which depends on the costs involved in the trip, it would still be cheaper than losing a $1500 deposit.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 12:32 PM
 
337 posts, read 176,582 times
Reputation: 258
I would just go. I mean I went on trips that I was really excited about which ended up sucking and vice versa.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 12:36 PM
 
2,674 posts, read 1,538,755 times
Reputation: 2582
You really need to think these things through more effectively in the future. $1500 would be a lot to lose to me, but "I just don't feel like taking" the trip sounds pretty lame and fickle to me (YMMV). How could a stranger ever tell you what to do, knowing that you might change your mind yet again?

Regardless, good luck sorting out your desires. I hope you can be comfortable with whatever decision you make.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Tinley Park, IL
279 posts, read 434,269 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Next time buy trip insurance that will cover you if you change your mind. For instance, I'm a scuba diver. One of the trip insurances will allow me to cancel up to one day before the trip begins for any reason at all, but it is quite expensive. Now when I schedule a trip, I'm excited about it and am pretty sure I'm not going to change my mind, so I just buy the normal trip insurance that will allow me to cancel because of sickness, weather, etc. As expensive as it is, which depends on the costs involved in the trip, it would still be cheaper than losing a $1500 deposit.
With the "cancel for any reason" insurance that I've seen, you need to purchase that almost immediately after you book the trip, which I didn't. In the future, I just won't book something so far in advance if the deposit is non-refundable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankhunt42 View Post
I would just go. I mean I went on trips that I was really excited about which ended up sucking and vice versa.
I'm sure I'd have at least SOME fun if I went, but I just don't want to. My state of mind when I booked the trip in February was completely different than what it is now. Also, I've already made arrangements to travel somewhere else and I don't want to pay for both trips.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
You really need to think these things through more effectively in the future. $1500 would be a lot to lose to me, but "I just don't feel like taking" the trip sounds pretty lame and fickle to me (YMMV). How could a stranger ever tell you what to do, knowing that you might change your mind yet again?

Regardless, good luck sorting out your desires. I hope you can be comfortable with whatever decision you make.
Thanks! $1500 isn't an amount that I'm thrilled about losing, but it won't break me.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Northern panhandle WV
3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Reputation: 6691
Maybe by October your mindset will change again, I would wait till the last minute to cancel, also look for a different vacation you can take for $1800. That way you will come out even so to speak.
 
Old 08-06-2017, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Starting a walkabout
1,938 posts, read 937,464 times
Reputation: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post

I'm sure I'd have at least SOME fun if I went, but I just don't want to. My state of mind when I booked the trip in February was completely different than what it is now. Also, I've already made arrangements to travel somewhere else and I don't want to pay for both trips..
This is the crux of the matter. You have another more fun trip come along later that has taken off the shine of the original trip, and makes it not as exciting as it once was.

A but like having a girlfriend and a pretty young girl comes along whom you are attracted to. Do you let go of your gf along with all that was invested in it, for a new unknown exciting person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top