U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times

Advertisements

Yeah, starting your trip in Dublin will be a good starting point as there are many flights to warmer parts of Europe from there and Aer Lingus' prices are usually kind to your wallet.

I kinda agree with posters above about beaches of Europe. I'm a beach goer myself and for ocean swimming / true beach vacation, I would stay 'home' in the US. There's Hawaii if you want something different, or Florida's gulf coast. The water will be warmer for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
One possible advantage of starting in Dublin is that AI seem to be offering some low price fares these days, possibly because of Ryanair. Keep an eye on their transatlantic fares, Oct is off season as well. They also have low priced fares to Portugal, maybe they would have a cheap DUB layover?

October in Dublin could be wet & damp or pleasant, they used to have a theatre festival in Oct, dunno if that's still a thing, there is some sort of big cultural festival there this year Sept or Oct.

Portugal beaches are all Atlantic ocean waters & colder than the Mediterranean waters of Spain, etc... anytime.
I noticed that RE: the prices...Dublin seems like a cool/fun city and it's not a long flight from there to Portugal (or to Marseille or a host of other places in Europe). The prices are running low for early October right now although you bring up a good point-the weather.

This will be the first trip of this kind of duration (2 weeks) where I am *promising* myself to pack light and *only* bring a carry-on. Dublin average daily temps are far enough outside of Portugal's that would requie I bring an extra couple of layers to ensure I'm properly dressed.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yeah, starting your trip in Dublin will be a good starting point as there are many flights to warmer parts of Europe from there and Aer Lingus' prices are usually kind to your wallet.

I kinda agree with posters above about beaches of Europe. I'm a beach goer myself and for ocean swimming / true beach vacation, I would stay 'home' in the US. There's Hawaii if you want something different, or Florida's gulf coast. The water will be warmer for sure.
I'm paying for the flight with points actually...but now you guys are making me wonder if I should pay for the flight itself...I know Dublin is usually cheaper to fly into so I might look into doing this and instead use all of the points for accommodations. I'll have to run the numbers and see what it makes more sense to use the points for now.

I went to Hawaii last month (Kauai/Oahu). The water is cold there to me even in July so I figured it would be cold in Portugal in early October but I just wasn't sure if it would be 'absolutely no one will be in the water' cold....

But I've been watching videos on Youtube of the Algarve region and it just looks soooo beautiful.

Hhhhmmm...I'm kinda torn now. I need to get focused and start narrowing locations down for real. Flying into Dublin sounds like a good start now. I will definitely end in Portugal still.

Do I try to fit in another city before flying to Portugal?

RE: The beaches--I had my mind set on getting some drone footage in the Algarve region and a few days sunbathing/reading on the beach.

I do work from home though so there is always the option of going to the Caribbean or Mexico in November or December for a week so that I can spend time actually 'in' the water.

I guess the question now is, is the scenery in Algarve worth experiencing knowing I won't be able to swim? That is kinda driving my decision to put that region on my list--the beauty of the caves/rock formations there I think are unlike anything I've personally seen before. The colors look amazing and I'd love to get some footage of the sun setting there.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm paying for the flight with points actually...but now you guys are making me wonder if I should pay for the flight itself...I know Dublin is usually cheaper to fly into so I might look into doing this and instead use all of the points for accommodations. I'll have to run the numbers and see what it makes more sense to use the points for now.

I went to Hawaii last month (Kauai/Oahu). The water is cold there to me even in July so I figured it would be cold in Portugal in early October but I just wasn't sure if it would be 'absolutely no one will be in the water' cold....

But I've been watching videos on Youtube of the Algarve region and it just looks soooo beautiful.

Hhhhmmm...I'm kinda torn now. I need to get focused and start narrowing locations down for real. Flying into Dublin sounds like a good start now. I will definitely end in Portugal still.

Do I try to fit in another city before flying to Portugal?

RE: The beaches--I had my mind set on getting some drone footage in the Algarve region and a few days sunbathing/reading on the beach.

I do work from home though so there is always the option of going to the Caribbean or Mexico in November or December for a week so that I can spend time actually 'in' the water.

I guess the question now is, is the scenery in Algarve worth experiencing knowing I won't be able to swim? That is kinda driving my decision to put that region on my list--the beauty of the caves/rock formations there I think are unlike anything I've personally seen before. The colors look amazing and I'd love to get some footage of the sun setting there.
If I'm going to the beach it's to swim and check out the scenery. I was curious and again I took a look at the sea temperatures and it seems like some of the beaches in that region never make it higher than 70 degrees at any point during the year which is strange. I've read ideal water temps are anywhere from 77-82 degrees. I would venture south, Greece maybe or even Spain. Like other posters have said, Portugal is Atlantic Ocean water so the temps will be similar to what you'd see on the East Coast that time of year.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
If I'm going to the beach it's to swim and check out the scenery. I was curious and again I took a look at the sea temperatures and it seems like some of the beaches in that region never make it higher than 70 degrees at any point during the year which is strange. I've read ideal water temps are anywhere from 77-82 degrees. I would venture south, Greece maybe or even Spain. Like other posters have said, Portugal is Atlantic Ocean water so the temps will be similar to what you'd see on the East Coast that time of year.
Ugh....

Yeah it looks as though getting in the water is obviously not going to be an option. Which is why I'm wondering if it's still worth it to stop in the Algarve. On the TripAdvisor forum one poster that lived there said they were people in the water early last October. Maybe tourists...? Perhaps the weather was warmer than usual last year. But I checked accuweather.com and it was all over the place for several months. As in a high of 80, 3 days later a high of 69. Maybe it would still be worth 2 days...I don't know. I have to figure that out. In the Algarve TripAdvisor forum they mentioned it would be colder in the water in Greece...

Old 08-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Hhhmmmm....

I'm feeling like a Dublin > Berlin > Portugal trip might be a nice mix right about now...

Greece might just deserve it's own entire trip in 2018 I'm starting to think.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times
I think the entire Algarve region is definitely worth a visit without dipping in the water. I went there in early May a few years ago and didn't even bother going in the water. Water was cold (as I predicted) anyway. The western side of Algarve is truly magnificent! We went to Silves, Monchique, Sagres, Lagos, and of course Cabo de Sao Vicente.

The best mode of transportation so you can see everything you want is to rent a car, but if you don't want to do that, you may want to consider taking a day tour (make sure you choose the one that says 'small group' and will take as little as 2 people in the group). Your hotel lobby should have plenty of brochures about this, or go to local TI (Tourist Information office). Since you're going off season, the prices will be lower for sure. My coworker took similar trip in Algarve several years ago in Feb and it cost her 13 euros for a whole day trip (9 hours). And she saw almost everything that we saw without the hassle of driving, and she was picked up / dropped off at her hotel.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I think the entire Algarve region is definitely worth a visit without dipping in the water. I went there in early May a few years ago and didn't even bother going in the water. Water was cold (as I predicted) anyway. The western side of Algarve is truly magnificent! We went to Silves, Monchique, Sagres, Lagos, and of course Cabo de Sao Vicente.

The best mode of transportation so you can see everything you want is to rent a car, but if you don't want to do that, you may want to consider taking a day tour (make sure you choose the one that says 'small group' and will take as little as 2 people in the group). Your hotel lobby should have plenty of brochures about this, or go to local TI (Tourist Information office). Since you're going off season, the prices will be lower for sure. My coworker took similar trip in Algarve several years ago in Feb and it cost her 13 euros for a whole day trip (9 hours). And she saw almost everything that we saw without the hassle of driving, and she was picked up / dropped off at her hotel.
Thank you so much for these tips---they are very helpful!

I am still trying to figure out what city to add in between Dublin and Portugal. I am thinking Berlin or somewhere in France right now...it's so hard to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or