U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times

Advertisements

For those who weren't aware of this, the lifetime "America the Beautiful The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass" price will be going up substantially on August 28, 2017.

It's a lifetime pass available to US citizens and permanent residents age 62 and above, and gets you into all national parks, national monuments, federal recreational lands, and various other federal attractions that charge an admission fee. It's non-transferable and can't be replaced for free if lost or stolen, but it does cover the pass owner and three accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged.

At present, the pass can be purchased for $10 directly at one of the sites that charges admission, or for $20 online or via mail request -- and that has been the price for several years now. Beginning on August 28, 2017, however, the price will go up to $80 in person/$90 online or via mail.

If you go directly to one of the federal sites selling these, you need to bring an ID with you such as a drivers license or passport, and you can only buy one for yourself. It might also be wise to call first before going by to make sure they have the passes in stock. Please note that you cannot buy this pass at federal sites that do not charge admission.

Links:

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/se...ss-changes.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Thanks for the heads up. My mom might want to get one...my dad has had one but they weren't sure if she should get one as well. This just might be the impetus for her.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:07 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
At present, the pass can be purchased for $10 directly at one of the sites that charges admission, or for $20 online or via mail request -- and that has been the price for several years now. Beginning on August 28, 2017, however, the price will go up to $80 in person/$90 online or via mail.
$80 for a lifetime NPS pass is still a great bargain, sure not as great as $10, but that price was ridiculously low. I pay $80 each year for my pass!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
I got mine in 1966, best $10 I ever spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or