U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Asian countries are most interesting to Americans? (Pick up to 3)
Cambodia 3 4.48%
China 16 23.88%
Japan 43 64.18%
Indonesia 7 10.45%
Laos 1 1.49%
Malaysia 4 5.97%
Philippines 10 14.93%
Singapore 8 11.94%
South Korea 10 14.93%
Taiwan 4 5.97%
Thailand 32 47.76%
Vietnam 11 16.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,203 posts, read 4,212,250 times
Reputation: 2779

Advertisements

I haven't visited all of the countries on the list, but the first Asian country I went to was Taiwan--a vastly underrated place with a lot of appeal to American tourists willing to try it out. It is generally a very modern and highly developed place with lots of skyscrapers and shopping malls, but it also has a lot of traditional places and some interesting natural areas. During my brief stay there (8 days or so) several Taiwanese approached me to ask (in English) if I needed help finding anything, and several did help me locate temples and other places I was searching for. There are many temples, museums, and other interesting places to visit, but one of my favorite things were the night markets: they were incredible and much more engaging and interesting (to me) than the night markets in Thailand, for example. It seems to me that Taiwan doesn't get much American tourism, but it is a heavily pro-USA place with a lot of infrastructure to accommodate American tourists.

I also loved Tokyo, the only place in Japan I've been able to visit. It's superficially very similar to NYC with its high-rises, flashy lights, trendy styles, etc., but in spite of all of that it seemed very foreign to me, in a good way. Many service people (metro/train workers, hotel staff, etc.) spoke just enough English, but the economy is so developed and strong that Japanese takes first place in virtually all areas. This projects the sense that Japan is primarily a place for Japanese people, with just enough support for English-speaking tourists to get by. I don't find it bland at all, and I hope to go back soon and visit Hokkaido and other less urban places.

Bangkok and Chiang Mai in Thailand respond very well to American tourists--many people speak at least a little English, many restaurants have English menus, etc.--but I often felt that the country was a bit too accommodating. It seems that tourism is such a significant part of the economy that efforts are made to make sure that Americans feel welcome there. That's very nice, but also a bit unsettling to me: even though I tried to venture into less touristy neighborhoods, I generally felt that English was too pervasive and tourists shaped the culture a bit too much. But I'd still like to go back and explore more rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,790 posts, read 5,154,148 times
Reputation: 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
It seems to me that Taiwan doesn't get much American tourism, but it is a heavily pro-USA place with a lot of infrastructure to accommodate American tourists.
According to official US statistics Taiwan receives as many American tourists as Thailand does.
https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...S-Outbound.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,203 posts, read 4,212,250 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
According to official US statistics Taiwan receives as many American tourists as Thailand does.
https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...S-Outbound.pdf
Very interesting resource. It seems to me that tourist culture is much more visible (and shapes the culture) much more in Thailand than in Taiwan, so I'm thinking about how to reconcile that with the list you provided.... The list looks at American visitors in general, so perhaps those going to Thailand tend to be more leisure tourists (which get a lot of visibility in the culture in general), and those visiting Taiwan tend to be more business visitors. Also, perhaps the leisure tourists in Thailand tend to be more visible (backpackers, beach mavens, etc.) whereas maybe American leisure tourists in Taiwan are a bit older and don't need the party atmosphere of Phuket or Khao San Road or Patpong Night Market. In any case, the numbers notwithstanding, there's more buzz in American culture about visiting Thailand than Taiwan--probably for these reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM
 
2,563 posts, read 1,658,863 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Very interesting resource. It seems to me that tourist culture is much more visible (and shapes the culture) much more in Thailand than in Taiwan, so I'm thinking about how to reconcile that with the list you provided.... The list looks at American visitors in general, so perhaps those going to Thailand tend to be more leisure tourists (which get a lot of visibility in the culture in general), and those visiting Taiwan tend to be more business visitors. Also, perhaps the leisure tourists in Thailand tend to be more visible (backpackers, beach mavens, etc.) whereas maybe American leisure tourists in Taiwan are a bit older and don't need the party atmosphere of Phuket or Khao San Road or Patpong Night Market. In any case, the numbers notwithstanding, there's more buzz in American culture about visiting Thailand than Taiwan--probably for these reasons.
I think Europeans outnumber American a lot in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,938 posts, read 1,605,207 times
Reputation: 7987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think Europeans outnumber American a lot in Thailand.
By a very large factor too. I wonder if there isn't also an explanation for the numbers of US going to Taiwan which is really off the tourist map for most Americans, unlike the mainland. Perhaps there are a number of Chinese Americans visiting family?

From the little I've seen on tv on Taiwan it seems to have a lot going for it for tourism - moderate weather, beautiful scenery, friendly folks & good food. I don't see much marketing of it over here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,724 posts, read 40,123,670 times
Reputation: 23882
Taiwan is a very popular business and ‘family’ stop (those from US visiting Asia family)+ a lot more Taiwan nationals in US than Thai.

Ironic that Europe has been using Thailand for HC for the last 50 yrs. (citizens with nationalized healthcare going to Thailand to get tuned up)

Most of the LT visitors in my Thailand village are europeon & there for HC, good food, beach / inexpensive massage... and warm winter. Many have been coming to Thailand annually for over 40 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 PM
 
Location: On the road
6,029 posts, read 2,930,172 times
Reputation: 11616
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most of the LT visitors in my Thailand village are europeon & there for HC, good food, beach / inexpensive massage... and warm winter.
Go ahead... you can say... and Thai wives 30 years younger than them that have to touch old shriveled penis but in return have the only house on the street with window air conditioners in every room, patiently waiting for their farang to get around to dying so they can finally have the place to themselves and their Thai-with-blue-eyes kids.

Viva Isan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 1,658,863 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Go ahead... you can say... and Thai wives 30 years younger than them that have to touch old shriveled penis but in return have the only house on the street with window air conditioners in every room, patiently waiting for their farang to get around to dying so they can finally have the place to themselves and their Thai-with-blue-eyes kids.

Viva Isan!
Yep. Lots of sex tourism too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 PM
 
17,402 posts, read 10,298,564 times
Reputation: 29052
Thailand for the pervy sex tourists (along with the P.I.).

Japan for the anime and all the quirky and weird stuff people see on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 PM
 
10,072 posts, read 4,710,233 times
Reputation: 15356
Orange County, CA seems to be the most appealing

get all the Asians without ever leaving the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top