U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Asian countries are most interesting to Americans? (Pick up to 3)
Cambodia 3 4.48%
China 16 23.88%
Japan 43 64.18%
Indonesia 7 10.45%
Laos 1 1.49%
Malaysia 4 5.97%
Philippines 10 14.93%
Singapore 8 11.94%
South Korea 10 14.93%
Taiwan 4 5.97%
Thailand 32 47.76%
Vietnam 11 16.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM

5,745 posts, read 3,695,229 times

Advertisements

Which Asian countries would you say are the most appealing to Americans? I'm referring to "appealing" in the sense of being someplace that you would like to visit on a vacation. If you've been to Asia, please list your favorites, and what you liked about them. And if you haven't, then please list the ones you'd most like to visit, and what it is about them that interests you. Please choose up to 3 of your favorites.

(By the way, I'm referring to East Asia and Southeast Asia here.)

Last edited by bus man; 08-07-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 PM

12,401 posts, read 18,500,102 times
For me, having been to most of the countries on your list, I would say Vietnam was a place that I really want to explore in more detail...maybe spend a good two week vacation there. It just appealed to me with the mix of history and culture, and the people love Americans.
Sadly I think most Americans would be comfortable in Singapore, which is like "asia-light" with it's shopping malls, English language, multi-culturalism, and ultra clean city. I find it sort of boring. I was there last week.
China has the variety but it's so large as to be difficult to classify. It has a lot to offer but you almost have to subclassify it - China Shanghai region, China Beijing, China Hong Kong. Many americans may not like the pollution. Right now here in China it's HOT, damn it's hot. Chinese don't like a/c. I need to get back to Mississippi where I live to cool off, seriously.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,945,724 times
I like all the countries on that list, but my favorite is probably Thailand.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:31 AM

15,133 posts, read 19,143,240 times
I didn't realize it was multiple choice and can't go back and change my vote. I voted for Thailand.

Had I realized, I would have voted Thailand, Singapore, and Japan. The last two are not MY favorites, but that wasn't the question.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:20 AM

517 posts, read 572,476 times
Japan is probably easily #1. Singapore is not really a country but going to be very western-friendly. South Korea is popping up more. Big cities in China can be just like any other modern city.

Thailand should be lots of fun too though!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM

1,813 posts, read 821,816 times
The poll doesn't really mean much.

I didn't see many Americans in Tokyo during my week long stay.

Thailand is extremely popular, especially among solo male travelers near retirement age.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:09 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,945,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Thailand is extremely popular, especially among solo male travelers near retirement age.
Biggest impression of tourists I get of Thailand over the last decade is that it looks like they just made it a province of China.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:07 PM

2,131 posts, read 2,921,620 times
I'm not surprised to see the poll result: Japan, Thailand, Singapore and China. In other words, the usual.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

517 posts, read 572,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The poll doesn't really mean much.

I didn't see many Americans in Tokyo during my week long stay.

This is curious to me. I know as a young person I'm biased towards the more modern/cosmopolitan Japan but I figure elderly folks also travel to China as well.

Do we have data to show that Americans do love Thailand much more and if so...I wonder why? (aside from the usual jokes about certain activities that Thailand is notorious for....I wonder if there are other reasons Thailand is such popular with older Americans)

Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 AM

1,813 posts, read 821,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
This is curious to me. I know as a young person I'm biased towards the more modern/cosmopolitan Japan but I figure elderly folks also travel to China as well.

Do we have data to show that Americans do love Thailand much more and if so...I wonder why? (aside from the usual jokes about certain activities that Thailand is notorious for....I wonder if there are other reasons Thailand is such popular with older Americans)
Jokes? No, it's damn serious.

Thailand is very affordable, the food is awesome, the beaches are nice too. Every business owner speaks some English, because all the tourists are foreigners in destinations like Phuket. If you have the money, you'll be amazed how many luxury resorts Phuket has.It's not rare for each room to have its private pool! There are more 5-star luxury hotels and resorts than New York City.

Japan is a developed country, and yes, it's easier to prefer Japan but it's very bland for tourists. Japan is immaculate except for there's not much to do. Most tourists don't bother to visit Japan again.

There are a lot of Americans living in China, mostly expats. I didn't see too many tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or