U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM

1,264 posts, read 795,606 times

Advertisements

Night before or morning of, depending on my flight time. My flights are usually LAX--JFK or LAX--MIA, so it really just depends on the time. If it's a 6am flight, I pack around 10PM. If it's an 8AM flight or later, I'll pack around 530am or whatever...I get to the airport usually 45 minutes before my flight boards (Global Entry/TSA and all that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:11 AM

7,315 posts, read 4,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Night before or morning of, depending on my flight time. My flights are usually LAX--JFK or LAX--MIA, so it really just depends on the time. If it's a 6am flight, I pack around 10PM. If it's an 8AM flight or later, I'll pack around 530am or whatever...I get to the airport usually 45 minutes before my flight boards (Global Entry/TSA and all that.)

I'm still stuck on that two hours before flight time arrival time. Don't know why. I arrived at the airport right at midnight and 10 minutes later I was in the sterile area. PreCheck got me in a little sooner, but there were only about 20 people in the other line.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Within 24-48 hours prior to my departure!

Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 8,572,788 times
I start laying out clothes starting a week before - especially if it's out-of-season clothes that I"m not currently wearing. For toiletries I try to have separate travel items so I can pack those early and avoid last minute having to remember them. That works mostly except for makeup that I don't have doubles of. But I plan early to have outfits in the same color family for easy mix and match to help keep it light.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 AM

5,272 posts, read 5,192,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Early am flight - night before.

Afternoon or evening flight - am that day.
Yup. I don't like feeling rushed even though I might not be.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I start laying out clothes starting a week before - especially if it's out-of-season clothes that I"m not currently wearing. For toiletries I try to have separate travel items so I can pack those early and avoid last minute having to remember them. That works mostly except for makeup that I don't have doubles of. But I plan early to have outfits in the same color family for easy mix and match to help keep it light.
Oh, that reminds me - one of the things that really helps us pack is keeping a little bag with toiletries pre-packed at all times. Usually, travel sizes. It's something I started when I was working and had to travel out of town often, sometimes at short notice. I made DH do the same thing.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I "pack" mentally for weeks before the trip, and I make multiple lists: clothes, toiletries, things to be done around the house before the trip (e.g., get cat sitter lined up). To me, planning the trip is as enjoyable as taking the trip.

As for the actual packing, that takes place the day before -- get the laundry done, any last-minute ironing, and put stuff into the suitcase and the carry-on bag.
I do this, too. I "pack" in my head so I have a plan of what I am taking clothes-wise. My toiletries are pretty much all ready to go other than what I will use the day I leave, but that goes in the bag as I use it so I don't forget it. Most things I have travel sized bottles all ready to go all the time.

Actual act of packing takes just a few minutes, so I can do that last minute. The farther ahead I do it, the more useless crap i seem to take, so packing last minute works best.

I have a ritual, though, of all laundry the night before. I also have to portion out my dog's food for the sitter and pack their stuff, and i like to change the sheets and clean the house so I have a clean house to come home to.

I've gotten my routine down pretty well as I have been travelling more. Just in the last 10 months I've been to Jamaica, San Diego, Sydney Australia, and will be going to Vegas again soon!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,085,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I do this, too. I "pack" in my head so I have a plan of what I am taking clothes-wise. My toiletries are pretty much all ready to go other than what I will use the day I leave, but that goes in the bag as I use it so I don't forget it. Most things I have travel sized bottles all ready to go all the time.

Actual act of packing takes just a few minutes, so I can do that last minute. The farther ahead I do it, the more useless crap i seem to take, so packing last minute works best.

I have a ritual, though, of all laundry the night before. I also have to portion out my dog's food for the sitter and pack their stuff, and i like to change the sheets and clean the house so I have a clean house to come home to.

I've gotten my routine down pretty well as I have been travelling more. Just in the last 10 months I've been to Jamaica, San Diego, Sydney Australia, and will be going to Vegas again soon!
I absolutely have to have a clean house to come back to! Beds made and everything.

Sounds like you've had some major fun traveling! Color me jealous

Old 08-09-2017, 08:26 AM

9,083 posts, read 9,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I absolutely have to have a clean house to come back to! Beds made and everything.

Sounds like you've had some major fun traveling! Color me jealous
I am making up for lost time! I was married to someone who refuses to fly, so we never went anywhere, I actually did not fly myself until 2011! Now I go as often as I can.

Just saw something on Facebook that said:

In everyday life: wears the same shirt every day for a week

On vacation: Well, I'll probably want to change several times a day, so that's 23 shirts

That is why I don't pack early. I start thinking "well, what if I don't feel like wearing that, and want to wear this instead?"

Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 AM

12,346 posts, read 18,450,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm heading out to the airport in 95 minutes for an eight day trip. I still have to shave and shower and pack my bag. This is pretty normal for me. How soon do you get ready before heading to the airport or whatever terminal?
We...those that travel a lot, never really unpack. The luggage is there with the essentials, just sitting in the corner. We just take out dirty clothes and replace with clean clothes. Takes all of 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel