U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,087,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am making up for lost time! I was married to someone who refuses to fly, so we never went anywhere, I actually did not fly myself until 2011! Now I go as often as I can.

Just saw something on Facebook that said:

In everyday life: wears the same shirt every day for a week

On vacation: Well, I'll probably want to change several times a day, so that's 23 shirts

That is why I don't pack early. I start thinking "well, what if I don't feel like wearing that, and want to wear this instead?"
Good for you!!! I love traveling. Sometimes the planning is more fun. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM

9,084 posts, read 9,536,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Good for you!!! I love traveling. Sometimes the planning is more fun. LOL
I love the planning and the (slightly obsessive) researching!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM

6,325 posts, read 6,996,682 times
I'm a day-of packer as well. Sometimes (short trips) it's fine. Other times it is not and I really should have started the day before lol.

Actually we "moved" down to Miami last weekend. And I actually started packing the day before for that!!

Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

9,738 posts, read 18,916,069 times
It depends on the trip. If it's just a weekend inter-island trip, then hardly any packing at all and it can be done in about ten minutes. If it's a mainland trip, then it can take days. Generally for those, we will take along clothes that are good enough to wear one more time but that we don't want to bring back. That gives us more room in luggage to bring things back. Sometimes on those trips, if we're going way outside of our climate zone (such as to Alaska from Hawaii) we don't have anything to pack anyway so we don't even bother. Just hit a thrift shop when we get there, buy clothes for while we're there and then give them back before we leave. The several times we've done that, it's been even cheaper than checking a bag.

It's the researching that can take longer than packing, anyway. I'll do a lot of 'looking around' at where we're planning on going via Google Earth Streetview and make notes of things that may be of interest. If we're only going to be somewhere for a few days, I don't want to spend them finding out what to do instead of doing it.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM

1,992 posts, read 1,221,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm heading out to the airport in 95 minutes for an eight day trip. I still have to shave and shower and pack my bag. This is pretty normal for me. How soon do you get ready before heading to the airport or whatever terminal?
oh lordy, you sound like my husband. He too thinks time waits for him.

Me, I'm packed the day before and ready to go out the door.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 PM

825 posts, read 567,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have a ritual, though, of all laundry the night before...I like to change the sheets and clean the house so I have a clean house to come home to.
I have always laundered everything the day/night before also. Then I choose what to pack for three people. Then I put all the extra clean clothes away and clean the house. Usually I stay up way too late the night of the trip doing this.

I'm rethinking this plan though after preparing for my last big trip, when I put my head down for a few minutes rest before I had actually finished packing. I slept through my 30-minute alarm and was awakened by the airport shuttle driver ringing my doorbell at 5am (as scheduled).

It was mortifying because I had to wake my two children (luckily they had showered the night before), hustle them into their traveling outfits, and finish the last bits of packing while the driver waited. I ran around the house doing all my usual last-minute checks of door and window locks and unplugging power cords. Somehow, the driver didn't seem perturbed at all to be kept waiting for almost 30 minutes. He said it happens all the time.

I've often had a nightmare where I have to leave for a flight, but I'm not packed and have overslept. Now I know what it feels like in real life...exactly the same.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM

15,770 posts, read 26,830,247 times
Commercial? Bag is packed and ready to go. If it won't fit in the overhead it won't be on the plane.

General Aviation? I have a flight bag.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM

13,829 posts, read 18,841,125 times
I think I usually pack the week of or the week before and then I make a checklist and mark things off as I put them in my suit case and or backpack . Then the morning of I do the check list again just to be sure . One can never be totally prepared .

Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM

39,935 posts, read 3,031,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Early am flight - night before.

Afternoon or evening flight - am that day.

Going away for a month? Definitely the day before. And checking that we have adequate prescription drugs 34 weeks in advance.
Yes I do this but only 3 weeks in advance re drugs. I don't get people who pack a month before they travel.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 PM

39,935 posts, read 3,031,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It depends on the trip. If it's just a weekend inter-island trip, then hardly any packing at all and it can be done in about ten minutes. If it's a mainland trip, then it can take days. Generally for those, we will take along clothes that are good enough to wear one more time but that we don't want to bring back. That gives us more room in luggage to bring things back. Sometimes on those trips, if we're going way outside of our climate zone (such as to Alaska from Hawaii) we don't have anything to pack anyway so we don't even bother. Just hit a thrift shop when we get there, buy clothes for while we're there and then give them back before we leave. The several times we've done that, it's been even cheaper than checking a bag.

It's the researching that can take longer than packing, anyway. I'll do a lot of 'looking around' at where we're planning on going via Google Earth Streetview and make notes of things that may be of interest. If we're only going to be somewhere for a few days, I don't want to spend them finding out what to do instead of doing it.
love the thrift shop idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel