U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM

9,082 posts, read 9,519,692 times

Advertisements

I find it more difficult when you are going from one climate to another. For instance, we went from Phoenix, AZ to Sydney Australia last month. In Phoenix it was summer, and temps were in the 110-115 F range, and in Sydney it was winter with temps in the 50-60 F range. I had to plan for what to wear on the plane and what to change into at each end as I didn't want to wear clothes for 115 degrees ad step outside in Sydney at 50, and vice versa. So, that took a bit more planning.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,882,128 times
I usually travel in the early morning, so I pack the night before for short trips. If it's a long trip, usually a couple of days before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:58 AM

4,060 posts, read 9,122,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgourmet View Post
and checking that we have adequate prescription drugs 34 weeks in advance.
lol!!!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM

6,272 posts, read 18,914,349 times
I don't have a lot of clothes or duplicate toiletry items laying around. I'll start gathering things I don't need to use before I leave, several days in advance. I rarely forget things. As long as my clothes are laundered I can be ready to go in 30 minutes or less!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
leaving for my next flight in an hour, haven't really given a second though to packing yet...(only for a few days)

When we did our 1 Yr long RTW, we packed a small backpack each, about a week before we left.
It was not perfect. ... never is. We survived ... always do (so far)

usually packing is done 20 min b4 departure. If I am smart, I do it one day b4.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:46 PM

602 posts, read 328,068 times
If I have everything ready the night before. If not a few nights before. If I don't have time and the energy the day of but those are usually driving trips.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM

1,256 posts, read 543,291 times
Start the day before, finishing just before heading out.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,001,104 times
I pack the day before typically because I need to do laundry to have fresh clothes to bring with. If I pack to much earlier then there might be something dirty that I want I bring. Toiletries I pack the day of.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:31 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,203,937 times
I start planning outfits over a month in advance...in my head at least.

I probably start packing about 2-3 weeks out. I am horrible at packing. I overpack and have to take a bunch of stuff out. And then I'm still overpacked because I've got a huge huge checked bag. I am realllly trying to do better about this. I have a possible trip coming up in early October and I am not bring a huge checked bag--only a carry on. Period. I'm already starting to mentally plan what I will wear. I'm a female and I tend to overpack accessories, clothes and shoes. I was watching YouTube videos recently on how 'not' to overpack.

I think I will pack less printed stuff and stick to neutrals...things that can be mixed and matched. Everything will pretty much be black or gray honestly (maybe a few white pieces). I may have to re-wear some things which I have never done on a trip before actually. In addition, I am looking into AirBnBs or hostels/hotels with laundry on site. That would be a life saver for me although I hate to do laundry on vacation. That way I could pack closer to half the amount I need and do laundry half way into the trip. The altenative is to wash clothes in my room so I may pack some travel laundry detergent.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM

4,017 posts, read 3,265,629 times
LOL to OP. I've known a few like that. Two, to be exact. Both were successful guys. I think I never met others because they self-destructed before I met them. The two I know are so smart they can throw it together, it sticks, and they wing it successfully.

I'm not quite that smart. I stress out w/o plans and min half day of plans even for a 1 day flying trip. I have never winged it, ever, not once (chuckle).

Takes me 35 min to prep in the morning, professional level. My clothes are pre-prepped (ironed). 20 min if grabbing clean junk from the floor and closet to wear, quick shave. 10 min if going Commando and combing my hair in the car, wiping the sleep off my face w/an oily shop rag stuffed under a seat and breakfast is a old burrito under the other seat.

I have pretty good checklists, developed over past roughly 7 years when I traveled often (as much as half-time). I can run them, fast. Some take pre-check tasks (charge this or that, call this or that). All that could be let slide if I had to, what PMs call "crashing". If I had to crash it, I'd bring a big bag, toss stuff from my list in, and sort at destination. Onboard bag(s) would have critical computer(s), tickets (on cell phone). I'd bring aux charger for cell phone and download tickets at the airport, or have bag checker do it.

I am Global Pass so security is usually easier. Not always, but mostly a godsend.

Held a gun to my head, could do this in 95 min for eight day trip. Would be ugly, though! OP must be a magician.

My bugout plan is still about half-hour, and very ugly. I'd mostly shelter in place during a disaster around here, given the high ground and naturation fortifications, barring fire or fallout or other reason I needed to flee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel