U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM

2,474 posts, read 904,742 times

Advertisements

I pack at least two weeks in advance depending on how long I'll be gone. I'm headed out on the 7th for two weeks and I got most of it done yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:23 PM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times
"It depends"

I do business travel every week. I make sure my work-oriented clothes are washed well ahead of time. I fortunately don't need to worry about dry cleaning with what I'm doing for a living now. The actual packing of the bag is an hour before I'm out the door. That's routine. I'm not going to forget anything.

A 2 week vacation trip out of the country, I start organizing things much earlier. I have three addresses. I make sure I have my passport. I make sure I have plug adapters for the electrical outlets in the countries I'm visiting. Sometimes that's Amazon Prime because they're all at some other house.

I've done a lot of summer ski trips over the years. Those are the most challenging because all my gear is at the wrong house. I sometimes partially pack a ski bag, a boot bag, and a wheeled duffel in May for a September trip because I know I'm not going to get to my winter place.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 PM

9,075 posts, read 9,505,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I start planning outfits over a month in advance...in my head at least.

I probably start packing about 2-3 weeks out. I am horrible at packing. I overpack and have to take a bunch of stuff out. And then I'm still overpacked because I've got a huge huge checked bag. I am realllly trying to do better about this. I have a possible trip coming up in early October and I am not bring a huge checked bag--only a carry on. Period. I'm already starting to mentally plan what I will wear. I'm a female and I tend to overpack accessories, clothes and shoes. I was watching YouTube videos recently on how 'not' to overpack.

I think I will pack less printed stuff and stick to neutrals...things that can be mixed and matched. Everything will pretty much be black or gray honestly (maybe a few white pieces). I may have to re-wear some things which I have never done on a trip before actually. In addition, I am looking into AirBnBs or hostels/hotels with laundry on site. That would be a life saver for me although I hate to do laundry on vacation. That way I could pack closer to half the amount I need and do laundry half way into the trip. The altenative is to wash clothes in my room so I may pack some travel laundry detergent.
I think I see your problem! You are packing too early!

I stopped packing more than a day in advance, because if I packed too far out, I would take way too much stuff. I'd start to justify it..."but when I get there I might not FEEL like wearing these 14 dresses, I might want to wear one of these 8 instead! We are going to be gone for 5 days, I better take 12 pairs of shoes, just in case!" Then I come home and unpack and I find all of the clothes I never even looked at while I was away, much of it needs rewashing from being jammed in a suitcase for so long.

Now I have a mental plan in my head ahead of time and pack the night before at the earliest!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:52 PM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
It sort of depends on the type of travel - camping in the little travel trailer, car trip, plane trip and short vs long term.

I try to make a list in advance and then start hunting things up a week or so in advance. I usually toss certain accessories (paperwork, reservations, tickets, umbrella, electronic chargers, meds like antihistamines, gloves, rain hat, flip flops, snorkel mask, whatever) in a box, awaiting final pack and decide what I am going to be wearing, what shoes I need. A couple of days in advance I start pulling out clothes, making sure everything I want is clean and in good order and that I have the proper numbers in clean underwear and socks.

I don't generally actually pack until the day before as I check off the list I have already made - why get things wrinkled/folded/creased in advance?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:19 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,101,044 times
I mentally pack several days in advance. I will usually pack a day or 2 before the trip. For me other than if there is variable weather involved (which really sets me in a tizzy) the hardest part I find is figuring out what to wear for the actual travel. Yes I know layers but I somehow find it very challenging to be assured that I won't be cold or too warm on the plane/airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel