Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 31,325 times

Advertisements

The non-naked roommate should just ask the naked one to please cover up. No drama needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Attitudes toward modesty, exposure, and the desire for privacy / safe space have been gradually becoming more restrictive for decades - a consequence both of greater presence of cultures where this is an issue (Latin and Islamic in particular), and the financial ability to accommodate this.

The dormitories in which I spent most of my first year as an undergraduate probably represented a construction cost of no more than $10,000 per occupant. That policy assumed two persons per room (and in the draft-avoiding culture of 1966-70, up to six in converted "study lounges"). There was a communal bath -- usually with individual shower stalls, but sometimes "open" in the manner of a high school locker room. Since women weren't permitted on the residence floors, it was accepted to walk through the hall in just a pair of shorts -- but nobody went totally undressed -- since that would have "sent the wrong message".

I'm sure this would be a surprise in some of the teenagers of the present day, who expect something akin to a separate apartment, not to mention the extra expense of furnishing it.
In what world?

I work in a university environment. While we definitely get complaints about the increasing number of forced triples (i.e. 3 people in a room designed for 2 - two bunk beds, one lofted bed over a desk, and three people sharing 2 closets), no one expects singles. Aside from a few on-campus townhouses where 6 occupants share 2 bathrooms, all the bathrooms are communal. This is typical at most universities, from state schools to the top 10% of tuition costs. Most of the halls and even many of the bathrooms are coed, though rooms themselves are single gender.

I think you've been reading a bit too many anti-Millennial hot takes.

But back on topic, because I've always worked in higher ed and nonprofits, I've always had to share a room with a colleague or fellow board member when traveling on their dime. Sometimes it's been a complete stranger, especially in the latter case. It would be very uncomfortable for someone to be lounging around naked, or even to briefly be naked. Even in small hotel bathrooms, there's room to change there.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The naked lady is 70 years old.
If the lady is 70, don't look down, and you won't see anything you don't want to see!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Hahaha! My BFF was always nekkid when we traveled no matter where we were.

I used to take her sailing on my friends boat and that is the first thing she'd do is strip.

Some people are just more comfortable nekkid.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I've only had to share a hotel room with a workmate once...and we were both shocked because we'd never had to before. It was a small not-for-profit so I guess understandable. Since I've been employed at a "real" company it's never been an issue...sorry, no roommates, I'm not in college any more!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
There's a "generation gap" perception issue here; Americans born before, roughly 1975, particularly males, were more likely to have shared group showers in High School Phys Ed or similar situations.

"Students Still Sweat, They Just Don't Shower"

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-09-2017 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:10 AM

619 posts, read 575,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Would you have a problem with a naked roommate in your hotel room? A friend of mine made a big deal about her roommate running around the hotel room naked. What do you think about this?
I don't know what "running around nekkid" means - getting dressed in the main room is one thing, but spending more than a few moments nekkid would bother mje.

I'm used to it from going to the gym for years, don't love it. Don't really get the need that some people have to walk around for thirty minutes with no clothing on while they do their hair and makeup.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Girl ok........guy not ok!!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
It would make me uncomfortable, but that's just me. LOL. I believe in bathrobes.

Reminds me of some colleagues who went to a couple of conferences and shared a hotel room. One colleague told us how the other was naked a LOT - no modesty whatsoever.

The interesting thing is that the 'naked one' is very 'conservative' - i.e. Has a Victorian home fully decorated in all the Victorian antique memorabilia, wears clothing totally buttoned up with those old-fashioned cameo broche pins at the neck, unfashionably long skirts- just really matronly. But in the hotel room... it's like she's at a nudist colony. Haha.

The story always made me feel uncomfortable, too.
Maybe the "Haha" is on you. You seem to be doing the proverbially judging a book by its cover. The woman in question doesn't seem to be worried about the cover at all.

Sounds like you are the conservative one.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffBeach2001 View Post
The non-naked roommate should just ask the naked one to please cover up. No drama needed.
"Oh glad to. Sorry, didn't mean to excite you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel