U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,553,315 times

Advertisements

I have done it but instead recommend looking for one of the more moderate carriers when on sale. We flew delta to Brussels for <400 last year and booked flights to Paris for <500 about a month ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I have done it but instead recommend looking for one of the more moderate carriers when on sale. We flew delta to Brussels for <400 last year and booked flights to Paris for <500 about a month ago.
It doesn't even have to be a mid price carrier. Right now Emirates is offering flights from Newark to Athens (if you buy two or more tickets) for under $400 a person. They often offer JFK to Milan for similar rates.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,561,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It doesn't even have to be a mid price carrier. Right now Emirates is offering flights from Newark to Athens (if you buy two or more tickets) for under $400 a person. They often offer JFK to Milan for similar rates.
They're running JFK to Milan right now. Going to talk to the wife and see if she wants to head out there in May. Don't think it'd be warm enough for the Amalfi Coast, at least for swimming.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM

916 posts, read 469,383 times
There are many bargain flights out there and great for individuals/ family on a budget. However when you factor in the cramped seating (just be sure you want to endure this for 7-10 hours) , all the additional charges, well, a bargain might not be a bargain.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
My daughter flew Norwegian from LAX to LHR for about $300-$400, one way. No check in ahead, but the flight was fine.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,707,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My daughter and I flew from Orlando to London Gatwick on Norwegian a few months ago. Yes, the advertised price is very low.

However, the low-cost air fare did not include an assigned seat, a credit card surcharge, food, checked luggage, and probably other fees that I'm forgetting.

We upgraded our tickets to include assigned seats (no upgrade in class of service), meals, and one checked bag each. That brought the price up considerably.
Well said. Don't think you are getting a bargain until you have figured all of the charges and their con games. If one is used to the full service carriers as I am, getting hit with a charge for a seat and another charge for luggage is an insult. About seven years ago I made a reservation online to fly from Kiev to Oslo on Wizz Air. It was my first trip on a discount airline and I marveled at how I was able to fly almost completely across Europe for just a few dollars. At the gate they weighed my luggage and hit me with about a $400 extra charge for one overweight checked suitcase, payable in cash only in their currency only. After I got rid of their currency because I was leaving the country. This was the same size and weight suitcase I had flown across the Atlantic with many times and on many flights in Europe and I was never charged extra.

I just read where EasyJet stranded some British travelers in the south of France. As for Ryanair, I can't begin to tell you how many horror stories I have heard about. If you are going discount, let the buyer beware.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:59 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,707,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Actually I don't think Wow is too good to be true. I have flown them to Amsterdam and Reykjavik and both experiences we good. I think they are fine when traveling from the east coast since the flight from Baltimore to Iceland is about 6 hours. The plane was comfortable, with the only downside being that there isn't any in-flight entertainment or wifi. Your biggest potential expenses with Wow are bag fees and food on board and both can avoided with some planning. If you are flying from the west coast, I agree that they may not be as attractive since you are looking at 9 hours to just get to Iceland.

I do welcome the presence of low cost carriers because it makes international travel more affordable and I think it will start to change the way we think about going to some international destinations. When I went to Iceland, I left on a Thursday night and returned on Sunday evening and the ticket was under $300 which was cheaper than a weekend getaway to the west coast but roughly the same amount of travel time. Add another day or two and you can venture further into mainland Europe. It encourages people to look at Europe as more than an once in a lifetime destination that needs 2 to 3 weeks of time to "make it worth it" I hope that as these carriers become more popular it would start to encourage more airlines to provide service to these destinations at a discounted price.
Just out of curiosity, how can bag fees be avoided? The only way I can think of is if I join a nudist camp for the time I am across the pond.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:14 AM

424 posts, read 497,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how can bag fees be avoided? The only way I can think of is if I join a nudist camp for the time I am across the pond.
Whenever I travel I never bring luggage. Only because once on a flight on my return home to NYC from Minneapolis, my checked bags never arrived at the baggage claim.

I got my checked bags back one week later with a bunch of items stolen out of the bag and the lock cut off of it. They paid me for my missing items (Delta airline).

Whenever I travel for vacation now, I'm always someplace warm so I just buy a bunch of inexpensive shorts and tank tops once I arrive. Other than that, it's either a carry-on or nothing.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You go carry-on only, and you take very little. You plan to do a lot of sink laundry.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,433,828 times
The cheapest WOW fares don't allow for carryon, only a "personal item".

I suppose one could land then buy a few outfits from someplace like Zara or H&M and still look presentable on a trip for less than the baggage fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or